• ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Or .17WSM. It'll get you a bit further.
    I looked over the 17 WSM pretty hard when it first came out and gave some thought to selling my 17 HMR and getting one, but in the end decided against it because it was still a rim-fire, and really didn't offer any real advantages over my 17 HMR, and decided if I was going to get a different 17 caliber it would be the 17 Hornet or the 17 Remington, because they can be reloaded.
    Gun Zone Deals

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I looked over the 17 WSM pretty hard when it first came out and gave some thought to selling my 17 HMR and getting one, but in the end decided against it because it was still a rim-fire, and really didn't offer any real advantages over my 17 HMR, and decided if I was going to get a different 17 caliber it would be the 17 Hornet or the 17 Remington, because they can be reloaded.
    That's a bit counter to your rimfire over centerfire argument.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    That's a bit counter to your rimfire over centerfire argument.
    Not really. If I were buying today or in the last couple of years, I'd probably go with the 17 WSM instead of the 17 HMR. But IF I were to replace my current 17 caliber, the 17 Hornet or the 17 Rem. would be the two I'd consider.

Years ago, I was looking to replace a 22 magnum I had sold, and this was about the time the 17 HMR came out, so it caught my attention, and I did my research and then ended up buying a Savage Model 93R17. Have been very pleased with it.

mountainbull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2020
    montana
    I shoot a 300 wm, have for over 30 years. I have shot deer at over 600 yards and antelope at 100, different loads of course.
    My son put together a 300 wm and we zeroed at 300 yards, consistent 3in groups at 550 yards.
    I have a range at my place to 800 yards, the 300 will do it, no problem, I can't see the bull that far but my son can.
    It will drop an elk out to 1000 yards

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Brother man, how far do you consider long range? How far do you have the availability to shoot?

Most of my guns have been bought with a distance in mind, with self defense reality’s mixed in. I lean heavily to really short rifles, because that’s where the fight will probably be, close. I’m not target minded, I’d say more, zombie ready.

Now that this is on the table, again ask yourself how far do you want to shoot. For me, 1,000 yards is plenty. In east Texas, I can’t see 1,000 yards. It wouldn’t make sense for me to set up a .408 Cheytac capable of 2,000 yards, or any other of the long range capable calibers, if you aren’t going to use them as they were intended.

I settled on a 1,000 yard distance years ago. It’s how far I need to be able to reach out to.

For this, I went with an early 90’s Remington 700 PSS. It is way more accurate than I will ever be. It has a Vortex PST 6-24x50 that can dial into 1,000.

For mid range, out to 700 or so, I went with the MK 12. There’s two versions, the mod 0, and the mod 1. It’s basically a stupid accurate AR with an 18” match grade barrel. They were designed by Crane Naval Surface Warfare center for the Seals as an intermediate sniper rifle. They work as designed. It will accurately hit farther than I’ll probably ever need to shoot.

3F8B10AB-5D65-447C-B181-6345530F3AB4.png

MK12 Mod 0 suppressed.

D0F69D6F-DF3C-47DC-B787-81C15EB5B02F.png

Mod 0 on the left, mod 1 on the right.
    2A0CE652-8DDA-4516-A258-C8362A4C06F5.png

Sam75022

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2022
    texas
    Looking like I'm gonna give up trucking due to the season of stitches.
    Gonna find something else.
    But to the point..I've had over a 7mm-08 and a 308... want to get to long range shooting
    Truth be told I'm thinking about it hard.but don't have a clue .

A little help is greatly appreciated
    I asked the same questions 8 years ago and below is the conclusion I reached on my journey and $15K~$20K poorer after coming out of the rabbit hole(equipment and ammo and reloading trial and errors.)

Caliber - 300PRC if want to reach 2K consistently. Factory Hornady 212GR seems to be fine if not reloading
    High Quality Scope with at least 20x magnification - $3K
    Equipment - Weathermeter/Kestal for environment condition check, bipods, ballistic calculator (I used applied ballistics), chronograph for bullet velocity to enter into Ballistic calculator.

After getting all of above, need to know how to use above to fully understand below...
    I took lessons on long range but below 3 part series in youtube should be fine as its exactly whats teached.

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3

Finally, find a long range to practice and burn some money and experience humiliation in the process. I used to go Triple C range in Cresson tx until they shut it down couple of years ago now.

Good luck on your journey.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    If you reload the 7mm is by far better than the 308 but only if you reload. Otherwise the 308 has almost endless factory ammo options. That being said 99% of what most consider being long range is what I would recommend a 223 setup for.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    That DPMS will be more than sufficient, might be time to start modifying though. Stock, pistol grip and rail are all pretty easily changed out. If that barrel truly is key holing, those are easy to replace too and the sky’s the limit on how much you WANT to spend. Could also swap over to 6.5CM if you wanted but I’d stick with 308 for now.

In short, build the DPMS to be the best rifle you want. Wish you were closer, I’d help.

Sam75022

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2022
    texas
    Just come look at my benchrest .50 BMG & everything that would come with it. It comes in below what you figure 8 years ago
    Now that I paid tuition fee (trial and error fee), I know exactly what to get for around $5k for long range setup.

What was your cost of trial and errors before settling on 50 BMG rig setup?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Now that I paid tuition fee (trial and error fee), I know exactly what to get for around $5k for long range setup.

What was your cost of trial and errors before settling on 50 BMG rig setup?
    Back in its infancy of .50 BMG as a benchrest gun, about the same. Very High Power magazine & the .50 Calibers Shooters Association had been running matches. I basically had a gun built like Skip Talbot’s then match winning rifle.

The biggest error was my gun club banning it as to destructive to the berm. I joined them at the time simply because it was the farthest range I felt safe shooting it at

American Shooting Center in the Addicks Reservoirs allow them, but I did not like the idea of where a ricochet might land

Sam75022

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2022
    texas
    Back in its infancy of .50 BMG as a benchrest gun, about the same. Very High Power magazine & the .50 Calibers Shooters Association had been running matches. I basically had a gun built like Skip Talbot’s then match winning rifle.

The biggest error was my gun club banning it as to destructive to the berm. I joined them at the time simply because it was the farthest range I felt safe shooting it at

American Shooting Center in the Addicks Reservoirs allow them, but I did not like the idea of where a ricochet might land
    Yes, most ranges not allowing calibers above 300 prevented me from trying out 50 BMG , 338 or cheytacs as well as cost of reloads on these.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I basically had a gun built like Skip Talbot’s then match winning rifle.
    Great guy. I remember before he was in to the big rifles he did a stint as a pistol silhouette shooter. He showed up to a match in Uvalde and cleaned everyone's clock! His passing was a sad thing but he left behind many good memories and lots of folks who shoot better because they spent time with him.

Top Bottom