• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    The form must be accurate when you fill it out. If later you change the config of your gun, no laws are broken. So if you have a proper Form 4 for a Colt LE6933 (BBL=11.5), and later you permanently add a muzzle brake for a silencer and the BBL is now 14.5, no crime has been committed. Or if you change out the Colt TeleStock and put on a full rifle stock and the OAL changes, no crime is committed.

So, by deduction, there is no requirement to notify the ATF of a change to the original barrel length as filed. Seems like that would be an indirect falsification of records, but ok.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Do we really want to play silly games about car color? OK.

Where did I say I did NOT properly Title/Register my car in accordance with the rules he posted?

You're gonna bust my chops for "silly games" when you are the one that implied that what he posted indicated it was illegal to paint your car? Ha!

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    So, by deduction, there is no requirement to notify the ATF of a change to the original barrel length as filed.

If you find anything contrary in the law, please post.

Seems like that would be an indirect falsification of records, but ok.

The record was not falsified if when you signed the form it was true.

If you can find any cases of someone in jail for having a 14.5 BBL when their form says 11.5, please post.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    You're gonna bust my chops for "silly games" when you are the one that implied that what he posted indicated it was illegal to paint your car? Ha!

Did you miss this part, in the same post, where I made it clear what I meant:

It is not illegal in Texas to paint it a different color after you title it.

And since the interaction was between me and him, why did you feel the need to jump in on something off-topic. It is like you are just looking to argue, not learn about NFA/SBR law.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Did you miss this part, in the same post, where I made it clear what I meant:
    It is not illegal in Texas to paint it a different color after you title it.
    And since the interaction was between me and him, why did you feel the need to jump in on something off-topic. It is like you are just looking to argue, not learn about NFA/SBR law.

Apologies, I'm back on topic now....

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Subscribed. Not being a smart ass, just hookin' on to the thread to try to learn something about SBRs and the process. 'Will at some point in the near future get paperwork done for an SBR. Continue gentlemen.

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    I'll throw in my understanding on this as I have called the NFA branch and asked directly.

You will only have to modify your paperwork if you make a permanent change to the barrel length. You can swap uppers at will because that is considered a temporary change. If you decided to sell the upper that your rifle came with and attach a different length upper for example, then that would be considered a permanent change and would need to be modified.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I'll throw in my understanding on this as I have called the NFA branch and asked directly.

You will only have to modify your paperwork if you make a permanent change to the barrel length. You can swap uppers at will because that is considered a temporary change. If you decided to sell the upper that your rifle came with and attach a different length upper for example, then that would be considered a permanent change and would need to be modified.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FINALLY someone gets it right! I've been amused watching the pissing match though.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    As has been explained to me... As long as you can return the weapon to the status described in the form you do not have to do anything. But if you want to make a permanent change (ie no longer have the 10in barrel) you should submit a letter to the ATF notifying them (although to the best of my knowledge there is no law requiring this)

Fwiw

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    FINALLY someone gets it right! I've been amused watching the pissing match though.

Uh, no. That is what they want you to do, and that is generally accepted practice. However there is now law requiring you to notify them of a change. Your form will NEVER be changed, as they do NOT re-issue it to you with the corrected info. So your form will foerver have the original info, not the current info.

+1 to cleric.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Uh, no. That is what they want you to do, and that is generally accepted practice. However there is now law requiring you to notify them of a change. Your form will NEVER be changed, as they do NOT re-issue it to you with the corrected info. So your form will foerver have the original info, not the current info.

+1 to cleric.

guidos-bros-douchebags-fratboys-orange-you-glad-hes-not-older.jpg

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco

+1 to cleric.
    If you get your letter signed by some witnesses or notarized, then at least you will have proof that you informed them. Could just do a registered letter I suppose, but that's no proof if its contents. In all likelyhood none of this will ever be a problem, unless you have someone who knows all the details of your NFA collection and is out to get you (in which case you probably get what you deserve, (unless it's the ex-wife, and even then you still might...) Or unless the laws get really bad, and the ATF starts going around doing inspections trying to harass NFA owners. In that case you will be damn glad you went to the trouble to cross every T and dot every I. I'm nearly nutty about it. I have no doubt I am about 1000x more careful and concerned about understanding following the (stupid) laws than the govt is.

These laws are screwy. Some could be interpreted different ways. It would not surprise me if they were intentionally left that way so that ATF can play "gotcha" with us if they want to later on down the road. I keep a book that is so thurough with documentation for everything about my NFA stuff it's almost stupid. Hopefully that will save my ass in the future if ATF gets really hostile toward us.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cardwellfamily5%
    Top Bottom