Boerne

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Well if you guys had abolished the DOE like you promised to (republicans) it would be unconstitutional, unfortunately the DOE falls under the jurisdiction of the executive branch and the United States Supreme Court has refused to hear the 8 states that have appealed against it. I don't see how this gets fixed.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I found it on Reuters. Judge Pittman stated:

The Program is thus an unconstitutional exercise of Congress's legislative power and must be vacated.

I understated there was a stay on it from a St. Louis Circuit Court. So if the Fort Worth Judge's holding survives the appeals process, it never happens.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    "In this country, we are not ruled by an all-powerful executive with a pen and a phone. Instead, we are ruled by a Constitution that provides for three distinct and independent branches of government," Pittman said. "The Court is not blind to the current political division in our country. But it is fundamental to the survival of our Republic that the separation of powers as outlined in our Constitution be preserved."

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    So does this mean inflation dies down some, or does this just mean it won’t get any worse for now?

This wouldn't even put a dent in our inflationary pressure problems. Two things cause inflation primarily 1) increase in the money supply 2) Government spending.

The government is never going to spend less unless we literally have an insurrection and make it illegal for them to spend more than they take in.

The Fed has no oversight, they can print money at will and have multiple times.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    The whole this will die. It was done by Brandon to get the youngsters to vote Demoncrat.
    This will resurface in two years for the next elections. Those who won't pay their student loans today aren't going to pay them in the next few years. Who or whatever the next democrat candidate for 2024, will dangle the tuition loan carrot in front of donkeys again and they will follow it.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    This wouldn't even put a dent in our inflationary pressure problems. Two things cause inflation primarily 1) increase in the money supply 2) Government spending.

The government is never going to spend less unless we literally have an insurrection and make it illegal for them to spend more than they take in.

The Fed has no oversight, they can print money at will and have multiple times.
    Well, I don't really "like" what you've said here. But damn it, it's true so I clicked the "like" button.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    This will resurface in two years for the next elections. Those who won't pay their student loans today aren't going to pay them in the next few years. Who or whatever the next democrat candidate for 2024, will dangle the tuition loan carrot in front of donkeys again and they will follow it.
    1668181979460.png

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Pending appeal and all that jazz, the Northern District of Texas ruled today the plan is an “unconstitutional exercise of Congress’s legislative power”

Same judge that rules Texas can’t bar permitless carry for 18-21 year olds. Will update with PACER opinion when available.

Probably paywall: https://www.wsj.com/articles/federa...student-debt-cancellation-program-11668127159
    I suspect that Biden knew this would happen when he proposed it. This way, the Democrats got additional votes in the midterms and it would not add anything to the national debt when the program was ruled "unconstitutional".

Once again, the folks voted for a Democratic Party program that was yanked out from under them once the elections were over!

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    This has been hokey all along - claiming the pandemic as a national emergency to "forgive" student loans. But then again, this guy has been releasing from the strategic oil reserve which is set aside for national emergencies. His "emergency" is to buy votes.

I scrimped and saved plus hit the low income bracket (partial Pell grant) to obtain my degree many years ago at a local state school while working. I entered the professional workforce and saw many who had never worked a day in their life and financed the "experience" of a more expensive school while they partied for 4 years. That was their choice. I told my 3 kids I'd pay for their degrees in full if they worked part-time and went to a local state school and 2 took the offer. They didn't realize until after entering the workforce what a blessing that was to not pay for loans for decades. It's all about choice and priorities.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I suspect that Biden knew this would happen when he proposed it. This way, the Democrats got additional votes in the midterms and it would not add anything to the national debt
    If you think biden (or any politician) gives a rat’s ass about the national debt, I’ve got some ocean front property in Van Horn for sale.

The sole purpose of the effort was to curry votes.

Top Bottom