• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexaSOT

Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2023
    Arlington, Tx
    I don't own one personally either, but I've known several folks who have, and have never heard a bad word about Ruger revolvers. They just seem to plain work. My uncle use to carry a long barrel (8 or 9" I think?) 44mag Ruger super blackhawk as his brush gun when he'd go bear hunting. That pistol was an absolute beast!

TJjerry

Nov 5, 2019
    Magnolia, tx
    Had one exactly as pictured. It is rugged. Concerned about shooting through a bad guy. Not fun to practice with in 357m, sold it. If I wanted to go to 38spl I would carry my Colt 38 detective special to get 6 rounds. My Colt has a much smoother double action trigger IMHO.

Tex62

Jan 21, 2014
    I’ve got the 4.2” barrel in 357. It’s okay shooting the 158g 357 loads. I think the extra barrel length helps it. I found shooting 125g 357 out of it a bit torquey with the smaller grip.

Makes a decent field gun with the adjustable sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catherine1

May 10, 2021
    USA
    Any owners of this fine revolver? Based on the GP100 it’s probably one of the strongest built small frame revolvers. Available in the .357/.38, along with 9mm and .327 Fed offerings. Never was a fan of Rugers centerfire semi autos, but their revolvers all seem over built.

My Montana husband did OWN and CARRIED a Ruger SP101 in 357Magnum for MANY years. He had NO issues with that gun at all. It was an older SP101 and he owned it BEFORE I moved out west. I do NOT know the exact year when he bought it.

When he got OUT of many firearms and consolidated many of HIS firearm calibers - he SOLD that Ruger SP101 revolver.

Eventually ALL of his 357Magnum handguns and pistol caliber RIFLES got sold in the 357Magnum CALIBER (SOME other calibers too.) INCLUDING what I gifted HIM in MY last and remaining S&W handguns AND in MY (And HIS!) RUGER s/a revolvers.)

One of his best friends bought his SP101 handgun immediately. The friend knew my husband's gun/guns and he shot them too. That friend bought several guns from my MT husband too.

That same friend bought some dies and other supplies from him too. My husband gifted some other supplies and STUFF to his friend and to other friends too.

I owned several RUGER RF and CF single action revolvers, over the years, but I NEVER owned a Ruger d/a revolver. I LOVED the RUGER s/a revolvers.

They were beautiful, sweet tack drivers and built like a tank! Late 90's and on. I only owned the NEW MODEL s/a revolvers bought NIB from the late 90's and on. Bought back east and out here.

I mainly owned SMITH and WESSON d/a revolvers, the ONE Glock 19 Generation 3 back east - sold that one back east, had some other Glock 19 pistols later on out here, 2 S&W semi automatic pistols, etc.

My husband did LIKE his former Ruger SP101 very much. He does NOT own any 357Magnum caliber handguns or rifles now.

My husband does own a RUGER Wrangler s/a revolver in 22lr ONLY (Not the Wrangler 22lr/22wmr convertible that came out recently.) and in the ALL black version. It is several years old. It was bought NIB from our dealer a couple of years ago around Christmas time.

Take care!

Old Lady Cate

Last edited:

Catherine1

May 10, 2021
    USA
    My Montana husband did OWN and CARRIED a Ruger SP101 in 357Magnum for MANY years. He had NO issues with that gun at all. It was an older SP101 and he owned it BEFORE I moved out west. I do NOT know the exact year when he bought it.

When he got OUT of many firearms and consolidated many of HIS firearm calibers - he SOLD that Ruger SP101 revolver.

Eventually ALL of his 357Magnum handguns and pistol caliber RIFLES got sold in the 357Magnum CALIBER (SOME other calibers too.) INCLUDING what I gifted HIM in MY last and remaining S&W handguns AND in MY (And HIS!) RUGER s/a revolvers.)

One of his best friends bought his SP101 handgun immediately. The friend knew my husband's gun/guns and he shot them too. That friend bought several guns from my MT husband too.

That same friend bought some dies and other supplies from him too. My husband gifted some other supplies and STUFF to his friend and to other friends too.

I owned several RUGER RF and CF single action revolvers, over the years, but I NEVER owned a Ruger d/a revolver. I LOVED the RUGER s/a revolvers.

They were beautiful, sweet tack drivers and built like a tank! Late 90's and on. I only owned the NEW MODEL s/a revolvers bought NIB from the late 90's and on. Bought back east and out here.

I mainly owned SMITH and WESSON d/a revolvers, the ONE Glock 19 Generation 3 back east - sold that one back east, had some other Glock 19 pistols later on out here, 2 S&W semi automatic pistols, etc.

