• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    At what point is it more affordable to buy a Kei Truck or old Jeep Cherokee?

Eli
    I have my old 2001 Nissan P/U that I could have turned into something for less money. Around here its about running around the neighborhood, down to the marina.

I would love to find someone out here with enough land and a good back stop that I could go shooting on.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    I just sold a Polaris Ranger Crew 570 (2014) that has been absolutely no problem but consider where you will have it serviced. Routine lube and oil change is no problem but anything major may require sophisticated instruments. Putting it on a trailer and driving 100 miles is no fun. Nearby service is a major decision.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I own a Kawasaki Mule. Great for work at the ranch, 2 benches, sits 4 adults or 6 with small children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Had my Mule since 2019, and love it. Zero problems, never got stuck, and I have used the heck out of it.

Only had to engage 4WD one time. Lots of accessories for them too.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    I just sold a Polaris Ranger Crew 570 (2014) that has been absolutely no problem but consider where you will have it serviced. Routine lube and oil change is no problem but anything major may require sophisticated instruments. Putting it on a trailer and driving 100 miles is no fun. Nearby service is a major decision.
    Is a Honda....oil and filter is all they need

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Can Am, Honda or Polaris
    I'll mainly be cruising around the neighborhood. I will take it on trails of peoples property on occasion. I went & looked at Can Am's and really liked Polaris better., I few people told me Honda is the only was because they have a real transmission & not a drive belt.

Completely out are Kawasaki, John Deere, Massino, CR Moto. And no I do not want a golf cart.
    Have you considered a Roxor?

Mahindra "jeep" with a little turbo diesel.

Heard nothing but good things

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    097c4e53fe7c47b49966ec6c0a11d1fa.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Eli

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    In 10 years my Polaris never needed any service either and I did buy a service manual just in case. But just as with new cars, instruments used for service are not available to us peasants.
    My neighbor across the street was having problems with his Polaris so he loaded it up to take in for service. The place told him it cost $3,500.00 that the engine is shot, so he said no thanks. The next place he took it he told the guy to call him before doing any work. The shop calls him and tells him to come get it it’s done. He reminds the shop that he wanted to know the price before they started. The shop guy tells him it’s $350.00. They said the fuel filter was plugged and the plugs needed to be replaced.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    My neighbor across the street was having problems with his Polaris so he loaded it up to take in for service. The place told him it cost $3,500.00 that the engine is shot, so he said no thanks. The next place he took it he told the guy to call him before doing any work. The shop calls him and tells him to come get it it’s done. He reminds the shop that he wanted to know the price before they started. The shop guy tells him it’s $350.00. They said the fuel filter was plugged and the plugs needed to be replaced.
    You could have put any brand name in that story and it could be true. Same with cars. Where are the honest shops?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    In 10 years my Polaris never needed any service either and I did buy a service manual just in case. But just as with new cars, instruments used for service are not available to us peasants.

Yeah, you can get the tools. And there really isn’t anything special outside of the tool for removing the clutch and the tool for setting the distance between the engine and transmission.

And for the most part everything is pretty accessible on a Ranger. Just pop the bed off and you’re there. I got the service manual for mine for about $25. You can also save a lot of money by just purchasing oil from Walmart instead of the rebranded and marked up oil sold by Polaris.

Now, if for some reason someone can’t do the maintenance or just doesn’t want to then the location of a good dealership should definitely be a factor.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    Yeah, you can get the tools. And there really isn’t anything special outside of the tool for removing the clutch and the tool for setting the distance between the engine and transmission.

And for the most part everything is pretty accessible on a Ranger. Just pop the bed off and you’re there. I got the service manual for mine for about $25. You can also save a lot of money by just purchasing oil from Walmart instead of the rebranded and marked up oil sold by Polaris.

Now, if for some reason someone can’t do the maintenance or just doesn’t want to then the location of a good dealership should definitely be a factor.
    Electrical tools with special software that I believe only dealer has. My expertise was lube and oil change and didn't need anything more. More would have been a trip to the dealer, at least for me. Many are much more gifted mechanically than I am.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Electrical tools with special software that I believe only dealer has. My expertise was lube and oil change and didn't need anything more. More would have been a trip to the dealer, at least for me. Many are much more gifted mechanically than I am.
    Are you talking about diagnostic tools, basically high end code readers?Something like that is rarely necessary, despite these machines becoming more and more like cars every year.

But admittedly, I tend to do everything myself unless it’s just absolutely not possible and realize that’s not for everyone.

Top Bottom