• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Several months back I picked up a Sig 556 Classic with the bundled red dot. I've only taken it out twice to shoot and I find I can't hit a damn thing. Understand I was brought up on iron sights and learned to shoot that way. I'm thinking I may lack technique for using a red dot, or the bundled red dot might just be "junk".

What I'd like to find is an appropriate rear iron site to add to the riffle, besides the cheesy "back up" site built into in the weapon, or possibly a different type of holo sight. Maybe something with a crosshair type display. Any recommendations? Keep the budget reasonable a high end of maybe $750 or so.

Due to my lack of experience with red dots what is the proper technique?
    Texas SOT

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Generally red dots are parralax free, meaning if you can see the dot and it is on target, your bullet should go there also. Proper cheek weld is not as important as a conventional scope. That is the good red dots. I don't have any info on the ones that come with the Sigs, but it should be a quality sight. The one on your rifle may very well be defective. Are you shooting off a bench or good rest of some sort? Shooting offhand is possibly part of the problem as well. What distance are you trying to sight in at? Have you tried different ammo?

You can get a good Aimpoint for $300- $400 new, or more, depending on your needs. A good flip up rear sight can be had for $100+, depending on your needs also. There are some decent ones for less also.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I was just braced against a large tree, I was in the woods with a target stapled to a large tree. BUT I was shooting just as poorly on a rest at the previous "session". The distance was only about 75 yds, I was having difficulty just hitting the target at first so I figured to start at a short distance and work my way back. The dot is somewhat large and has a "glare" that obscures a large part of the target

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    There are a few company that make specific BUIS sites to go on the SiG. Standard AR BUIS rears won't work with the Factory SiG hooded front or fold down post sites and AR BUIS fronts don't attach to the SiG front sight rail on the gas block. Midwest industries does make a flip down front sight that is designed to mount on the SiG gas block and is the right height to use standard AR BUIS. Other wise you are looking at SiG factory dioper sights (pricey), Aurora Dioper rear and front (pricey and long wait), LPA rear (works with SiG flip down front). Here is a link to a good thread with some comparisons of the sights for look and height (SIG 556 :: View topic - Sig 556 sight height comparison - The Visual -).

I'm assuming you zeroed the sight before you shot it? The SiG dots are not exactly quality items, which is rough considering how much the rifles cost you. You may want to move closer in to get the dot initially sighted in.

malladus

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Alright, I think my problem has been one mainly of ignorance. This is the first red dot I've ever had. After reading some posts on the site linked in the above post I think I have found my main problem. I was attempting to use the red dot as I would an iron site, under the misunderstanding that it replaced the rear site and was used in combination with the front. A little further reading has led me to understand this type of site is not really meant for a fine site but quick target aqquisition with a reasonable accuracy but not really tack driving accuracy.

I guess never to old to learn something new.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Correct, the red dot is used by itself.
    Also, you should set the "brightness" down as low as you can to not interfere with your target (assuming this is similar to an Aimpoint).
    Don't forget you get what you pay for if this is a "cheapie" red dot......

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    The red dot was part of a bundle, in bright daylight it has to be set at its brightest setting to be usable. I'm gonna look around the WWW and find something that will work for me.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have no personal experience with the Sig red dot, but the general consensus on it is that its not a very good one. A couple pointers on red-dots in general... Use it with both eyes open, and focus on the target not the dot. Think of it more as an "overlay" and not a sight. If the dot looks "fuzzy" even after following those suggestions, it could be that the sight is messed up, you have it dialed too bright, or you need a new eyeglass prescription.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom