• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quaraong

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I do agree with you. It's just that I am a cheapo when it comes to spending $$ on training, guns, ammo, or range. I only take CHL class to be able to carry in the future. I only go to the range on 1/2 off day. My guns are not to exceed $400. My ammo are not to exceed $0.02/rnd. I personally justify spending $$ on ammo coz it's giving me fun shooting time. Plus, I am really lazy to drive 1.5hrs+ to train.
    You do realize that 3-4 boxes of ammo will easily cost $70+?
    After shooting that at the range with your "free" advice, it is likely you won't improve too much, or maybe you will.
    Jon is a pro, you can get alot more out of spending that same $70 on him.
    Just my .02.

ETA: I was referring to 100rd boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I get not being motivated to spend money on training (but I'd take his deal)

I couldn't put a $400 limit on my guns though. Miss out on way too much fun that way.

Keyston512

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Austin
    I do agree with you. It's just that I am a cheapo when it comes to spending $$ on training, guns, ammo, or range. I only take CHL class to be able to carry in the future. I only go to the range on 1/2 off day. My guns are not to exceed $400. My ammo are not to exceed $0.02/rnd. I personally justify spending $$ on ammo coz it's giving me fun shooting time. Plus, I am really lazy to drive 1.5hrs+ to train.

Spending a little bit on training could go a long way in a short amount of frustration trying to self correct/diagnosis an issue. I started shooting sporting clays and had trouble with a few issues that I couldn't fix by watching youtube videos or reading forum posts. One day I happened to talk to a member about it and he was able to correct within a few birds. Granted I didn't have to pay for the advice but nothing beats getting hands on training from someone who knows what they are talking about. It definitely made sporting clays more enjoyable for me.

Last edited:

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Reading this thread sounds like this...

I wanna be a race car driver.
    How do I shift properly, stay in the torque band, enter the corners, etc.???

Resident expert says, "I'll teach you one on one for the price of a tank of fuel."

To which the newb says, "I'm lazy, I'll learn on my Xbox."

You're a damn fool if you think you're saving money by not getting with Jon Payne.

If he were a fly by night instructor that nobody knew, that would be one thing. Jon is the real deal.

Vince Lombardi said "Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I used to coach kids bowling. The more I learned, the better the kids got. And the worse I got.
    Self coaching does not work well most of the time. Jon's offer is a good one.

from an idgit coffeeholic

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The problem with self teaching is that you have to accidentally do something right, then figure out what you accidentally did right, then figure out how to repeat it. And you have to do that with every thing from sight picture, to grip, to stance.

And even then you may only have found a "better" way, but not the "best" way. I've burned a lot of ammo self teaching myself. Enjoyed it, but no doubt would be a much better shot if I'd invested money and a few hours in a real class at some point.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    This advice is worth what you are paying for it.

I have had many people that had this problem fix it by using the tip of their finger to pull the trigger. This is not a permanent solution, but it helps isolate the finger as being the problem. You can then work on a better method after determining that the trigger pull is the problem.
    YMMV

quaraong

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I do believe that its my finger placement. Spent some time at a friend's ranch yesterday experimenting with different finger placement and I clearly improved by using the middle part of the middle phalanx instead of the joint between the distal phalanx and the middle phalanx. It did feel really uncomfortable squeezing the trigger that way but it definitely reduced jerking. In other word, my finger is not long enough for a comfortable and a proper squeeze. Did some more google searching and found that sig does sell a slim version of the trigger as a replacement that can help with my issue since it would allow me to place the whole middle joint on the trigger instead of only part of it. Gonna call sig tuesday to inquire about it.
    This advice is worth what you are paying for it.

I have had many people that had this problem fix it by using the tip of their finger to pull the trigger. This is not a permanent solution, but it helps isolate the finger as being the problem. You can then work on a better method after determining that the trigger pull is the problem.
    YMMV

quaraong

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I know I know but that's my method of preventing possible guns addiction :)
    I get not being motivated to spend money on training (but I'd take his deal)

I couldn't put a $400 limit on my guns though. Miss out on way too much fun that way.

quaraong

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Jon maybe a "real deal" but I wouldn't know since I am new. But thats not the point. You are upset because I decided not to get a training with Jon and that my opinion is different than yours. then you call me a damn fool? wow...thats very mature of you sir!
    Reading this thread sounds like this...

I wanna be a race car driver.
    How do I shift properly, stay in the torque band, enter the corners, etc.???

Resident expert says, "I'll teach you one on one for the price of a tank of fuel."

To which the newb says, "I'm lazy, I'll learn on my Xbox."

You're a damn fool if you think you're saving money by not getting with Jon Payne.

If he were a fly by night instructor that nobody knew, that would be one thing. Jon is the real deal.

Vince Lombardi said "Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Jon maybe a "real deal" but I wouldn't know since I am new. But thats not the point. You are upset because I decided not to get a training with Jon and that my opinion is different than yours. then you call me a damn fool? wow...thats very mature of you sir!

That's not even remotely upset.

But thanks for recognizing that I approached this in a mature fashion.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    There's a huge difference between coaching and training. I offered coaching. If you knew my fees for training you might suffer an aneurism.

quaraong

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2016
    Houston, TX
    yeah, my cheapo brain already froze at your coaching fee
    There's a huge difference between coaching and training. I offered coaching. If you knew my fees for training you might suffer an aneurism.

Top Bottom