• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lipps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2015
    Central Texas
    This year we were running a couple of weeks late, but it's finally ready to eat! That odd looking jar in front the toaster has fermented whole cabbage leaves for stuffing/wrapping. That's 9 quart jars and 6 pint jars -or three gallons of kraut there in the pic. We are filling the crock again tomorrow -for a total of 6 gallons. That should last us all year and have enough to give some away for Christmas.

9fdccc48bf136726196a247f1a705ad0.jpg

If you've never made sauerkraut, now is a good time. Makes a grilled cheese sandwich taste like heaven! Makes a good sausage even better!

And it's good for you! Eaten raw (like on top of yummy cheese toast) it replenishes good bacteria inside your tummy. Has vitamins and stuff too.

Also makes great Christmas presents. Everyone prefers homemade Christmas presents.

Kraut will last well over a year in your fridge. Without refrigeration it can last weeks or months depending on the temperature. Cabbage is cheap to buy and cheaper to grow in any economy. We use a nice fermentation crock, but you can make it in a bucket if you want. Good survival food can be tasty.
    Venture Surplus ad

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Cool. I've made several small batches already this fall. I just do quart jars with airlocks, ferment for about 5-6 weeks. Never tried a crock, heard they're tricky.

Lipps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2015
    Central Texas
    Not too tricky. If you have a fermentation crock it's basically bullet-proof. If you use a regular crock you might have a few minor issues, but nothing serious if you monitor it regularly. I've used the jars. I like the pickl-it jar for a small test batch.

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    Awesome Pulled mine a couple weeks ago taste great and same benefit as yogurt if you eat it for medicinal value as long as you don't heat it up. Checkout wild fermentation website for recipe

Lipps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2015
    Central Texas
    Yeah, we use the water seal crock too. You can see it there in the pic. It's the Ohio Stoneware fermentation crock. I like it waay better than a regular crock.

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    Yeah, we use the water seal crock too. You can see it there in the pic. It's the Ohio Stoneware fermentation crock. I like it way better than a regular crock.

Looks like a good one. Recently changed to the glass weights for easy clean up and prep.

jpatm2

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    I have a couple questions for you sauerkraut chefs... How many heads of cabbage do you use for a batch. Have you ever used Brussel sprouts or Chinese cabbage in the kraut? Where do you get your favorite recipes. I love kraut and would like to try it. Just wanna know what I need to plant. Thanks!

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    I have a couple questions for you sauerkraut chefs... How many heads of cabbage do you use for a batch. Have you ever used Brussel sprouts or Chinese cabbage in the kraut? Where do you get your favorite recipes. I love kraut and would like to try it. Just wanna know what I need to plant. Thanks!

I got mine off the Wild Fermentation site http://www.wildfermentation.com/making-sauerkraut-2/. Just standard cabbage 5lbs per 3tblespoons salt. Gives the other directions there. Brusselsprouts might be interesting I like those to. you can definitely add and mix somethings

Lipps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2015
    Central Texas

As Toney says, Wild Fermentation is a great site for starting out. When we buy cabbage we usually make a rough guess as to the weight of each head. Figuring a medium head will weigh 3 to 4 pounds, small heads 2 to 3, and large heads 4 to 5. I have noticed that if the rain has been good, a head will weigh a little more, less if no rain. The salt to cabbage ratio is a guide. You can play with it within reason. The process is very forgiving -remember this is really a very ancient form of food preservation.
    The number of heads you can use is determined by how big your fermentation vessel is. We use a 3 gallon crock so anywhere from 8 to 10 heads (depending on size) will fill it. If all you wanted was a quart you could probably fill it with half or three quarters of a medium head -again depending on size of the head.

Adding other veggies is fine. Some will bleed color like beets or too much red cabbage, even carrots. Chinese cabbage will ferment just as nicely as American cabbages. You can also season the kraut with various herbs. Caraway seeds and juniper berries are popular. Rosemary, garlic, ginger, and dried chillis are not uncommon. I am preparing a test batch with curry leaves. (Yes, I grow curry leaf trees). I would like to try a batch with szechuan peppercorns -sounds tasty.

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    I usually weigh mine after slicing it up and use salt sparingly. I don't like a lot of salt. sea salt, kosher salt any kind without iodine (kills the process) Peppers do sound good think I will try the chili piquin

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom