• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    My 55" in Vizio tv from 2016 is starting to get dead pixels It was a top of the line well liked and respected model one of the first with HDR.

So after 8 years its got like 8-10 dead pixels just up and centered left and right of the tv and now that I see them its all I see lol.

Meh I guess 8 years with moving homes 2 times aint that bad. Picture is still great.

Doh I hate the thought of relearning what to look for in a new boob tube

kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Doh I hate the thought of relearning what to look for in a new boob tube
    You are not wrong. One thing we discovered last round: all smart TVs are not alike.

We had a medium size Insignia FireTV for years. Good picture, and we loaded Pluto TV to get some good free content. The remote finally died, so we went to a larger RCA model. Good picture, but we have been unable to load Pluto. It's like it doesn't exist to this brand. It's probably because it came with "LG Channels", which is similar, but not equivalent. I researched how to add Pluto and the best answer was "add an external Roku box". Nah.

If I were looking again I would probably lean Samsung or LG.

Good luck!

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    From what I've seen new TVs are on sale everywhere. No fixing TV's today, make a funny video of dropping it and buy a new one. I have Hisense 75" works great, made in Mexico. How long will it last?

prisondoc

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Converse TX
    I have a 65" Hisense that started having problems right around the 2 year mark. The electronic repairman recommended Samsung and Sony, especially Sony. He told me he was attempting to repair a Sony product and just couldn't figure it out. He called Sony and his call was transferred to an engineer that helped him troubleshoot the problem quickly.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    NorTex
    Most folks I know with Samsungs have been pleased.
    I'm not: I got a Samsung about 8 years ago and was initially happy with it but continuous software updates kinda made it worse over the years. Whenever I turn it on, half the screen is covered in "NEW RENTAL MOVIES" ads. The software updates would sometimes turn the TV on at 2am waking me up with the light. I noticed recently too half the LED light panel on the left side is noticeably dimmer on the left side of the screen only, particularly with a bright scene. Not a terribly big deal since its the bedroom TV and I watch junk before falling asleep, otherwise its been just okay.

You can tell nobody at samsung and possibly most people use the sleep function anymore. Great job putting the sleep button in the middle of all of the remote buttons, in 3 menus, and you have hit hit "back" 6 times to get out of the sleep menu.

Enough of my griping though. OLED has the good darks and contrast, get something with at least 120hz refresh rate, higher is better up to about 300hz. 4k. I've heard other Wled, PLED, and other styles of LED are the "best" but are still pricey as a new tech. Otherwise just remember: your living room won't have 12 TVs in it, just the 1. Don't get overly concerned over getting the very best looking one.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    LG 65 in. Bought 4 years ago, going strong still....I really like the fact it has an actual browser.....I added a wireless keyboard and mouse because using the remote to type is slow and sucks... Rumble and YouTube videos no problem...

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    curtis-mathes-made-in-texas-turntables-radios-televisions-and-stereos.jpg

Curtis Mathes for the win.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Our house burned down in 2011. After we rebuilt I bought my wife a new Samsung. I never use it but my wife is a TV addict and I have not heard any complaints.
    13 years of use, it still works, so I guess I made a good purchase for her.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    curtis-mathes-made-in-texas-turntables-radios-televisions-and-stereos.jpg

Curtis Mathes for the win.
    We had one similar to that when I was a kid. The cat loved it and would run across the room and leap on top to take a nap on top of the warm TV.
    One boring Sunday my brother and I got 4 concrete blocks and set one uncer each corner raising the TV 10 inches and then let the cat in. The plan all came together when the cat failed to notice the increased height. :roflfunny: It only worked once though.

One of many reasons that I was not disapointed when my only child was a girl. :shades:

Last edited:

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I know I'll be called a hipster, but I unironically want one of these. Not for the TV, but for the record player. Its getting tough to find an attractive credenza record player like that anymore.
    You have to have the TV too. Young people today are missing out on the experience of dealing with vertical and horizontal hold, not to mention creative antenae play.:banghead:

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    NorTex
    You have to have the TV too. Young people today are missing out on the experience of dealing with vertical and horizontal hold, not to mention creative antenae play.:banghead:
    I am old enough to remember a TV with like 4 switches and knobs, UHF VHF, no remote, and rabbit ears. I think that TV was replaced as I was entering school however.

If the TV worked and still picked up local stations I wouldn't be upset, but if it were broken or picked up zero stations it'd be a waste and hence why I would like a credenza with just the record player. Plus I can put a little bar cabinet in there to be extra classy.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I've had several Vizio TVs and they have given good service. I got a small LG for the bedroom and the remote for it is a pain to use.

angel71rs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    El Paso
    I bought a 65" Phillips 4K Roku TV about a year ago. $298 delivered from Wally. Great pic, especially with sports, plenty good for a non golden eye like me. The 4K content is jaw dropping.

Since it was <$299, they offered 4 yr warranty for $36, so I took it. From what I've read, if you have a problem with the toob, they don't even bother to send a tech, not worth it to them, they just give you your money back. If so, I'll just buy a new one. So for a cost of < $100 a year, I'm set for another 3 years. :shrug:

Top Bottom