• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    There's nothing that this new bolt action .22 will do that one of your 10/22s won't do faster and cheaper

Same price point, different market.
    I doubt the bolt will be prone to jamming.

Your argument would imply there is no reason for a Remington 870 since the 1100 exists. Or a 1911 since a Colt SAA exists, etc etc.
    Venture Surplus ad

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    Aren't bolt action .22 great for training young shooters? No semiauto limits the rate of fire and can help stress the importance of each shot.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I doubt the bolt will be prone to jamming.
    That's a good point, but I don't think I've ever actually seen a jam on a 10/22. Not with factory mags at least...

Everything is a compromise and depending on what you are seeking a bolt action can make more sense than a semi auto. For instance, a .308 bolt action is lighter, cheaper, and usually more accurate than the semi-auto offerings on the market. This does not scale down to .22lr, however. A semi auto .22lr is just as light, just as accurate, and just as cheap if not cheaper than it's bolt action equivalent. You'd have to spend quite a bit more to get a bolt action .22lr that would outperform a 10/22 in any category. Therefore they are not worth the compromise in performance.

Now if you're just queer for bolt actions and want it "just because", then I have no problems with that. I personally would rather Ruger spent their R&D time on something different instead of competing with themselves.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Now if you're just queer for bolt actions

What's up with this "queer" stuff? You have an opinion about what Ruger did, that's cool, but why do you think it's necessary to take shots like that when it's really none of your business how people choose to spend their money?

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What's up with this "queer" stuff? You have an opinion about what Ruger did, that's cool, but why do you think it's necessary to take shots like that when it's really none of your business how people choose to spend their money?
    Why are you so upset about it? I'm not faulting you for liking something just because you like it. Nothing wrong with being queer for something... ;)

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Why are you so upset about it? I'm not faulting you for liking something just because you like it. Nothing wrong with being queer for something...

Upset? Not in the least. Just trying to understand where you are coming from. I took the "queer" comment as a dig....not a dig that bothered me (my skin is way too thick for someone like you to get under), but I just didn't get it. And you said "...I'm ok with that"....like your permission is required. LOL!

Last edited:

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Saw the .22 Mag variant on the used gun rack at the FW Cabela's... Marked at $269. Brand-new on the rack was marked $299 ($289 for the .22LR version).

This line has been out for what, not even a week? I'm still WTFing over the one on the used rack (which still had the "AMERICAN" sticker on the fore-end).

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Or they bought it and couldn't find ammo, or didn't like how pricey magnum rimfire has become...

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    I brought home a pair of the compact models this morning... ordered the longer stock inserts this afternoon. Mounted a scope on the Magnum (waiting on another pair of bases for the LR), and will set up the LR the same way next week.

The Magnum version shoots very well, and I'm hoping the LR shoots as good once I get the glass on top. Both did fine with the open sights, but...

RugerAmR22Msim_zps714ade02.gif

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    I got my bases on Friday, and the longer stock inserts from Ruger yesterday... these are quickly becoming my favorite rimfire bolt guns.

RugerAmRlspr_zps20b39175.gif

Top Bottom