• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnGalt76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Austin, TX - U.S.A.
    Hello there,

I have been wanting to test different brands/types of ammo on different targets but I don't have anywhere to go.
    Local ranges only allow paper targets. I am willing to drive 2 hours or more to some secluded public land if that's what it takes.
    I'm in North Austin. Anyone knows of any place?
    I'll be safe and I'll pick up my casings etc. :)

Thanks in advance!
    Lynx Defense

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Welcome aboard. You are going to find a hard time finding public land in Texas to shoot on. I'm sure others will make there way in soon with specifics of the area. Are you new to shooting or are you new to Texas?

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    There is no public land in Central Texas. Finding or friending a person
    with a place to shoot is your best bet. If you are willing to help a rancher build fence, clear land etc, you will have a place to shoot for a long time. A lot of people want a place to shoot, but arent willing to do anything to acquire the privelidge of shooting on private property.

JohnGalt76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Austin, TX - U.S.A.
    New to Texas... relatively. Been here 3 years as of last week. Done all the ranges around. Even Best Of The West won't let me shoot my favorite gun in the tactical bay (AK 7.62x39).
    New to shooting.. not so much. Been handling handguns for a while, sort of new to rifles though.
    I don't mind "earning" my shooting rights... however, I can't just go around knocking at ranchers' doors seeing if they need help with anything in exchange for shooting up their place. If someone did it to me I'd think that's odd as hell, and I wouldn't wanna get involved with that. :)

JohnGalt76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Austin, TX - U.S.A.
    Just to be clear.. I am not looking for somewhere to shoot for free. It's not about range fees and/or membership fees etc. I just want to shoot at something other than paper to test different guns with different ammo against different targets. I'd pay double what I pay at any range to be able to do that for a couple of hours or so. But I just don't really know *anyone* who lives outside urban areas down here that I can ask (different story in Indiana, where I was before for 11 years).
    So, that's why I asked about public land; but it doesn't have to be public. If anyone is or knows of someone who may take some cash (or help) to let me shoot for a bit, I'm all ears :)

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Hicksville in gatesville. Become friends with JD. At the meet I went to last October we were shooting at just about everything from cars to pumpkins and he even brought out a bullet proof window off a M1114

JohnGalt76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Austin, TX - U.S.A.
    Hicksville in gatesville. Become friends with JD. At the meet I went to last October we were shooting at just about everything from cars to pumpkins and he even brought out a bullet proof window off a M1114

Thanks, that's a good start! I'll make note of that. Hadn't heard of that range before. They also have a website with contacts.

JohnGalt76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Austin, TX - U.S.A.
    Actually, I am reading that there's no more plinking allowed in the Natl. Forest since 2005, it seems.
    Something about people leaving all their trash, casings, targets etc.

Still looking, with Hicksville in the back of my mind :)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom