• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I work at a gun store here in Austin and last year we got in a Ruger 10/22 Target model with the laminated stock and factory sewer pipe. At the time I was pretty much broke as broke gets, but I saved enough to get one this year. All I got to say is so far I'm loving it.

My Current Setup:
    Ruger 10/22 Target
    Leupold 10/22 Single Piece Base
    Leupold Medium Rings
    Redfield 4-12x40mm Scope

I shot some fouling shots through the gun a few days ago and it took about 7 shots to calm down and start grouping. It then shot about a dime sized group with the remaining 6 rounds.

Today, I bought some CCI Minimags to run through the gun and see how they grouped. First shot flyers were consistently 1" high and 2" to the left at 50 yards. I got to where the first round I would dump into a center group on the target, and then fire the remainder for group at another part of the target. The best I managed was about a 1" x 1" group at 50 yards, and a 4 shot group about 1.75" x 2" at 100 yards.

CCI Minimags are very inconsistent, and from reading about them on the board it seems like a common trend. Maybe I'll mic the rim thickness so I can organize them into group lots.

I got 113 rounds through the gun now, and I'm going to clean it again.

The factory trigger is not bad, I find it to be on par with the M77s and other moderately priced bolt rifles, just with a bit more creep. I think I'm going to see what I can do with it by disassembling the group and working it over.

As far as nice soft cases, does anyone have any suggestions? I like the discrete "tactical" soft cases, but I want one that fits the gun well.
    Venture Surplus ad

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Great rifles !! I have Dad's old, old one and a 10/22 in .22Magnum which I hear they no longer manufacture. I can't tell you whether either are minute of angle hitters but I can say they both hit the cans and small stones I shoot at with consistancy and I couldn't ask for anything more accurate. I don't shoot the .22Mag much because of the cost of the ammo but its there in the safe when I want to shoot it.....

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I am in the middle of my fourth 10/22 build. On this one, I refinished the receiver in KG gunkote(satin black). I decided to try out a zimmerman 16" barrel which is basically a turned down GM barrel. My guns like Eley Sport(purple box cheap stuff) but will one hole wolf target match. None of them have ever done well with HV or CCI ammo. You will probably get significant reductions in group size by "properly" headspacing your bolt. However, over-do it and you will get slam fires. My favorite setup has an oldschool aluminum trigger group, PC hammer, polished internals, a VQ recoil buffer, PC titanium bolt release, PC titianium bolt handle and a ER shaw stainless 18" barrel. Last range visit it out-shot a factory Target 10/22 w/hammer forged barrel and a lot more scope on it. This gun shoots 20 shot groups with federal val-pak ammo at 25yds with every round touching. It almost gets boring when shooting it at targets under 50 yds. To eliminate your 1st rd flier I would install a auto bolt release so you can just rock back the bolt and let it "naturally" seat the round in the chamber like it does when the bolt cycles.

Top Bottom