• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I got to finally shoot my AR for the first time.

I got my lower from RRA with an A2 stock and hogue grip. The trigger is pretty sweet. Much lighter and consistent than my Ruger m77 mII in 7mm rem mag. I got the lower during the election. Spent too much, of course, but 365 was a bargain then.

My upper is your basic DPMS A2, I got for $400 with a $30 coupon from midway. I picked up a couple of mags and a 3 point sling for RRA website, and it looks like they are the GI mags. I'm not real impressed with them. I might look for some magpul mags. I kind of wanted to have a 20 rounder if I went hunting with it. I'm pretty happy with the sling, though I'm not entirely sure I'm wearing it right. I really wish it would have come with some kind of instructions in that regard.

Anyway, it is a 16" carbine. 1 in 9 twist. Standard iron sights. I kind of like the larger apeture sight. It took me a while to get a half way decent sight picture. This is my first venture with real iron sights. I was able to get them within a 4" or 5" at 50 yards. Recoil was nothing. I'll post some pictures later. I'm hoping my wife will like this one, (I don't think she'd like my 7 mag). A pleasure to shoot, and I'm looking forward to getting better with it. I've done a lot of handgun shooting, but rifles are another story. It ate the 60 rounds of Monarch brass that I had without a hitch. I ran a snake down the barrel like the instructions said. This seems like voodo to me, but I'm doing it anyways.

Overall, spent $755 with the FFL fee. $55 in mags and a sling. Ammo is still redicoulously high. I need to get some dies, brass, and some powder. That should last untill ammo goes down some more. I'd like to eventually get an aimpoint, but I think that it might be a while. I'd like to get used to the iron sights first anyways. Maybe change the handguards. Nothing wrong with the basic ones I have, but I like the look of some of the others.

This is my first AR, and I'm already very happy with it.
    Capitol Armory ad

TooManyChoices!?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Texas
    Welcome to the addiction! These things tend to multiply like rabbits, so be prepared to build one next! You did get a little ripped on he lower, but the years of enjoyment you'll receive are well worth the price of the total package. And if you do reload( I don't only because of space issues), you can find a load that will be scary accurate even for the 16" barrel. My 14.5" barrel has done a many a sub moa group with ammo it likes and a good rest.

Too Many Choices!?

PS- This thread is useless(j/k) without pics to drool over!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Good build, and not a bad price for what you have! Enjoy it!

I'm pretty happy with the sling, though I'm not entirely sure I'm wearing it right. I really wish it would have come with some kind of instructions in that regard.

The part that attaches between the two sling attaching points is left alone. You "wear" the section that comes off the rear sling attaching point forward to the slider. Sling goes under the weak-side arm and over the strong-side shoulder. Wear it about as tight as you can without interfering with shouldering and aiming the rifle. The point in that sling is to allow you to "hang" the rifle in front and slightly to one side so that you can draw and use a pistol and get out of the way.

WhoDat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Got my 1st a couple of years ago... and now I've got about a dozen. Yep, they'll multiply. It looks like you've hot a fun gun, for your 1st AR.

Keep that one Iron Sights, and make your next with optics. Optics to push up the price of a build, especially when you start getting into Trijicon, Aimpoint, & Eotech.

Top Bottom