• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    Note that under the Senate version your school would have to specifically ban guns with policy or put up 30.06 to prevent you from carrying.

In other words, they will put up a "Free Fire Zone" sign.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    nocarry.png

mdehoogh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    DFW
    Does anyone know the house bill # for this? My senator (Nelson) co-authored this bill and I'm going to send her a letter thanking her but I want to also send one to my representative as well. As a 22yr old college student, I would love it if I didn't have to disarm myself to go to class.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Woh!! I might get to carry to class most of my senior year.

When it passes im gonna buy myself one of these backpacks.
    0410g2_101_detail.jpg

I just noticed the pic. I know someone who flies often, and he uses a backpack for carry on and has placed specifically sized peices of body armor in it. That would be a good idea for schools too, I would think.

tdwhite03

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    San Antonio
    I hope they dont let it die like last time.

I will be very surprised if it is passed. As far as which verson, if it gets that far, house or senate, both bills will be sent to a committee that will take both bills and make them into one documnet to be sent back to each branch for a vote.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I just noticed the pic. I know someone who flies often, and he uses a backpack for carry on and has placed specifically sized peices of body armor in it. That would be a good idea for schools too, I would think.

Nice idea! But where in the heck could I find armor plates that fit it properly?

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Any vendors in mind? I really like the idea.

Maxpedition makes some great stuff though. I have the Versipack L.E.O model and the Janus extension pack.

In the Versipack, which is very compact actually, I have:
    TLR-2
    A Tactical Flashlight
    7 Loaded spare sig magazines
    A cleaning kit
    A spare parts kit for sig
    Batteries
    50' of cord
    2 lighters
    Large CS espada
    Leatherman
    Sometimes my actual gun

All this and it leaves my main compartment wide open for things like my netbook, ipad, or other crap i feel like throwing in there. Does not look very militant or scary to sheep either. Everything is in internal compartments with the exception of the leatherman and flashlight in external molle pouches.

I clip the Janus into the shoulder strap when I am doing outdoorsey stuff, I put all of my EDC stuff in it and I lashed a KaBar BK11 to it.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    The test armor from bulletproofme would fit in a backpack just fine. I sometimes think about getting some, but in order to work my back would have to facing my attacker. I'd rather hunker down and try to pull my pistol out.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Thank you! It looks like about $300 bucks would get me a nice piece of III level custom trimmed for the inner wall. I may still get the backpack even if the law doesnt pass.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    I am going to go against the grain here, so I am prepared to be flamed.

I am a college student, avid shooter and gun owner, but I do not like the idea of CHL on campus. Why you might ask? Say there is an active shooter on campus, all of a sudden, everyone with a CHL draws their weapons and tries to dispatch the threat. If I come around the corner with my glock drawn, and I see another student with a weapon, what am I going to think? what is HE going to think? The idea of a college campus suddenly becoming a shooting gallery of law abiding CHL holders is not a pretty one to me.

Would I like to be able to keep my weapon in my vehicle on campus? Absolutely! Would I keep it in my vehicle if the law provided? Absolutely.

Also, please remember the story a few months ago about the boy who brought a gun to class in his backpack. He had a negligent discharge and it killed two of his fellow students (I believe)

I firmly believe in my second amendment rights, but I do believe this is a bad idea. Just my two cents.

mdehoogh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    DFW
    I am going to go against the grain here, so I am prepared to be flamed.

I am an avid shooter and gun owner and shop in (grocery stores/movie theaters/malls), but I do not like the idea of CHL in (grocery stores/movie theaters/malls). Why you might ask? Say there is an active shooter in the (store/theater/mall), all of a sudden, everyone with a CHL draws their weapons and tries to dispatch the threat. If I come around the corner with my glock drawn, and I see another (shopper/movie go-er) with a weapon, what am I going to think? what is HE going to think? The idea of a (grocery store/movie theater/mall) suddenly becoming a shooting gallery of law abiding CHL holders is not a pretty one to me.

I made some alterations to your argument. You could apply just about any location or situation to the argument yet we don't see CHL shooting galleries happening anywhere.

Also, you can leave your weapon in your car. "Premises" includes buildings or portions of buildings and excludes parking lots. Unless the school has a separate statute against it, there's no problems with it in the car.

Top Bottom