ARJ Defense ad

Scan and assess - What's right, wrong, just opinion, and clearly silly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think, a lot of times, people get caught up in rigid technique instead of thinking technique appropriate for the given situation. It's always variable.

The simplest answer to most of these questions is, whatever the context, you want to manage the situation. It will be different for each person (to some degree) and situation dependent. How should you reload (slide release or rack?)? Manage your gun. Regardless of the method you choose, learn to do it damn well and subconsciously. How should you do a tactical reload? Again, manage your gun. In the mag pouch, bullets forward or to the rear? Manage your ammo. Your way may work perfectly for you. My way might be completely different, but if both of our ways work perfectly for each of us, what does it really matter?

Should I scan and assess, and if so, how? Manage your awareness of your environment. There are many ways, but think about what makes sense and don't get caught up in one specific technique. You just got in a shooting. Your ears are ringing, you may have tunnel visioned in on that threat. Is he a threat anymore? No? Good, who is is around you that could be? Who is behind you? While you just wrecked your hearing, were you even aware of the police that just showed up on scene, and are now screaming commands from behind you to drop the gun?

As far as some specifics, here's my take on it:

-I don't see any useful application for the "full Sabrina" position (gun held pointed straight up next to your head, support hand on the gun, IE - "Hollywood Ready")

-Position SUL is not what I consider a "ready" position, but more of an administrative movement position, or for use in extremely tight confines. I like SUL for scan/assess if I'm going to be turning and moving around, as I know for a fact I am not muzzle sweeping everything in the environment. Beyond that, SUL has a several downsides.

-If you use an aggressive #2 of drawstroke position, this can also serve as a safe position to scan and assess from, somewhat like SUL. #2 is basically gun out of holster, elbow brought straight back and as far up as possible, the grip of the gun and your thumb are indexed around your pectoral area. This gives you a consistent index (thumb pectoral index), has the muzzle down at ~45 degrees, and for extremely close range can be used for retention fire. There are variations on this one, with some people being less aggressive about it and the gun aimed more horizontally, which is less than optimal IMO.

-I personally think it is entirely possible to scan and assess a full 360 degrees without needing to turn completely around. You need to have good muzzle control. If you turn your head and look over each shoulder, twisting at the waist just a bit each direction, you can see completely behind you without any problem.

Here are some videos from Paul Gomez, who was a wealth of knowledge on subjects of this nature:

ARJ Defense ad

Redhat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Haven't seen the video in question, however, I'll offer a new guys perspective and that is; a simple concept, scan / assess, has been taken to such an extreme (in some cases) the purpose has been overlooked. The idea is to scan / LOOK for additional threats, in addition to the one in front of you, and ASSESS your situation. Spinning around or pointing your weapon at others is a big fail IMO and I see no need for it...use the ability God gave you to turn your head instead.

I am also of the belief you should top off your ammunition IF / WHEN you judge it is safe to do so.

Top Bottom