Shopping for a snubby- got recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • surevaliance

Make Glockarev happen!
    Jan 26, 2024
    AZ
    I am surprised that nobody mentioned S&W 638!
    SA/DA, 14.6 oz

It was my pocket carry gun for a few years and I REALLY regret selling it.
    IMO, it’s the best option from all snubbies.

Last edited:

hornetguy

Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I am a Taurus fan and will look for that one too! Thx for suggestiing
    I will "second" that recommendation.... I have had two of them... a 2" steel frame, and a 3" airweight. The recoil in the 2" is less, so I sold the 3" to a friend... actually, the guy I bought it from. He wanted it back...

I'm not a gunsmith, but it was simple to open it up and very lightly stone the curved surface of the hammer... after three gentle stonings, the double action is as smooth as nearly any smith and wesson. Not quite, but nearly. It's a pleasure to shoot, and it holds 6 rounds.

Personally, I don't want a snubby in .357.... the .38 has all the recoil that is needed (for me, of course)....

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    I would like to know what you think about the recoil after you give it a test.
    I have some low recoil 90gr SD .38spl ammo and am likely only to shoot it a few times (to ensure it is reliable), then simply carry it often… but shoot it very little for the rest of my life.

I have to imagine the recoil will be “yikes” on a 12oz gun! even with my low recoil ammo

IMG_8958.jpeg

Pistol Pete

May 10, 2010
    Texas
    I have 2 642's, front pocket ok. I don't think I could handle one in .357 mag. .38 has plenty recoil. I wear cargo pants, front pocket carry works fine. I can actually get a grip on it and draw, can't with my LC9. It will also fit in the cargo pocket while driving and be accessible. IWB ok if you're not fat like me.

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    It arrived yesterday at LGS and I picked it up a few minutes ago

has the wrong grip (has a rubber, longer combat grip vs the smaller boot grip)

called Davidson‘s /GunGenie… and they were no help… played the “we’re just the distributor card”. They didn’t care they advertise one item in their picture and description… and the item differs from the pic and description when it arrives.

morons

I then called Charter Arms (right after telling Davidsons I’ll never do business with Davidsons again)… and Charter Arms was FANTASTIC

guy explained they switched grips on this model snubby recently to the larger one, but he’ll send the smaller one right out to me! Well done Charter Arms.

what arrived
    IMG_8970.jpeg

what grip was advertised to look like
    IMG_8971.jpeg

the combat grip is comfy… but the smaller grip will help with concealability

hornetguy

Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Good for Charter.... my only experience with them was with one of the early Bulldogs in .44 Special... it was nice, no issues with fit/finish, etc.... but it had a healthy kick to it. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, but something else came along and I traded it off.
    Another one of those I wouldn't mind having back "in house"....
    It's good to hear that their customer service seems to be as it should be.

texasrho83

TGT Supporter
    Jul 24, 2024
    TX
    I'm shopping for a lightweight snubnose revolver in .38spl or .357

Let me know if you have experience with any models that fit the description below- your thoughts welcome

Use

-pocket carry (primarily front) for SD. May carry occasionally IWB

Requirements / Preferences

- lighter is better
    - the thinner the better
    - prefer DAO... but DA/SA ok
    - 5-shot ok

S&W makes a nice 640PD and Ruger makes an LCR. I don't mind a polymer frame

Anyone have any other suggestions?
    Huge fan of my S&W 340 CT. The weight is feather light...under 12 oz (empty) and maybe a pound when loaded. Scandium-enhanced aluminum alloy. It was pricey when it launched which may be the reason they quit making them. I got lucky and got it in a raffle and it's the best thing I've won so far.

I bought a pocket holster for it and have worn it with slacks and shorts. My primary carry is OWB.

cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    About 2 years ago I purchased a Charter Arms Boxer in .38spl. It's their 6 shot version and mimics the Colt Detective with a hammer and 2" barrel and shroud. I've owned/still own several Charters. No snubbie is a good range gun for shooting long strings. That said, over 3 range sessions and 125 rnds of 158 LSWCHPs the Boxer shot well, was not abusive and is light weight. Its locked in a pistol box in my get home bag in my car.

If you want inexpensive than all the guns mentioned above will do nicely. I've owned several of them but found the recoil on the Ruger LCR to be stiff enough I sold it. If you want great, the S&W Md 442 gets my vote. The Kimber revolvers are nice too. But bring a deep pocket.

Top Bottom