• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Well Ruger has introduced their Mini-14 in the .300 Blackout.

Ruger® Mini-14® Tactical Rifle Autoloading Rifle Model 5864

I guess there is a market for this gun. Not my cup of tea. I do know those that might consider one if it were more like the original Mini-14 with blued steel and wood (but without the old ones pathetic accuracy). Any of you guys rushing out to buy one???

5864.jpg
    DK Firearms

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Why is this in the Rimfire forum?

:beat:

I like the idea of the Mini-14 but why they didn't do 300BO in their AR-556 or SR-556 line is beyond me.

gasgas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    S Texas
    Why so fast to judge , I have used a mini 14 223, for 2 years and a mini 30 for a year and no problems, I also have a AR15 and most of the time I use the mini 30

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Years ago, Ruger announced that they would be coming out with a Mini-14 in .308. They even took orders for it. For whatever reason, they couldn't work out the bugs.

The Mini is great and very reliable design, but Bill Ruger's attempt to keep them out of the anti-"black rifle" lists kept the company from doing the upgrades that the rifle needed to compete with ARs and AKs.

.300 BO is a decent cartridge for hunting and could make the Mini a decent hog rifle.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Years ago, Ruger announced that they would be coming out with a Mini-14 in .308. They even took orders for it. For whatever reason, they couldn't work out the bugs.

The Mini is great and very reliable design, but Bill Ruger's attempt to keep them out of the anti-"black rifle" lists kept the company from doing the upgrades that the rifle needed to compete with ARs and AKs.

.300 BO is a decent cartridge for hunting and could make the Mini a decent hog rifle.

I remember that attempt, could not figure out why they did not just build a M1A style gun. Those are proven.

I think this 'new' version may still be legal in some of the more restrictive states. But that damn magazine issue that Ruger hangs on to is still a problem.

Regarding the hog thing, would a Mini-30 not do the same job a lot cheaper?? In both gun and ammo costs?

Find it amusing that they first introduce this caliber to their line in the Mini, and not in the much easier to build AR platform they sell.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    An AR that is likely more accurate, versatile and less expensive just makes more sense IMO.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I owned a Mini for a long time and never had problems with the accuracy that some people bitch about. I've seen plenty of AKs and even some ARs at shooting ranges that spray bullets like a shotgun. The newer version is supposed to have a heavier barrel that gets away from some of the accuracy issues.

But I have to agree with the posters complaining about the magazines! EASILY the biggest problem with Minis. If you don't use Ruger mags, you never know whether its going to work or not. They're expensive and they don't last long. How freakin' hard would it have been to modify them to use Magpuls?!?!?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2014
    Ruger mags are expensive but I've never had one fail. I've also had good success with second generation Tapco mags. Good luck with any other mag you might try.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I must be getting old. It used to not bother me when people chimed in with useless negativity. "It sucks." What sucks? You owned one? You tested one with a variety of ammunition? You sell them? WTF?

If you have actual experience - and you can describe that - then great. Otherwise, stick with the teenager's web pages where trashing everything is in fashion.

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    I must be getting old. It used to not bother me when people chimed in with useless negativity. "It sucks." What sucks? You owned one? You tested one with a variety of ammunition? You sell them? WTF?

If you have actual experience - and you can describe that - then great.

The Mini14 is most often compared to the AR15, and it's a proven fact that the Mini does not come close to the performance of a quality AR. Ask any instructor who's had one of his students run a Mini in a class (they break fast) , or take a look at some of the online video tests (they jam up with a little dirt in the action).

I've owned four Mini14 rifles, down to just one at the moment (and I've taken several sizable hogs with it). Despite its shortcomings when compared to the AR15, I absolutely love Mini14's. I just don't get butthurt when people say they suck. Who cares what others think; if you like it, that's all that counts. :)

Top Bottom