S&J Remington 870 bayonet and mag extension kit, help.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Hello. I was looking for some help or maybe advice from others. I recently purchased this bayonet kit from S&J hardware for my remington 870. It have several issues with it and was hoping someone might have had experience with it and could maybe explain what I am supposed to do.

First, the lug for the bayonet does not fit. I have a bayonet for my AR 15 that fits and wanted to be able to use it on both. I think I can grind down part of the lug and it will work. The tabs on the back of the bayonet handle seem to need only the tiniest bit more space. My big problem is it came with no instructions. I figured out how to get the mag extension on the shotgun and the bayonet lug on with no problem, but I cannot figure out how to attach the sling loop. It came with a metal ring that I assume clamps it into place. I cannot get it over the tab that holds it into place.

If anyone has had experience with this or can figure it out and give me some advice I'd be very grateful.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Don't grind anything yet.....

I have one on my 870. You should be able adjust the lug forward enough on the barrel and extension for the bayonet to fit. You have a very long extension You can also get a shorter mag extension. As far as the rings, they can be a bitch to get on, and it can test your patience..but can be done..

Attachments

• 870 bayonet 1.jpg
      870 bayonet 1.jpg
      53.9 KB · Views: 2,033

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Don't grind anything yet.....

I have one on my 870. You should be able adjust the lug forward enough on the barrel and extension for the bayonet to fit. You have a very long extension You can also get a shorter mag extension. As far as the rings, they can be a bitch to get on, and it can test your patience..but can be done..

Oh, I know that I can move it forward toward the muzzle. That wasn't what I mean. I meant the actually tab that slides into the rear handle of the bayonet itself seems to have the two side cuts just a little off. The too tabs on the bayonet won't close on it so it can just be pulled off.

What method did you use to get the ring on? I have just been using the hammer and punch method.

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    My lug fits the bayonet perfectly..What brand bayonet (curious)? Mine is a Conetta (1968 was the only year they made them iirc).

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I am guessing that the sling mount goes on the mag tube extension right up by the knurled end. Then the spring clip goes into the groove in front of it. Either circular cut goes toward the barrel and can be flipped for a left, right, or straight down sling mount.

Just guessing though. I haven't messed with one.

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I am guessing that the sling mount goes on the mag tube extension right up by the knurled end. Then the spring clip goes into the groove in front of it. Either circular cut goes toward the barrel and can be flipped for a left, right, or straight down sling mount.

Just guessing though. I haven't messed with one.

That is my understanding too. I am not using it on my 870. There are pliers for those clips, but I've never had any luck with them. Once you get is started you should be able to slide it down the tube into place. I would put the sling swivel in place before attaching the extension to the magazine tube.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I had to file some metal off the lug to get the bayo to snap on mine.
    It was not a lot.
    I have no experience with the sling ring. Does it fit behind the screw on mag cap?

run down to the auto parts store and buy a pair of snap ring expanders. Sorta look like a pair of pliers. Use them to open up the ring.

Last edited:

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I had to file some metal off the lug to get the bayo to snap on mine.
    It was not a lot.
    I have no experience with the sling ring. Does it fit behind the screw on mag cap?

run down to the auto parts store and buy a pair of snap ring expanders. Sorta look like a pair of pliers. Use them to open up the ring.

Yes, I think that is all I have to do. It looks so close. The sling ring will not fit behind the screw cap and also the screw cap will not come off allowing me to put it on the easy way. I think I will have to get some snap ring expanders as well. Thanks everyone.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    In the end all it took was some slip ring pliers. Although, it didn't help that I put the sling loop on first and then realized I couldn't screw it back on and had to take it all off and do it again. But it worked out. The bayonet lug still needs some filing but I think it will all work out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Here's a few pics of mine.
    I had to file a tad off each side of the outside edge of the lug to fit the lock on the M-9.

2w6apw2.jpg

29ma9av.jpg

2dc7539.jpg

2ntzfyv.jpg

Top Bottom