• ...and so much more!
  • okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    oh thats awesome! congrats!

Bigs Wife..........I take it by Bigs comment you're a smoker. Been there done that quit over 30 years ago. If you'll quit you can take the money you spend on smokes and buy more guns!

BTW..........I bought my 12-year old grand-daughter a Walthers P-22 (she was having same problem as you) and after shooting just the P-22 for 5 range trips she can now shoot my XD-9 Sub Compact better than I can. I will alternater her betweeen the 9mm and 22 for another month or so then let her try a .40 cal. Good luck!

Okie556

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I can't talk to much trash cause I quit smoking and not snuffing.
    I quit smoking, took up snuff, after I had my tonsils out at 29 years old I took the opportunity to quit and haven't looked back. well ok I looked back once or twice but after a year of no snuff you'll get it out rather quick.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    a few things come to mind Mrs Big. My wife had some similar issues when she first started shooting.

1st I spent quite a bit of money renting different guns for her to find the one that fit her. once she found it I bought it for her.

2nd I had to be patient (hint hint Big),

3rd I had to hire an instructor to tell her things I already had but in a way she understood (and she siad it was nice to hear from someone else besides me).

4th as you've heard shooting is mental and physical. I would recommend as you are learning to shoot and at the range and start to feel tired, stop.
    If you try and shoot mentally tired while learning you will become frustrated, sometimes angry if you are not "hitting the spot". My wife will go to the range on some days and only shoot 20-25 rounds then call it quits once she starts getting tired (especially after a long day at work). Since she has started doing this, she says she likes shooting more.

Big - you may not need to pay for an instructor as you live closer to quite a few of these fine TGT members, they may be able to offer some assistance from an outside source for say the price of a beer or two

hope some of this info is helpful

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    TxEMTP69, I am patient. She is just slow. No your right about a lot that. I think the guy that is going to be going to the range with us on Saturday can help her out a little. He has been shooting pistols longer than I have.

She needs a little 22 I think I'll go after work and get it.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    TxEMTP69, I am patient. She is just slow. No your right about a lot that. I think the guy that is going to be going to the range with us on Saturday can help her out a little. He has been shooting pistols longer than I have.

She needs a little 22 I think I'll go after work and get it.

I've been thinking of getting a 22 also, plus would be fun as hell, not to mention a great tool for training

Bigs Wife

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Cedar Park
    Bigs Wife..........I take it by Bigs comment you're a smoker. Been there done that quit over 30 years ago. If you'll quit you can take the money you spend on smokes and buy more guns!

BTW..........I bought my 12-year old grand-daughter a Walthers P-22 (she was having same problem as you) and after shooting just the P-22 for 5 range trips she can now shoot my XD-9 Sub Compact better than I can. I will alternater her betweeen the 9mm and 22 for another month or so then let her try a .40 cal. Good luck!

Okie556

yes, im a smoker... lol i really should stop, the thought of buying my OWN gun sounds a little inviting lol i really dont understand what u were talking about between all the different guns because i dont know what gun is what but i know ive nvr wanted a 22 because i think the bullets are ***** bullets, BUT maybe i dont have any other choice. guess we will see...

Bigs Wife

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Cedar Park
    a few things come to mind Mrs Big. My wife had some similar issues when she first started shooting.

1st I spent quite a bit of money renting different guns for her to find the one that fit her. once she found it I bought it for her.

2nd I had to be patient (hint hint Big),

3rd I had to hire an instructor to tell her things I already had but in a way she understood (and she siad it was nice to hear from someone else besides me).

4th as you've heard shooting is mental and physical. I would recommend as you are learning to shoot and at the range and start to feel tired, stop.
    If you try and shoot mentally tired while learning you will become frustrated, sometimes angry if you are not "hitting the spot". My wife will go to the range on some days and only shoot 20-25 rounds then call it quits once she starts getting tired (especially after a long day at work). Since she has started doing this, she says she likes shooting more.

Big - you may not need to pay for an instructor as you live closer to quite a few of these fine TGT members, they may be able to offer some assistance from an outside source for say the price of a beer or two

hope some of this info is helpful

verrry useful information, will deff try it on saturday... one of the biggest things that really makes it harder to get through is that big gets really frustrated with me when i get frustrated with myself and it makes me feel like ill never get it.... but maybe it will be different this time because ive gotten a lot of useful feedback and im looking forward to shooting

Bigs Wife

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Cedar Park
    well, according to bigs post we might be going to academy and buying one.... guess we will see. i really didnt look at any of the ups or downs of the whole thing cuz i saw the bullet and said nope, not uh, not happening..

mclarenross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its not something you carry for defense or anything like that. Its just a fun and maybe small varmint gun.

As a suggestion for 22 pistols, look at the Ruger MK2 or MK3s and the Browning Buckmarks. They are a little more than the P22s or Sig Mosquitos but are much better guns. Both are very customizable and accurate and easy to shoot. I had a MK2 that I had done over $600 in work, untill it was stolen.

mclarenross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No. Right after I moved into the house I currently live in we got broken into twice in 2 weeks. First time they stole 3 guns, that MK2 being one of them, and the second time they stole electronics. My X-Box 360, a new Pioneer Touch Screen head unit for my truck, etc. After the first time I got started building bars for the windows but hadnt finished them before they struck again. I got them up and it stopped them. That or the 135lb German Shepherd, and 80lb Pit Bull I put in the yard. Not sure.

Bigs Wife

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Cedar Park
    awesome, i LOVE german shepherds and pit bulls! pit bulls can be the sweetest dogs in the world is raised right! I'm really sorry to hear about that, that must seriously suck. not much of a welcome to the neighborhood present.. did u report it??

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It's quite common actually, so don't let it get to ya. As TriggerTime suggested, mix snap caps in w/the loads, and keep at it. After a while, it won't matter live or dud, you'll stay on target. You're gonna be just fine. If ya'll were in New Braunfels, we could make some dummy rounds up for ya on my reloader.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    It's quite common actually, so don't let it get to ya. As TriggerTime suggested, mix snap caps in w/the loads, and keep at it. After a while, it won't matter live or dud, you'll stay on target. You're gonna be just fine. If ya'll were in New Braunfels, we could make some dummy rounds up for ya on my reloader.
    It's a 40 S&W I'll meet you at the Exxon on Sunday evening! J/K I've been thinking that I know someone with a re loader around here that has stuffed some rounds for me before. I might look him up this afternoon.

Top Bottom