• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buck Nekkid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    My every day carry knife was a Winchester lockback, unfortunately it went missing at my folks house in South Dakota. I got an exact duplicate, but it's as dull as a butterknife! They tried to sharpen it for me at Cabella's in Buda, but no joy.

Is there a shop that can grind/polish my blade in San Antonio? I know that the knife isn't worth that much, but it fits my lifestyle better than a tactical, razor sharp, one hander.
    Military Camp

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Bass Pro will do it, but what was the problem at Cabela's? Don's Gun shop will sharpenknives too. I haven't used them, but just seen them set up for it.

Buck Nekkid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    The problem Cabela's had was that they were using a polishing stone and a ceramic X type finisher. The blade needs something much more aggressive, at least to begin with. Think of a slightly sharp butter knife.

Thanks all, I'll check out the shop at Ingram or at Saxet.

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    you could use a dremel. i fixed a badly broken spyderco blade

Before
    DSCN0808.jpg

After
    IMG_0439.jpg

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Arrrgh! There are basic life skills that every man should learn. Knife sharpening is one of them.

Don't practice on you're EDC or hunting knife. Go to the kitchen - there are ALWAYS dull knives in the kitchen. (If you're married, they may be hiding in the sink or dishwasher - possibly even in the garbage disposal - and it may be hard to discern which side was ever sharp.) Work with them until you can routinely get a good edge. THEN you can do your personal knife.

Winchester knives are usually pretty average stainless steels - 440B or C - and shouldn't be too hard to sharpen.

Top Bottom