• ...and so much more!
  • Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I have a friend that runs the local pawn shop. After I got to know him, we were talking one day and he asked me if I liked shrimp. I sounded like Forest Gump's friend, Bubba, when I started saying how much I liked shrimp. As it turns out, my friend has a friend that delivers fresh Gulf Coast shrimp about every other week. All he does is make a list of what people want, calls the guy, he delivers in a couple of days. There are 2 sizes, Medium and Large. The price is $40 for 10 pounds of Medium and $50 for 10 pounds of Large. The shrimp are then deheaded and deveined which brings them down to about 8 pounds of shrimp.

I have bought Mediums only and they are about 20 count shrimp, very nice ones. I take them and put 24-25 shrimp in a freezer bag, fill the bag with water, freeze them. These are some of the best shrimp I've ever had. I have boiled them, grilled them, pan fried them, they always turn out great. Tomorrow evening we'll be having Shrimp n Grits.

Shrimp1.jpg

Shrimp2.jpg

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I can boil shrimp and get them perfect every time. I also did a boil a couple of weeks ago and I got lucky. The taters, corn, and sausage were done and the shrimp wasn't overcooked.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I don't know if it's still as cheap as it use to be, but some years ago, when I was married to ex-wife #2, we visited her parents in Pasadena twice a year. We would take two very large coolers with us and we would drive over to Kemah and buy fresh seafood coming straight off the boats. We mainly bought fresh fish and shrimp, and for a couple hundred dollars, both of those large coolers were packed to the brim!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Cajun woman once explained to me that shrimp don't take long to cook. If they're in a "C" shape, that means they're cooked. If they're in an "O" shape, that means they are over-cooked.

It's that simple.
    I didn't know that one. Shrimp doesn't take very long to cook.

The method I learned and have used for years:

Image result for shrimp cooking times

This is the trick: You want to keep an eye on the crevice in the back of the shrimp where the vein was removed. Stay locked onto the thickest part of the shrimp (the opposite end as the tail), and when the flesh at the base of that crevice turns from translucent to opaque, the shrimp is done. It's cooked through.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    When I do a boil for the wife and I at home, I put the potatoes in first for 10 minutes, then add the sausage and corn for 10 more minutes, turn the burner off, add the shrimp and close the lid. The residual heat is plenty to cook the shrimp, but not overcook them.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    That's great! We used to have a guy who would come up from the coast to our work every couple of weeks during the season with a couple of giant igloos filled with shrimp. Good eating. We had shrimp and grits Monday.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Throw them and some scallops in a veggie basket on the grill along with your favorite seasoning. After awhile, throw in onion, bell peppers, zucchini and some whole portabella mushrooms. Redneck one dish meal.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I like fried and boiled shrimp. But my other favorite is bbq shrimp from Pascal’s Manale in Nola. Butter, Cajun seasoning and Leidenheimer French bread to sop up what's left.

Top Bottom