• ...and so much more!
  • codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    So, I started thinking... This thing has a last shot bolt hold-open...so I only need a charging handle once right? So sre 10wdriver in hand, I toted the FAL to the range. Backed up to 100 yards and first three shots were only 8" high, centered left and right! Cranked the post up a full turn and I was 4" low. Bumped the sight 4 clicks and I was right on! That was the easiest time I've ever had sighting in a newly built rifle! 9 shots. Accuracy wise, it was damn good 2.5 - 3 MOA with SA R1M1, but only 3 round groups. I'll finish it up and see what it can really do. After I get done sighting in, I realize I hadn't even set up the gas system yet! Worked well the way I had it set though. I'll set it up propperly when I get the charging handle on, as it takes a lot of manual cycling to get it set right. I started throwing out rounds to check function, as on the first few, the bolt was a little hard to get locked, but it loosened up after a few rounds. The sights were so easy to use that I started recording a video...I couldn't believe how easy it was to hit one of my steel IPSC targets offhand! All with a rifle I've never handled before. Of course once the video started, I choked a bit, but you get the idea anyway. I'm very impressed with the FAL. THis is definately going to be one of my favorites!

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Did you ever finish this toy? If so, let us know how it is and when you're opening your shop for custom work, i've been plotting getting an FAL SA58 para. But if it convinces me that they're crap, i'll save $1300.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Did you ever finish this toy? If so, let us know how it is and when you're opening your shop for custom work, i've been plotting getting an FAL SA58 para. But if it convinces me that they're crap, i'll save $1300.

I sure did! It's a great gun. It's been sadly neglected for the past few months while I've been working on some other stuff.

The only thing I've been noticing is that the first round hits about 6" low. Besides that first round, it's very accurate for a battle rifle, ~2 MOA (4 out of 5 shots) all day with the load I worked up for it. The first shot low problem is an issue with the way the bolt locks up.

It's funny that you bumped this today, I was actually looking into this problem this morning, just hit me out of nowhere that I never addressed it. I'm going to experiment with the next larger size locking shoulder to try and lengthen the headspace a tiny bit. My theory is that, although looser, it will be more consistent how the bolt closes. We'll see.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    That first shot low seems a little odd to me. Is it with the amount of force that the bolt locks in that causes a stress or lack of on the head of the case, causing awkward alignment with the bore center? If this were a year from now and I would hopefully have a shop, lathe and mill and be testing along with you. Keep us informed, this is definitely a build that has sparked my interest.

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    It's funny that you bumped this today, I was actually looking into this problem this morning, just hit me out of nowhere that I never addressed it. I'm going to experiment with the next larger size locking shoulder to try and lengthen the headspace a tiny bit. My theory is that, although looser, it will be more consistent how the bolt closes. We'll see.

I'm stymied on the first round low issue as well. I haven't built a FAL in years but I seem to recall it was pretty common for some of them that started out with headspacing that was on the tight side to loosen up after a couple hundred rounds after everything setback in place. Let us know how that goes and if the next size shoulder has an effect on the first shot.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Is it with the amount of force that the bolt locks in that causes a stress or lack of on the head of the case, causing awkward alignment with the bore center?

That's what it seems like to me. I am assuming that when I manually charge it, the bolt is resting in a few thousanths off from where it sits when it cycles on it's own. The tilting bolt that the system uses is to blame. My rifle headspaces on the extreme short side of the acceptable range, so I'm thinking if I swap the locking shoulder for the next size smaller, it will open the headspace up more towards the middle of the range and allow the lockup to be a little more consistent. I might lose a bit of overall accuracy, but as it is, 6" is plenty enough to miss the first shot, so I'm not that worried.

walt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Worth
    What does it take to put one together? When you buy one of these parts kits what do you still need to put it together? To just have a pretty basic FAL? I'm a little confused on the legality of one, is there a definative source (book or manual) that I should invest in? Thanks It looks like fun to build one
    and it would be a perfect gun to add to the collection

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    What does it take to put one together? When you buy one of these parts kits what do you still need to put it together? To just have a pretty basic FAL? I'm a little confused on the legality of one, is there a definative source (book or manual) that I should invest in? Thanks It looks like fun to build one
    and it would be a perfect gun to add to the collection

You will need:

Parts Kit
    Receiver - I used a Coonan receiver and I'd suggest one in a heartbeat.
    US Made Compliance Parts - I'd suggest these:
    -US Made Hammer, Trigger and Sear
    -US Made Handguard
    -US Made Pistol Grip
    -US Made Buttstock

That will put you in compliance and doesn't cost too much. I ended up having to replace my gas piston too as mine was bent, and even the slightest bend in that piston will put your rifle out of service.

You will need the following tools to do it yourself:

-Vise
    -Receiver Wrench - Few companies still make these, but you can still find them on Ebay or Gunbroker. If you can't let me know and maybe I can help you out.
    -Barrel Viseblock - You can get these from Brownells. They usually aren't gun specific, but I think I remember them selling FAL specific ones.
    -Hammer
    -Punches
    -Screwdrivers
    -Angle Grinder or Cutoff Wheel - You will need this to get the old receiver stub off of the barrel.

These tools are at a minimum. You may also end up needing to take some metal off of the shoulder to get the barrel to time correctly, I did. I used a lathe, but I've seen people do it without. I can't remember how they went about it, but I'm sure you could google it and find out.

If you decide to do the build, let me know if you need any advise on getting it together. It's not the easiest build to do, but it's not the hardest either.

walt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Worth
    So whats the deal with the compliance parts, I like things made in the US of course but why? Does the kit not come with the trigger and stock assemblies? (this is just out of curiousity, for my own knowledge) Let me get this right when you order the kit you get a barrel with the stub of an upper reciever attached to it? can the barrel not be "unscrewed"? What else does come with the initial kit? I have access to a lathe. when you say time the barrel do you mean just turn down the face and chase the threads??

Thanks for info on the build too, great thread. Im just a little a behind on the basics

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    So whats the deal with the compliance parts, I like things made in the US of course but why? Does the kit not come with the trigger and stock assemblies? (this is just out of curiousity, for my own knowledge) Let me get this right when you order the kit you get a barrel with the stub of an upper reciever attached to it? can the barrel not be "unscrewed"? What else does come with the initial kit? I have access to a lathe. when you say time the barrel do you mean just turn down the face and chase the threads??

Thanks for info on the build too, great thread. Im just a little a behind on the basics

922(r). It's a points system for importing long guns. Importers disassemble the rifles overseas and chop up the receiver, or buy the parts like that already. Then they are imported here where some companies assemble them and sell them as complete rifles or they are sold as parts kits. I think new kits can't be imported with a barrel now. But anyway because of 922(r) the manufacturer has to use a certain amount of US made parts to stay legal. There's also stuff about "evil features". It's all very confusing but there are guides out there that can help you out with what compliance parts to use.

Top Bottom