Shooting on public land / in the desert?

gunlovincollector

TGT Supporter
Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Hi all,

I'll be a Texas resident soon and I'm coming from Arizona.

One of the aspects I really liked about Arizona was being able to just drive 30-45 minutes outside of Phoenix to some BLM land so I could do some outdoor shooting without the hassle of a range and with other people around.

Is that legal in Texas? Is it possible to find BLM land in eastern Texas or would I need to head west to more of the desert?

Also, if I was to buy some land, any requirements in terms of acreage or other regulations I should be aware of if I'd like to be able to shoot on my land?

Thanks!!

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
Dec 12, 2010
Eagle Mountain Lake area
Hi all,

One of the aspects I really liked about Arizona was being able to just drive 30-45 minutes outside of Phoenix to some BLM land so I could do some outdoor shooting without the hassle of a range and with other people around.

Is that legal in Texas? Is it possible to find BLM land in eastern Texas or would I need to head west to more of the desert?

Also, if I was to buy some land, any requirements in terms of acreage or other regulations I should be aware of if I'd like to be able to shoot on my land?

Thanks!!
In terms of personal land and acreage requirements:
City and county ordinances apply.
In many counties the minimum is 10 acres.
In some counties (unincorporated areas) there are no minimum acreage requirements so it pays to check with the county if you are not going to live in the city.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
Sep 27, 2017
Boerne
There is not a lot of BLM land in Texas. Most of it is in the panhandle.

Private land is the name of the game here, which means unless you’ve got the land, you’ll probably be at a range somewhere.

Perspective: East TX to the Panhadle is about 400+ miles or more.

Charlie

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 19, 2008
Kerr County
In terms of personal land and acreage requirements:
City and county ordinances apply.
In many counties the minimum is 10 acres.
In some counties (unincorporated areas) there are no minimum acreage requirements so it pays to check with the county if you are not going to live in the city.
Excellent info. Laws and ordinances vary from county to county and from city to city (and sometimes vary by homeowners assn.).

gunlovincollector

TGT Supporter
Dec 16, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks all! I'll be in Dallas, so sounds like BLM land is a no go as it's a few hundred miles away. I'll look for some cheapish land somehwere, hopefully no more that 100 miles or so away.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
May 8, 2017
Johnson County, TX
Thanks all! I'll be in Dallas, so sounds like BLM land is a no go as it's a few hundred miles away. I'll look for some cheapish land somehwere, hopefully no more that 100 miles or so away.
If you do shoot on private land, please make sure you have a proper backstop and use a map program to make sure you aren’t shooting towards someone’s house.

I thought this was common sense, until my wife was shot in our own backyard by someone shooting on private property without a backstop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popper

Well-Known
Apr 23, 2013
There is BLM land around Dallas but you have to get permission to shoot. Some of it is open to hunting, by permission only. State and Federal parks are the same.

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
Jul 12, 2017
Colorado County, Texas
Hi all,

Thanks!!
The local Game Warden stopped by one day to visit. I asked him that question. He told me that if you are shooting on your land the bullets must not cross the fence line to another property. I have trained all my bullets to stay on my land.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Drockton Bullion
Drockton Bullion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members