• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AndyMitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Austin/Schertz/SA
    Howdy all.

I'm new around here and I am seeking some advice.

I'm a 20 year old college student who is just getting into the shooting/plinking/hunting scene. I have been perusing forums and other weapon resource sites for a while and recently began looking for a cheap handgun or rifle that I could use to plink and practice with.
    I was given the opportunity to purchase a small .38 Special revolver from a friend the other day for a steal of a deal but ended up not going through with it.

The reason I didn't do it was because of my parents.
    Before you tell me to grow up and make my own decisions let me explain my situation...

I do not live at home but I asked my parents what they thought about me owning a gun. Both of them were not keen on the idea at all. When I asked them why, they gave me a few reasons which I thought were inconsequential but there was one that really stuck in my mind. I live in an apartment with my jobless 23 year old brother who suffers from depression. As far as I know he is not even close to suicide, but there are many days where he doesn't leave his room or will be down in the dumps.

My parents concern was that I would be storing the gun at the apartment where he would have access to it and could use it on himself. Mind you my brother has never shown any suicidal thoughts or tendencies but the medicine he is on when mixed with other things can have those side effects.

I argued that I would keep it locked at all times until it got to the range and would be stored away under lock and key. They still were not convinced.

I decided not to buy it but now I am thinking I passed up a once in a lifetime deal.
    (He was practically giving it to me)

I would like to hear what you guys think...
    Texas SOT

ghostscout

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Cedar Park/ North Austin
    Well if you still decide to pass it up, let me in on the deal and ill buy it. Haha.
    But seriously there are many reasons to own. It's a hobby, self defense, collectors, weekend shooting. You get the idea. In my opinion if you feel justified in owning it and are responsible then why not? There are plenty of people here who may be in a similar situation and/or have kids and are still able to own. The idea is being responsible with it. If your.concern is with your brother, buy a pistol safe that only you know the password to or have the key for. if that doesn't solve the issue you could always move out.
    Best of luck.

AndyMitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Austin/Schertz/SA
    Ghost - Thanks for the advice. I'm still wrestling with the idea. Even thought about keeping it from my parents but I'm not a little kid anymore and I feel like I shouldn't have to keep secrets from them. I just don't want them to worry about it. We'll see...

Note - I turn 21 in a couple days :)

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    another thing, if your brother would happen to be suicidal it isn't going to matter what he does it with, he WILL use anything at his disposal, knife, pills, rope, gun, etc etc... but what if the off chance he does decide to take his life, and gets it in his head to take you as well so you and him can spend eternity together... how are you going to defend yourself.

People are more likely to commit suicide that own a gun. Pulling the trigger and going to la-la land is alot easier than suffering through pills, cutting yourself, etc.

I would just bar him from gaining access to it via a simple safe. Take away the easy access and the urge won't be there.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm with Texas 1911 on this one. If your worried your brother might might shoot himself with the gun, I wouldn't put myself in a situation where he could have access to it. There are a lot of good options out there. Handgun safes comes in all shapes, sizes, and costs. those simple ones from Academy cost about $100. Biometric ones about $320.

Good luck. Be safe, have fun.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Very great responses here. Why should your brother have to know you got it anyway? I will also say that I for one, applaud you in taking such thought on the matter. Owning a firearm is a serious responsiblity and you asking for opinions here and even with your parents says your open minded and trying to see from every angle. There is nothing wrong with the pros and cons list.

The reason I didn't do it was because of my parents.
    Before you tell me to grow up and make my own decisions let me explain my situation...
    I will also say that I still ask my parents for their advice. They have never guided me wrong. We were taught to respect their ways and just cause you grow older doesnt mean you cant ask 'ole mom and pop for their advice. They have been around longer than we have.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Lock your door, keep the gun in a safe when you aren't carrying it (which shouldn't be very often), problem solved. In the mean time, go spend some time with your brother. Remove the problem out at the root and all your other worries about it will disappear.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Seems to me a big help here would be to get the brother off of his ass and employed. If he's really clinically depressed, get him some help. If he's just bummed, he needs a kick in the ass to get him going. I'm not trying to be mean here... but some people will play victim as long as you will let them.

They don't get that chance in my house... plus I bet he'd be thankful in the long run if you helped him get life back in gear!

doubled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    frisco, tx
    People are more likely to commit suicide that own a gun. Pulling the trigger and going to la-la land is alot easier than suffering through pills, cutting yourself, etc.

I would just bar him from gaining access to it via a simple safe. Take away the easy access and the urge won't be there.