My husband did LIKE his former Ruger SP101 very much. He does NOT own any 357Magnum caliber handguns or rifles now.

My husband does own a RUGER Wrangler s/a revolver in 22lr ONLY (Not the Wrangler 22lr/22wmr convertible that came out recently.) and in the ALL black version. It is several years old. It was bought NIB from our dealer a couple of years ago around Christmas time.

Take care!

Old Lady Cate

PS:

I shot his RUGER SP101 a couple of times out here for one session at our range but I preferred shooting MY own former Smith and Wesson Model 60 using 38Specials.

I can't remember the barrel length of my MT husband's SP101 and I think (?) that it was 2 plus inches (Wrong.) long NOT the super short barrel but it was NOT a 3 inch barrel. EDITED - I was WRONG HERE.

I made a MISTAKE and I just asked my husband (4:30AM) about his barrel length of his SP101 and he said that it was SHORTER than 2 inches long. ONE and 7/8?

And I did shoot 357Magnum AND some 38Special rounds out of it that ONE time at the range. I was in my EARLY 50's at the time too.

My FORMER S&W Model 60 had a 3 inch barrel and it was bought on SALE and with a rebate back east at my MAIN gun store with my MAIN salesman. My dealer gave me the rebate ON the spot too. I did not have to mail anything to S&W. So I got 2 price breaks.

At the time, S&W was CLOSING OUT the 38Special/38Special PLUS P only VERSION of the MODEL 60 d/a revolver and only going to carry that Model 60 in 357Magnum. SIX - 6 means stainless steel in S&W and I think (?) that it still does.

I decided to get THAT MODEL 60 even though it was only FOR the 38Special/38Special PLUS P caliber - marked on the MODEL 60 gun and in MY GUN DIGEST BOOK even if MY OTHER handguns were in 357Magnum, 22lr, Ruger 22wmr dual - EXTRA cylinder, 9mm and 45Long Colt AT that time back east.

SIDE NOTE:

The former GIFTED to me S&W Model 29-2 and -3 that I never asked for were out WEST guns and not back east. I did RENT a Model 629, back east at my indoor range connected to my gun store, and I LIKED 44Special MORE than 44Magnum ammo.

I shot the DIRTY HARRY Model 29 out in Colorado on BLM land too. I shot 6 rounds of 44Magnum but I preferred 44Special ammo MORE.

I LIKED my OWN factory (Cowboy loads.) 45Long Colt ammo even more out of a RUGER BLACKHAWK SINGLE ACTION REVOLVER more than the '44 Magnum' handgun.

I never EVER bought any handgun with a barrel SHORTER than 3 inches long. The former S&W KIT GUN of mine had a 3 inch barrel too.

I did TRY 38Special PLUS P ammo a few times in that Model 60, in my S&W 357Magnum 686-5, etc. but I just ended up SHOOTING and buying 38Special factory ammunition for that MODEL 60 ONLY and for some OTHER handguns that did TAKE and were in the 357Magnum caliber.

I did shoot 357Magnum ammo for my 357 handguns and rifles but I shot MORE 38Special FACTORY ammo if I compared the FACTORY ammo that I bought and shot. Back east AND out west.

Later on, my MT husband did reload 38Special and some 357 ammo for me to shoot too.

Personally, I thought that 38Special was just FINE for me for that MODEL 60 and in some of my other guns that took 38Special AND 357Magnum.

Much OLDER guns that are marked for ONLY 38Special ammunition do not TAKE and are NOT SAFE to shoot the MODERN 38Special PLUS P factory loads.
    My GUN dealer man told me this, some famous gun MEN that I knew told me this, my late husband and my MT husband told me this, and it is IN the gun books including in some S&W and other books/brochures.

TYPOS, added more and I pushed 'send' too fast. Apologies.

BARREL LENGTH correction of my MT husband's SP101. IT was an OLDER gun, not bought NIB as usual by my husband, and he bought it from an old rancher friend. That older man, now dead was a very CLOSE friend of my husband's - I knew the man too, and he bought it NIB and carried it ALL of the time on his cattle ranch and while riding his horse too.

4:30 AM

My husband said that he put a new HOGUE grip AND a WOLFF spring set on that former and much older SP101 that he bought from his old rancher friend. The gun was built like a TANK and my husband gave it a BIG clean up job other than the usual clean up job. He took it apart and put it all back together - the internal parts of the gun really needed to be CLEANED up badly. IT came out perfectly and, as he said to me just now, it was a FINE CARRY GUN of his for many years.

ADDED more here too.

Old Lady Cate

Last edited:
    Top Bottom