• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Some saw the thread I posted on my new Savage Precision Carbine .308. Now I'm looking to top it off with a new scope that is more up to the task than the temp I put on it so I could send some rounds down range.

Primary use will be target shooting from 100-600 yards. I will take it out further if I get the chance and feel I'm ready but the only range nearby that goes out that far is Tiger Valley and I'm not sure if they let many use their ranges outside of the classes they put on(I would like to take a few). I also wouldn't hesitate to pack it on a hog hunting trip, ESP if they say .50 cal is a NO-GO.

Right now I'm leaning towards another Vortex Viper PST. I like the MOA reticle and the zero stops on the turrets. They also have a great warranty. Still I can't help but shopping around and seeing what else is out there.

So, ranges generally from 100-600 yrds, hunting, and possibly a 1000 yrds in the future but probably not going to be common.

Gimme your thoughts.
    Guns International

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    I spent like 3 days on there researching different scopes. And you can get some good deals from the sample list, demos, blems, discontinued, etc......

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Any opinions of Barska scopes. The price has me thinking they may not be up to the task.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It really depends on how much you want to spend. A cheap scope will probably handle a heavy .308 for many rounds. For me, Leupold is the only way to go. There are better deals to be had for sure, but I am pretty brand loyal. I would consider a NightForce if I was looking at top dollar scopes also. Anything above those do nothing for me.

All that being said, there are many great scopes available at lower prices. I guess I am a scope snob when it comes down to it.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Any opinions of Barska scopes. The price has me thinking they may not be up to the task.

A friend of mine has a Barska on his Ruger 7MM mag. He hasn't had any problems with it. He reloads so I know he's shot a few rounds through it. I've gone to Nikon & Leupold, now that I can afford it. Although, I have to admit I never had any problems with the Tasco scopes I use buy a long time ago. Just my $.02

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It really depends on how much you want to spend. A cheap scope will probably handle a heavy .308 for many rounds. For me, Leupold is the only way to go. There are better deals to be had for sure, but I am pretty brand loyal. I would consider a NightForce if I was looking at top dollar scopes also. Anything above those do nothing for me.

All that being said, there are many great scopes available at lower prices. I guess I am a scope snob when it comes down to it.

A cheap scope would probably hold up, but I want to get a good return to zero and want to make sure the glass is clear enough to see at longer ranges. I like saving money but don't want to skimp on this one.

Take a look at the Leupold Scopes sold by SWFA.

I will check them out, thanks.

I am guessing you spent $600 to $800 on the rifle. Spend atleast half that for a decent scope.

The rifle was 850, probably could have found it a little cheaper if I had hunted but I like the shop so I went there anyways. The Vortex is $750 and that is about the upper range of my budget right now.

I have a Nikon M-308 on mine and don't know how I lived without it. I highly recommend it.

I was looking at that one but it looks like the turrets are graduated in range markings instead of MOA/Mil. I don't know how close those turrets are gonna be using different bullet weights and from different barrel lengths. I wish they made them with a regular target turret.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    My opinion.
    Go first focal plane, matched mil/mil or MOA/MOA, and get the best quality that fits your budget.

You shot my 308, it wears an SWFA SS HD 5-20 scope.

It's not NF, but to me, is just as bright an clear.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    I will list from Best to OKAY depending on your budget. I researched nearly a year after using one scope to another but below is my conclusion and yeah I use USO, when you use one you will know exactly why.

US OPTICS = Anywhere within $3000 buy once cry once
    Schimt & Bender = Same as above (with less tacticool effect)
    Night Force = $2000 and under topglass within that range
    Leupold = $1200 to $1500 one of the top glass within that price.
    Vortex HD = under $2000 but why buy vortex when you can get better quality glass for same price

Zeis, Nikon, etc I dont have experience with.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My opinion.
    Go first focal plane, matched mil/mil or MOA/MOA, and get the best quality that fits your budget.

You shot my 308, it wears an SWFA SS HD 5-20 scope.

It's not NF, but to me, is just as bright an clear.

I'm considering something in the SS line. How much difference is there between the standard SS and the HD, besides price?

Considering a fixed 16X HD but it might be a little overpowered at closer ranges.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    A 16x is fine if you only plan to target shoot. For hunting you will definitely want a lower power setting.

16x on a deer at 100 yards is one big brown eyeful.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yeah, I'm thinking I'm gonna have to go with a variable power in order to get the dual use. I considered a 10X but I'm not sure how well it would work for long range target shooting which will be the primary purpose.

Top Bottom