Have anything to back this up? This is like saying "People who live near bridges are more likely to commit suicide" because the rapid descent to the bottom is easier than popping a bottle of ambien.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Seems to me a big help here would be to get the brother off of his ass and employed. If he's really clinically depressed, get him some help. If he's just bummed, he needs a kick in the ass to get him going. I'm not trying to be mean here... but some people will play victim as long as you will let them.

They don't get that chance in my house... plus I bet he'd be thankful in the long run if you helped him get life back in gear!
    Kinda what I was thinking.
    BTW, your decission to own a gun is your own decission. Nobody can make that decission for you. Lots of people get depressed about life's little problems, but they deal with it.
    As far as your brother goes, cant help you there either. If it were my brother, I would help him all I could. I would also start by kicking his ass and making him get a job. Not working and staying cooped up in an apartment might not be the bast thing for depression. Getting active and involved with something does wonders for a person emotions.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    I'm a 20 year old college student who is just getting into the shooting/plinking/hunting scene. I have been perusing forums and other weapon resource sites for a while and recently began looking for a cheap handgun or rifle that I could use to plink and practice with.
    I was given the opportunity to purchase a small .38 Special revolver from a friend the other day for a steal of a deal but ended up not going through with it.

If plinking is going to be a big part of your shooting experience then get a .22 pistol or rifle. Ammo is cheap in that caliber, and that's a great selling point.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It's commendable that you consider others while deciding whether to get a gun or not, don't let anyone push you into a situation where you are not absolutely comfortable with the results.

As others have already stated, there are numerous ways a person can attempt to harm themselves; but there are studies that show that firearms are more likely to be lethal than other commonly used methods of attempting suicide (according to this older study in the New England Journal of Medicine).

And as others have also suggested, there are ways to minimize the chances of your brother doing harm to himself with your firearm. A good safe and OPSEC (the concept of "loose lips sink ships," or keeping the fact that you have a gun a secret) will decrease the chance of him and/or your parents knowing about it. There may be some guilt feelings about keeping this information from loved ones, but once you reconcile that it's for everyone's greater good you'll realize it's the best course of action available.

If you really want a firearm, you should get one; but much like parents of small children you need to consider all aspects of your situation before introducing the weapon into your home. Use the above precautions, and do what you can to help your brother improve his situation, and I for one believe you can greatly minimize the risk. You can never mitigate it completely, but you can do a lot to reduce it.

Good luck, and I hope all turns out well for you and your brother!

Cheers! M2

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX

+1

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Already covered but I'll throw in my opinion anyway. Buy a gun. Keep it locked up when it is not under your control. Tell no one you have it.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    As someone who has pulled a loaded gun from the mouth of a friend, depression and possible suicide are serious issues. When the brain chemistry goes out of whack...all bets are off. I would have bet my life that he would have never done that...glad I didn't. Take it very seriously and do what you can to help him.

Also, I am of the opinion that there are 2 types of suicide...for attention and for results. If its for results, whether there is a gun there or not won't matter. Plenty of people are found having hung themselves, etc.

However, if your brother did kill himself with your gun, it would probably be way worse for your mental condition, so why risk it? If you want a gun, get a combo lock safe so there is no key for him to find/steal. Memorize the combo and burn the original.

Gool luck and happy almost birthday.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    A person who is willing to kill himself is just as willing to kill others around him. If you're seriously worried about your brother being suicidal, maybe this discussion should be more about seeking professional help for your brother. If he is truly suicidal, the gun will only make the effort a little easier. Not having a gun will not prevent it. You need to think long and hard, because we're not just talking about his safety; we're also talking about yours.

Why are you buying a gun? If you want a gun for sport, the answer is easy. Either don't get it or be sure it's locked away safely. If the weapon is for self-defense, you'll need to devise a plan to stay in control of that firearm 100% of the time.

To address Alan's statement about guns and suicide: The presence of guns does not increase the likelihood of suicide. A study using statistics gathered from Canada before and after the gun ban/confiscation showed no appreciable drop in the suicide rate once guns were unavailable. If a person is determined to take their own life, they'll find a way to do it.

Good luck. Just remember, as much as you care about your brother, people will do what they're going to do. If he's determined to self-destruct, there's nothing you can do to stop him, and it won't be your fault when he does it.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Get it. Keep it locked up, out of sight, out of mind, and when you turn 21 get your CHL and just carry it all the time. Help your brother as all have said.

Everybody gets depressed to some degree or another at some point in time............hell, I'm depressed 'cause I don't own all the guns I want!

Top Bottom