• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I've got a mini-30 and have a good time with it but I don't shoot it often. I've never had problems with it over the years with the exception of the rear site always coming loose.
    Guns International

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Ruger burnt me on the old 4" moa Mini ranch. I lost a deer cuz of that crap. Ruger could make the Mini out of gold and I'd still pass it up.

I love Ruger but the injured deer I couldn't find was extremely unkewl.

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    Ruger burnt me on the old 4" moa Mini ranch. I lost a deer cuz of that crap. Ruger could make the Mini out of gold and I'd still pass it up.

I love Ruger but the injured deer I couldn't find was extremely unkewl.

I am curious to know what your POA on that deer was.

ETA: The reason I ask is because killing a deer with a .223/5.56 requires a greater degree of precision, so why would you attempt that with a 4 moa rifle in the first place?

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I am curious to know what your POA on that deer was.

ETA: The reason I ask is because killing a deer with a .223/5.56 requires a greater degree of precision, so why would you attempt that with a 4 moa rifle in the first place?

I was less then 25yards away. Shoulder aim.

The one thing I never do on here is brag about shooting. I refuse to post pics of targets. There's maybe three people on here that has seen me shoot. I like it that way.

Am I one of those folks born with the gift of shot placement? Who knows? Then again, you're only as good as the tools you use.

The better question is why Ruger felt the need to machine crappy gas blocks at the time. That ranch I used threw a round in the lungs. By the time the bolt closed the deer was already at 35mph. Headed anywhere that wasn't close to me.
    I tracked the blood trail till night fall. Cedar trees every 5 feet.

His buddy on the other hand, dropped like a bag full of black dirt mud. She got it in the lower neck. Severed the spine right above the shoulder. She never knew what hit her.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Yep, from a rifle capable of proper shot placement. Man, it sounds like your Ranch was worse than the worst. Thanks for the details.

This was in the mid 1990's. It was a stainless ranch, wood stock. I had bought it used somewhere.

On a bench, target set up at 100 paced out yards.

That POS had a shot spread of 6" with the Remington soft point ammo. I had bought the ammo before the hunt from a mom and pop store on hwy 36. Near the town of The Grove. Did I mention it carried a 3-9 scope in the factory rings? Winchester white box had a better 4" pattern. (That ammo was for which the rifle had been zeroed before deer season.) 4" at 100 yards was more then good enough in heavy cedar trees. There was only 30 yards of open spaces between the trees.

I hid behind one lone cedar tree next a plowed field. Two famously small central Texas deer pop out. One buck, one doe. The buck was the poor basturd to get a flyer in the ribs. No pink froth, bright red blood. It didn't even hit the lungs. The female was sent to Jesus's door step.

Don't get me wrong. It was a fun, fast swinging, never jammed, rock out, bullet waster but it burnt me on deer hunting with one.

Cotton tails on the other hand...just walk the rounds out in front of him. He'll run right in to it.

Last edited:

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I have a stainless Mini 14 just for fun. The only problem I had was with the cheap mags that came with the gun. To me it is just a fun range toy. It would have been awesome if it would take AR mags.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    The newer ones seem a bit better. I got a few aftermarket Mini-30 mags and never had a problem, then again I'm not sure the QA/QC between the calibers, I would assume it's the same but then again they amy not be. Ruger's mags are indeed over the top in price though. I do love that light little thing,.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    I don't understand why they are so expensive now! Both the PC and Marlin's Camp Carbine demand a lot of money for what they are. One of my favorite guns I shot growing up was a Camp Carbine in 9mm.

About the only 9mm carbine on the market that sparks my interest is the Sub-2000. Mostly because it accepts S&W 59-series mags and I want a Model 59.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom