• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I have been wondering. If I got a saiga .410 shotgun or even a 20 guage could or would a rifled slug damage a smooth bore barrel. My thought is that it would but I'm unsure and wanted someone more knowledgable to give me some insight. Please don't thrash the shotgun Im using its just a question that could be used for any shotgun.
    Hurley's Gold

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    nope, that is what they are designed for...

+1 ... rifled or Foster slugs are designed for smoothbore shotguns.

Rifled shotguns use a saboted slug, or a non-rifled slug. If you fired a rifled slug in a rifled bore, it'd cause alot of lead fouling and have generally poor accuracy.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    i have been shooting some rifled slugs in a 12 gauge and havent noticed anything negative.
    Actually there pretty impressive. Shot barreled shotguns dont do as good with them as long barrels do.
    I didnt know they made them for a 410 either. If they do that would be a mean varmit killer!

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I have an 18" slug barrel for my 870. It's smooth and has an IC choke. It's specifically designed for rifled slugs and buck shot. The rifled barrels do not pattern "shot" as well as the smooth bores. But the rifled barrels with sabot (non rifled) slugs are more accurate. The only negative I've heard is if you shoot a lot of slugs out of a fairly tight fixed-choked barrel, (Mod or tighter) there is the chance you could expand the choke some.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have an 18" slug barrel for my 870. It's smooth and has an IC choke. It's specifically designed for rifled slugs and buck shot. The rifled barrels do not pattern "shot" as well as the smooth bores. But the rifled barrels with sabot (non rifled) slugs are more accurate. The only negative I've heard is if you shoot a lot of slugs out of a fairly tight fixed-choked barrel, (Mod or tighter) there is the chance you could expand the choke some.

That's actually one of the reasons they put the cuts on rifled slugs. It doesn't actually make the slug spin, but the voids allow the slug to compress and squeeze out of a choke

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    We had some of the slugs at the range and shot them into the 50 yard berm. You get used to the sight and sound of the projectile hitting the berm. The 12 gauge slugs are in a whole class by themselves! The slam when they hit and spray of dirt speak volumes about an ounce or so of lead that is gonna made a mess of whatever it hits. That's a LOT of firepower! We collected some from the berm and they were about 1 1/2" in diameter. OUCH!

Don't let folks knock your choice of shotguns. If it's yours and you like it, all anyone needs to say is "good for you!"

Gun snobs are just plain snobs.

Have fun!

Flash

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    We had some of the slugs at the range and shot them into the 50 yard berm. You get used to the sight and sound of the projectile hitting the berm. The 12 gauge slugs are in a whole class by themselves! The slam when they hit and spray of dirt speak volumes about an ounce or so of lead that is gonna made a mess of whatever it hits. That's a LOT of firepower! We collected some from the berm and they were about 1 1/2" in diameter. OUCH!

Don't let folks knock your choice of shotguns. If it's yours and you like it, all anyone needs to say is "good for you!"

Gun snobs are just plain snobs.

Have fun!

Flash

Agreed. IMO a 20 gauge shotgun makes much more sense as a home defense tool than a 12 gauge.

Having hunted Michigan white tail with a 20 gauge and put one down (brutally hard) with a 3/4 ounce slug, I agree with your assessment of what slugs will do on target. They're devastating as hell.

Top Bottom