• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I’ve had two meetups where the ad did not state that, and upon meeting they changed their mind. Thankfully I was able to purchase without, pretty irritating to get that information dropped last minute.

Were you buying from members of this forum? I'd like to know their names so I can avoid doing business with them.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you buy a firearm from a private sale, how does one determine if the firearm is stolen?
    You trust who you're buying from. That's part of what sets TGT apart. A bunch of us, from time to time, get together in real life. We know the vibes we get from each other.

If you're ever at a sale and you get the slightest feeling in the pit of your stomach that something isn't right, then call off the deal and everyone goes back home.

And if you want some sort of tracking that might eventually lead to a stolen gun being recovered, you can always go to an FFL and transfer it through them.

You have options, you use your own judgement, and you breathe a little easier knowing the no government entity must be involved...which is sorta the way all of life should work, now that I think about it. :)

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    If you buy a firearm from a private sale, how does one determine if the firearm is stolen?
    1706252439520.png

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    Always wondered that questioned and never really knew the answer. All my private sale purchases have been through out of state and had to be shipped to a local FFL. But if you bought from someone that seemed trustworthy and the firearm turned out stolen you would never know then essentially. Then if you sold to someone out of state and send through an FFL or sell directly to an FFL, you will be shit out of luck at that point?

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Always wondered that questioned and never really knew the answer. All my private sale purchases have been through out of state and had to be shipped to a local FFL. But if you bought from someone that seemed trustworthy and the firearm turned out stolen you would never know then essentially. Then if you sold to someone out of state and send through an FFL or sell directly to an FFL, you will be shit out of luck at that point?
    How so you don't have to register it so it can't be traced to you. If uneasy just buy from the gun stores. It's a choice and an option in the FREE. States reason they are called FREE states. Seems maybe you're new to Texas?

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    You go to a garage sale and see a meat cleaver that you could surely use. Do you buy it? It might have been used by the previous owners on human meat!

You see a car with a for sale sign on the window. Seems like a great deal. Do you buy it? It might have been used for human slavery. There could be a baggie of long forgotten drugs behind a dash panel!

The only way to solve this is to create a new Federal agency for our own protection: the Bureau of Private Sales and Felony Prevention.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Always wondered that questioned and never really knew the answer…
    In addition to am FFL transfer, you can try https://www.hotgunz.com, but I can guarantee that offers an incomplete database at best. I’ve played around with the site before but never used it.

Some PDs will offer a serial # check service and/or a transaction location. Note that both of these options are only helpful pre-transaction.

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    You go to a garage sale and see a meat cleaver that you could surely use. Do you buy it? It might have been used by the previous owners on human meat!

You see a car with a for sale sign on the window. Seems like a great deal. Do you buy it? It might have been used for human slavery. There could be a baggie of long forgotten drugs behind a dash panel!

The only way to solve this is to create a new Federal agency for our own protection: the Bureau of Private Sales and Felony Prevention.

No, but the only used firearms I buy are collector's items which typically cost a bit more than your average glock. Being its an investment, it's one of the things I've been curious about as I could lose out on quite a bit of money if it did turn out stolen.

If I buy a used firearm that turned out to be stolen, I could lose my whole investment. If I buy a meat cleaver or a car used for human slavery, I still retain my investment in both. There is a difference...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom