Join TexasGunTalk

Shooting on public land / in the desert?

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by gunlovincollector, Dec 22, 2018.

1. gunlovincollector

gunlovincollector New Member

Dec 16, 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Hi all,

I'll be a Texas resident soon and I'm coming from Arizona.

One of the aspects I really liked about Arizona was being able to just drive 30-45 minutes outside of Phoenix to some BLM land so I could do some outdoor shooting without the hassle of a range and with other people around.

Is that legal in Texas? Is it possible to find BLM land in eastern Texas or would I need to head west to more of the desert?

Also, if I was to buy some land, any requirements in terms of acreage or other regulations I should be aware of if I'd like to be able to shoot on my land?

Thanks!!

2. lonestardiver

lonestardiver Well-Known

Dec 12, 2010
    Briar
    In terms of personal land and acreage requirements:
    City and county ordinances apply.
    In many counties the minimum is 10 acres.
    In some counties (unincorporated areas) there are no minimum acreage requirements so it pays to check with the county if you are not going to live in the city.

Charlie likes this.
  3. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    There is not a lot of BLM land in Texas. Most of it is in the panhandle.

Private land is the name of the game here, which means unless you’ve got the land, you’ll probably be at a range somewhere.

Perspective: East TX to the Panhadle is about 400+ miles or more.

4. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    In practical terms, no. Find a gun club you like and join it. If you value your privacy, you'll find most clubs that are a bit away from major metro areas are pretty empty during the week.

TheEnglishman and toddnjoyce like this.
  5. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Excellent info. Laws and ordinances vary from county to county and from city to city (and sometimes vary by homeowners assn.).

toddnjoyce likes this.
  6. gunlovincollector

gunlovincollector New Member

Dec 16, 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Thanks all! I'll be in Dallas, so sounds like BLM land is a no go as it's a few hundred miles away. I'll look for some cheapish land somehwere, hopefully no more that 100 miles or so away.

7. BillFairbanks

BillFairbanks Well-Known

May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    If you do shoot on private land, please make sure you have a proper backstop and use a map program to make sure you aren’t shooting towards someone’s house.

I thought this was common sense, until my wife was shot in our own backyard by someone shooting on private property without a backstop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. popper

popper Active Member

Apr 23, 2013
    There is BLM land around Dallas but you have to get permission to shoot. Some of it is open to hunting, by permission only. State and Federal parks are the same.

9. BillFairbanks

BillFairbanks Well-Known

May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    Does anyone hunt on the LBJ grasslands? I was speaking to a customer who does a lot and he likes it. No rifles allowed though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Inspector43

Inspector43 Everything I Own Is Paid For

Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    The local Game Warden stopped by one day to visit. I asked him that question. He told me that if you are shooting on your land the bullets must not cross the fence line to another property. I have trained all my bullets to stay on my land.

Sam7sf likes this.