• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duckgun75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2014
    I positive it is a .270 and the rounds are .270. they are the original box of ammo I bought years ago. FYI I,tried newer rounds too. as far as I can tell the bolt is fully back. the only way I can pull it back more is if I press the release.
    Texas SOT

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    It has to be a bolt issue. The rounds can't sit more forward.

Judging by your and YGs pics maybe the older models have a larger ejection port. My guns are newer and the bolt goes all the way back flush with the port.

Where are you located at?

duckgun75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2014
    i bought that box of rounds years ago. I normally only shoot one round a year. After the first shot, if I shot again I would have to push the next round forward so the bolt could grab it. I'm in Baytown. I guess I will put some calls into local shops and see if any of them work on guns.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    All the threads online point to the mag spring tension. I don't think it is angling the ammo up so the bolt can catch. Maybe the feed plate was assembled backwards. Honestly these are guesses at best.
    I would try stretching the spring to see that helps. Good luck

Last edited:

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Are you able to pick up the 1st round (after you load the magazine) and chamber it, or do you have to slide one up towards the chamber and then close the bolt? Did you buy the gun new, if so, when did you start having this issue? Or.......did you buy it from someone that may have "monkeyed" with it (meaning that you have had this issue since you have owned the rifle)?

duckgun75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2014
    I will get a picture of the bullet and barrell stamp tomorrow. I bought the gun new 15 years ago. It started about 4 years ago. I honestly havent thought of the issue since I stopped deer hunting till this year.
    I do have to slide the first round forward.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    These are Savage 110s in .270 with an open bolt - see how there's no bolt-head visible in the chambers?

sam2702.jpg

2rc53et.jpg

This is your chamber (your pic turned right way up):

if9wxz.jpg

Doesn't look to me like your bolt is coming back far enough - can you even remove it from the rifle?

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    This is a Savage 110 in .270 with an open bolt - see how there's no bolt-head visible in the chamber?

sam2702.jpg

This is your chamber:

if9wxz.jpg

Doesn't look to me like your bolt is coming back far enough - can you even remove it from the rifle?

That is what I am seeing also. He said the only way to get the bolt back more is to press the release.

Maybe there is something going on with the release? Maybe it is grabbing the back section of the bolt and not the front section? Not sure which it is supposed to grab though.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Looking at mine again, the release does catch the back section of the bolt so maybe that is of no help. The release has to be held down for the entire length of the lugs or it will catch on the front section of the bolt.

I am still of the belief that your bolt isn't traveling all the way back though.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Same here, that's why I was curious if something external such as an add-on cheek-piece is blocking full travel.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Agreed. Every Savage I own with a cheek piece has to be designed or mounted so the bolt can still be removed. Sometimes that can be a challenge.

Top Bottom