• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I'm planning to add a semiauto .22lr to my collection for family use. My daughter had trouble learning on her semiauto BB rifle due to LOP and weight. We ended up using a shooting stick for the first year until she could hold it on her own.

Would she be better off using a 10/22 with a lightweight youth stock or a Charger/M&P 15/22 with a brace for her first firearm experience?

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
    Capitol Armory ad

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I recommend a Savage Rascal 22LR.

I would also recommend fundamental from prone or bench rest until such time as she has the core strength for unsupported shooting positions.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I agree with the rest positions. However, I want to get something that will grow with her as well as be something my wife and I can use too. Single-shot boltguns tend to have a short shelf-life in that regard.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    If you want semi-auto, hard to go wrong with a 10/22 Carbine. I like my takdown with the Magpul Backpacker stock that is fairly compact. Or you can go with a standard with a youth stock and switch it out down the road. Or get an adjustable.

I'm personally avoiding any braced pistols until the ATF fkery gets resolved.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    You didn't state age. My guess the savage is steel lined plastic barrel and the sw is steel lined receiver. I'd go with the m&p and get lots of ammo. At least that is something she could grow into. Braced pistol? Not in 22lr but 300 BO makes sense. My GKs shot my marlin 60, just wanted to shoot, not load it. Actually surprised M&P doesn't have a removable side charge handle like some shotguns.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2020
    North of Dallas
    M&P 15-22 braced pistol is the way to go. All the customizable ergonomic benefits of the AR15 design and lightweight (under 3.5 lbs) due to the plastic construction. Only caveat, as with all braced pistols, is be prepared to SBR if ATF has their way.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …I want to get something that will grow with her as well as be something my wife and I can use too.…

Kind of a unicorn due to LOP which indicates an adjustable stock is desired.

The M&P 15-22 is an option, as is the Ruger Precision Rimfire. Given those choices, I would lean towards the Precision Rimfire as the manual of arms is much simpler for a child.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    lltnzpsd7d9z.jpg

or.slacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    US
    I started both my kids (boy and girl) with a pump 22. They worked great. So well I had to go buy myself one also when we shot together. When you feel like your out grown it, have it threaded to make the fun start all over again. Silenced pump 22s are really fun for the whole family.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    I'll chime in with a couple of different ways to skin a cat. All rifles I may have owned.

1. Keystone cricket .22lr. It is a single feed. 22. It works well for my boys. At 7, my oldest at rhe time was able to hit things with the crappy iron sights.

2. Pink threaded savage rascal, also single feed. This rifle with a can on it was preferred by the boys over the non suppressed cricket, even while pink.

3. As a side note, they also enjoy both the P22 and gsg 1911-22 suppressed.

4. I attempted a scoped 10/22 but it was too heavy standing and it was shelved until older.

5. I have a full sized m&p 15-22 that will get rotated into use this winter - spring for training in manual of arms. They have not shot it yet but in holding it, they both (now 9 and 8, soon to be 10 and 9) prefer it over a "real" ar15.

6a. I have a 4 inch or so .22lr barrel and bolt kit I just got from cmmg (backorder since march) for a ar15. The plan originally was that, with a can, under a handguard of 10 or so inches. Basically a poor man's integral ar15-22. I could run it in either a pistol with brace or sbr config depending.

6b. I have a longing to set up a short barrel 10/22. I would assume a charger but if I dig far enough back I could probably find an aftermarket receiver in my 10/22 stuff. That would be a pistol with a brace.

7. In reality, I may get one of these variants in the pic. I could get a pair of them so I can get my boys out to the property walking dirt roads. Fully semi auto. Still a rifle in all aspects. Just a bb gun in others. Plus it's full auto...

acfd665329e3e3d9d53ad3c13c0d7814.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Considering the state of the world a general need for preparedness, as well as your conditions as stated, with the expectation that you will eventually transition your daughter to an AR-15, I would recommend an AR in 22LR, but not an M&P 15-22.

Either build an AR22 on a CMMG BCG and AR upper and lower using a Better Mag adapter and M&P 15-22 mags (22 LR barrel length and stock/ brace of your choice), or buy something like a CMMG Banshee or maybe a Tippman M4-22.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    The (KSA?) Cricket single-shot bolt action is REALLY a joy to hold...
    Feels like a LIGHT BB gun, weight-wise...

My daughter was scared of 5.56 from AR's with a 16"-20" barrel, until she shot it,
    then she said the sound made her think it kicked hard,
    as her MOTHER wanted to leave on that damned LOUD muzzle-break her upper came with.
    I told her it's light recoiling, BUT just NOT on the business end...

She loved the 10/22, MK-III 22/45, and MK-III, as did her maw and paw... :D
    In fact the MK series is my favorite, and I need to pick up some MK-IV replacements soon.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I almost always recommend a bolt action repeating rifle, box magazine fed, in 22 LR to teach children to shoot. The Armscor 14Y is a good example. While I can vouch for the excellent construction and reliabilty of the one I bought my son when he was around 10 - that was 22 years ago. I see changes have been made so cannot vouch for the current model; I imagine though they are quite similar and of the same quality.

A bolt action repeating rifle can be loaded and fired as a single shot. Then when the child is ready to move on to a repeater, you already have the rifle on hand, no need to buy another to replace a single shot model just load the magazine with multiple rounds. The bolt action is inherently safer than a semi-auto. If you are going to insist on going with a semi-auto, find one that fits your child fairly well and that later can have its stock replaced with an adult sized one.

Top Bottom