• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Can someone explain to me what the advantage of a diesel truck is over a gasoline truck?

Naturally aspirated truck engines, which are all gassers except the Ford Ecoboost, need revs to make power.

Turbo diesels don’t need to rev to make power. In fact they generally dont rev high at all.

My 5.9L Cummins had a 3200 rpm redline. And the torque peak was at 1600 rpm.

The gasoline 5.3L V8 in my current truck revs to 5800 rpm. And the torque peak is at 4100 rpm.

Most people don’t like reviving their engines to the moon...diesels’ low-end grunt makes their power easily accessible.

They’re very satisfying to drive, they just go without the drama of downshifting 2 or 3 gears to get the rpm up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    my father in law is a die hard ford guy. I think he almost had a stroke.
    One of the guys I work with has owned nothing but Powerstrokes since his first one in 2004. He rode to East Texas with me last year when I had an empty 4,500 pound trailer behind me on the way there and 15,000 pounds behind me on the way back. He was driving one of our 2012 F-250’s back with a bunch of stuff in the bed. I accelerated faster and got better mileage than him all the way back. Of course the F-250 had 200k miles on it and I only had about 25k at the time. I ran into him last week and he was driving a brand new Chevy Silverado High Country with the Duramax and says its the greatest truck he’s ever owned.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Naturally aspirated truck engines, which are all gassers except the Ford Ecoboost, need revs to make power.

Turbo diesels don’t need to rev to make power. In fact they generally dont rev high at all.

My 5.9L Cummins had a 3200 rpm redline. And the torque peak was at 1600 rpm.

The gasoline 5.3L V8 in my current truck revs to 5800 rpm. And the torque peak is at 4100 rpm.

Most people don’t like reviving their engines to the moon...diesels’ low-end grunt makes their power easily accessible.

They’re very satisfying to drive, they just go without the drama of downshifting 2 or 3 gears to get the rpm up.

I’m really pleased with the Colorados 2k rpm of 369 ft lbs. yup not the fastest truck, but you can tell it just won’t care about grade.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I’m really pleased with the Colorados 2k rpm of 369 ft lbs. yup not the fastest truck, but you can tell it just won’t care about grade.

My buddy went from a VW GTI to a Golf TDi a while back.

He swore the Golf was faster than the GTI, even though in reality it wasn’t even close - the GTI would flat smoke it in any race.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    From Bedford to Mansfield gave me barely 30 mpg. Got up early to verify.

I also think my commute is perfect for regen/dpf function.

Last edited:

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    This makes me want to get rid of the jeep wrangler I just bought in october. Awful gas mileage and zero utility (atleast for my needs). I should have stayed with a pickup. Atleast id be able to get some use for bad mpgs

From my understanding and the several friends that own them. Jeeps are toys that have zero value over a truck with AWD or 4WD. They're money pits.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I drove a GMC pickup for 15-20 years. Needed a pickup, and loved the Jimmy's. New job has no need for a truck, and no more farm. So I switched to a SUV.

Unless I get land, I won't go back to a truck. I've had most of the popular ones.

Isuzu Trooper (loved it, Billy goat at the coast in 4wd, lots of space for gear)

Nissan Pathfinder (nice around town, smooth ride, not a lot of power)

Toyota 4Runner (worst power of all of them, worst mileage, but 4wd was great, could have been better space -wise)

Nissan Xterra (lots of room, more power and better mileage than 4Runner, comfortable ride)

Chevy Tahoe (by far my favorite. Big V8 with lots of power, lots of room (2x 4Runner), most comfortable of all my SUVs, good mileage)

What I really want now is a 4wd Tahoe.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Im probably going to trade it in for a tundra. Its not a bad vehicle and off road it really shines but I need a bed and to be able to tow some more weight. Expensive mistake on my behalf :facepalm:

Ouch. Why not sell privately? You might get a better deal.

I fell into my latest truck quite strangely. A Honda dealer took in a low mileage 2017 F150 and just couldn’t turn it because customers don’t expect an F150 on a Honda lot, and don’t go to a Honda lot for an F150.

44 days after they took it in on trade, I bought it for $8k off their asking price and got another $10K for my old F150 that I could have sold privately for probably $3k more. Just easier for me to do that way though.

Top Bottom