• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Seek professional guidance. There are many posting here with good intentions, but depression is serious and cannot be diagnosed over an internet forum.

There are plenty of statistics regarding guns and suicide, many slanted towards the agenda of those making the studies.

I wish you well
    Guns International

AndyMitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Austin/Schertz/SA
    Wow! Thanks for all the responses! I really appreciate all the input.

I've been pushing my brother to find a job and he has applied a few places. He seems like he has been doing better as of late and is still taking his medicine regularly which is good.

I'm still on the fence however. There are arguments both ways that make sense.
    If I do end up purchasing a gun I would most likely get the safe as well. Even if I didn't have a depressed brother I think the safe is a good idea.

Also, the deal I was looking into is gone already. So if I do end up purchasing something I'm counting on one of you guys to hook me up!

Seriously though, I thank each of you for your insight into the situation and welcome any further input.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    He seems like he has been doing better as of late and is still taking his medicine regularly which is good.

Not sure what his condition is exactly, aside from depression (not my business to ask), but if he is even remotely mentally ill YOU may end up in hot water if he does anything crazy with your gun.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Keep in mind that we are offering up opinions only and do not have a full grasp of your situation. It sounds like you are going into this "thinking" which is very good.

Good luck!

AndyMitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Austin/Schertz/SA
    London - My brother is clinically depressed. I've talked with him about suicide before, but he said he has never seen that as an option or something that he wants to do. He is a little overweight and lacks a strong social life. Honestly, I think he is stuck in a rut and his depression is just stopping him from getting out of it. He is making progress now but things are moving slowly. I'm trying to help him as much as I can.

doubled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    frisco, tx
    This is less about "should you own a firearm" and more about what to do for your brother; redundant to most of the posts in this thread already but important to drive home.

If your brother is suicidally depressed, nothing is going to stop that from happening other than intervention. No gun in the house? Car keys. No Car Keys? Alcohol and Pills. No Alcohol and Pills? Shoe laces... and and and.

Encourage him to talk with someone, offer to go with him. If you think he is a danger to himself, intervene.

Again, nothing that hasn't been said but remember lack of action can often times be worse than taking no action in a situation like this.... even if that action drives a temporary wedge between you and your brother by "interfering".

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    Andy, I can't advise you on any of the items. Not knowing the whole situation, but I do highly commend you for the thought you have put into this.

Wish you all the luck!

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Agreed with everyone else here, commending you for the thought you give to your brother.
    Get a safe right away, so the next time a deal comes your way, you will be better able to take advantage of it.
    I always advise anyone I know who doesn't already own a firearm if they're thinking about getting one, to have a place they can store it, before they get it.

Start looking at safes right now. And good luck.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    London - My brother is clinically depressed. I've talked with him about suicide before, but he said he has never seen that as an option or something that he wants to do. He is a little overweight and lacks a strong social life. Honestly, I think he is stuck in a rut and his depression is just stopping him from getting out of it. He is making progress now but things are moving slowly. I'm trying to help him as much as I can.

help him get a job, take him to church, and introduce him to some hot chicks. that should help.

Top Bottom