• ...and so much more!
  • Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Hey all,

Since moving to San Antonio in the last couple weeks, I am taking over organizing the Texas Gun Owner monthly shoots/meets. Only been to Bexar Range in Marion (about a dozen times) and checked out A Place to shoot since they did a FFL transfer for me. What else it out here and what do they offer? Ex Indoor, outdoor, skeet trap, Tac bays etc.

I'll be posting up the monthly meets for the SA group starting back up in Jan 2011 again (taking a break for the holidays). I also hit the Hill Country meets and try to hit all the Austin meets as well.
    DK Firearms

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Whoops guess I was thinking of a different locked thread haha.

Yeah, you were probably thinking about the one on SA gun shops; which I was hoping could be cleaned up and re-opened as there was a lot of great information in that thread!

We just may have to start a new one of those as well, but as for ranges that thread I linked to pretty much sums it up. In a nutshell, Bexar County and Blackhawk are pretty good, A Place To Shoot is so-so, Bracken can be nit-picky with its customers, and The Bullethole is definitely worth missing. If you have a DoD ID card, Camp Bullis has a range open only on the weekends, and there is a thread about it as well. The biggest issue about Bullis is no guests, DoD ID card holders only!

Still, for $25/yr it's the best deal in town. There are also indoor ranges at Texas Guns on Bandera Road which is expensive and restrictive in that you have to use their ammo; and at Bass Pro Shop which you have to make an appointment for.

Hope that helps!

Cheers! M2

Alamocity

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    San Antonio, Republic of Texas
    Take a look at Cedar Ridge Range up in the Bulverde area off 1863. Some have had issues with the owner's attitude, but I've found him to be pretty harmless and even very helpful once when my car battery died. I sneak away from the office during the week and often have the range to myself.

T

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    The hill country meets are at Dietz. I want to check out blackhawk. And the Austin monthly meets are at lonestar.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    They are??? Howcum that's gotten by me?<dumb look>

Leave it alone, guys...... icon_slap2.jpg

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    So what's the deal with the Bullet Hole?? Is it a dangerous range? if so, what makes it so? Please enlighten the unenlightened

From firsthand experience, I have witnessed several safety violations while shooting there. From gang-banger-wannabes shooting "gansta-style" and bump firing, to idiots handling their weapons during a 'range cold' and people are downrange. Most of the time there has been no RSOs around and any comments or concerns about the safety issues to the staff go unanswered. The final straw was when one of the idiot employees almost ran into me and my son in the parking lot when they were driving like a maniac through it, and then the asshole has the audacity to yell at us to slow down. Well, from that point onward we either go to Bullis or drive the extra ten miles to Blackhawk, where we have never had an issue.

There have been numerous incidents at the Bullethole, to include one fatal shooting; and it has a bad reputation to begin with. The owner yelled at a good friend of mine who was picking up his brass, claiming that it belonged to her. Since he is an avid reloader, he told her that was not the case and that he wasn't leaving without it; and he was a known annual pass holder.

There are other secondhand stories that I've heard; but what I've experienced there myself has convinced me to find a safer and better place to shoot!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I was one of the first "Lifetime Family" memberships sold there. Took me about 2 years to get a bellyfull. Tossed the membership card in their face an' ain't bee back since.

SureFire5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    san antonio
    Ahh... I've been there a couple o times... I did see a couple of questionable gun owners there. The times I've been there wern't too many shooters there. I an understand your views. THANKS!

Matthew2000tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Helotes, TX
    Bullet Hole:

I've see the range un-monitored so its just you trusting the guy next to you knows what you are going. They have a silly rule about no rapid fire for rifles... yet in the bay next to the 50 yard range people are blowing the full auto clips like they grow on trees... and I'm warned to wait for seconds between each shot with my Ruger 10/22.... SILLY and it really ticks me off!

I went there this past weekend with the Mrs. to rent a Glock 26. (I'm looking to buy one...any recommendations on cheap dealer in San Antonio)

They actually had a range master in the pistol and 50 yard range. They were nice and called a cease fire and personally inspected each weapon before allowing anyone to go down range. (this was not the case 6 months ago when I swore I'd never go back... I was at the 15 yard area of the pistol range and turned around to see a gun holding his gun aiming at a target in only 3 "bays" over!) Anyways, I have to say I was impressed at their attention to details and safety right on this past Sunday. The only complaint was the warning I got from the range master at the 50 yard like to slow down my shots...he had to yell at me over the automatic gun fire that was going on in the private bay next to it. (I almost asked "ARE YOU SERIOUS!").

I still proceed with caution going to the bullet hole. One day there was a guy with a bullet proof vest there even though he was silly looking all dressed out like a tactical God... it makes since! If I had one and was going to Bullet Hole I'd have mine on.

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    My missus and I are members at the Bandera Gun Club in Bandera. It is family oriented and accomodates most all types of shooting, rifle, skeet, pistol, etc. Membership is inexpensive and they are an FFL and will order in any pistol you want and sell it at 15 percent over wholesale... makes for reasonable purchases. You can use your own ammo and they sell ammo there at reasonable prices. There is also CHL training and IDPA meets.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    WiredGeorge

Sounds interesting, but their web site doesn't offer a lot of info. Is there more to be read if you create an account?

Any info you can provide would be appreciated...

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom