• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    1k would be nice. I have 500 at the Orange Gun Club. 600 if I shut down the north side and close the road.

The two most dangerous places in today's world:
    1.) a gun free zone
    2.) your comfort zone

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    To apply to Bayou Rifles, keep a watch on their web site here: https://www.bayourifles.org/index.php/how-to-become-member

Protip - Go here: https://www.bayourifles.org/index.php/competitions/high-power-rifle-division Visit and compete in the matches before becoming a member. In the course of doing so, you'll get put on the mailing list for competitors. The person maintaining that list might (no guarantees, but usually) give you a heads-up a couple of days before the opening of the waiting list is announced on the web site. They tend to encourage active competitors to become members, so if you're competing there regularly, you can catch a break.

However you learn that the waiting list has re-opened, drop whatever you're doing and apply for membership right then. Whenever the waiting list opens, it gets filled in ~3 days then immediately closes again.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Riflesonly is close to Houston but I don't know if they open it as just a range or are strictly for training and competition.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Riflesonly is close to Houston but I don't know if they open it as just a range or are strictly for training and competition.
    They go out to 1400 yards and I've heard really good things about them.

OTOH, is there another facility called "Rifles Only" besides the one near Kingsville? That's ~250 miles from Houston, sort of an interesting definition of "close to Houston."

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way

OTOH, is there another facility called "Rifles Only" besides the one near Kingsville? That's ~250 miles from Houston, sort of an interesting definition of "close to Houston."
    I'm sorry the one I was thinking of is in Kingsville so not exactly close.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Kingsville?
    That's my Hometown!

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    While I wouldn't call it "near Houston", Best of the West in Liberty Hill is closer than Kingsville and has a 1,000 yard range.

Wyo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2015
    benenglish - Do you know if Bayou Rifles does any pre-match range time? I'd love to do some competitions but I just moved down to Pearland from Wyoming and need desperately to rezero my AR10 and build a proper drop chart for it (only had it a couple weeks before the move so it's not well established yet). So I'd rather not be shooting in a competition without it dialed in.

To apply to Bayou Rifles, keep a watch on their web site here: https://www.bayourifles.org/index.php/how-to-become-member

Protip - Go here: https://www.bayourifles.org/index.php/competitions/high-power-rifle-division Visit and compete in the matches before becoming a member. In the course of doing so, you'll get put on the mailing list for competitors. The person maintaining that list might (no guarantees, but usually) give you a heads-up a couple of days before the opening of the waiting list is announced on the web site. They tend to encourage active competitors to become members, so if you're competing there regularly, you can catch a break.

However you learn that the waiting list has re-opened, drop whatever you're doing and apply for membership right then. Whenever the waiting list opens, it gets filled in ~3 days then immediately closes again.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Most (if not all) matches at BRI have a 30-60 minute warm-up/practice period before the match. However, according to the club calendar there is a "HP Squadded Practice, 1000 yards" on Saturday the 5th then the "HP 1000 Yards - 60 shots" match the next day. That's the only match that seems to have an extended practice prior to the match.

You can probably get some clarification on that by emailing the club's HP guy: Ben Brooks at highpower@bayourifles.org.

Top Bottom