• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    So, I picked up my first rifle scope for my 10/22. A Mueller APT.

The view through the scope was nice but I was amazed at how precise my eye placement had to be to see through it. It had to be in the exact right spot in order to see the full view through the scope.

Having never used a scope before I was not sure if this was normal or if this was a symptom of buying an inexpensive scope.

Can someone with more experience than advise me on this?
    Target Sports

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Yep, finding the sweetspot for a scope is part of the fun. Most 10/22 stocks aren't setup for a good repeatable cheek wield. More zoom = closer you need to be in on the scope. Less zoom will give you more placement options.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Cheaper scopes have limited eye relief, especially with higher magnifications. Ultimately, even a Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender, etc. has an ultra short eye relief with anything above about 20x. I've used a NXS 8x32-56mm and at 32x it was literally about 2mm of eye relief, LOL. One thing is certain with that scope though ... you'll get better consistantcy with the short relief because you'll have to be in the same spot every time.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Cheaper scopes have limited eye relief, especially with higher magnifications. Ultimately, even a Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender, etc. has an ultra short eye relief with anything above about 20x. I've used a NXS 8x32-56mm and at 32x it was literally about 2mm of eye relief, LOL. One thing is certain with that scope though ... you'll get better consistantcy with the short relief because you'll have to be in the same spot every time.

For most rifles this is why I recommend a fixed power scope. If I'm shooting I don't want to remember where to put my cheek or need to fidget if I thought the scope was at 2.5x when it's set at 25x.

That said I would like to see more fixed magnification scopes come with adjustable objectives.

Top Bottom