• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    can you tell I prefer Hogue monogrips on my K frames?

1948 S&W pre model 14 K 38 6” .38spl.
    1954 S&W C-series 5”.38spl.
    1967 S&W Model 15-2 combat masterpiece 4” .38spl.

none are particularly collectible nor in pristine condition… but they sure shoot well!
    IMG_7679.jpeg

MTA

TGT Addict
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Picked this used 629 up for only $999. Pretty much got the cerakote job for free. OD green is my favorite color and I love shooting .44 mag, so I had to have it. Swapped the shitty factory rubber grips for some Hogues and it's a work of art, now. View attachment 439295
    I typically would not go for cerakote on a revolver but the od with these grips works well

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I typically would not go for cerakote on a revolver but the od with these grips works well

Whatever keeps me from having to wipe it down with oil every 6 months. Nitrided autos have me spoiled.

It's a 629-6 with a lock, so no collectibility value. (Yes, I removed the lock.) Bonus points for being the same model I first shot .44 mag from almost 20 years ago after watching Dirty Harry.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Whatever keeps me from having to wipe it down with oil every 6 months. Nitrided autos have me spoiled.

It's a 629-6 with a lock, so no collectibility value. (Yes, I removed the lock.) Bonus points for being the same model I first shot .44 mag from almost 20 years ago after watching Dirty Harry.
    I like your thinking, and the finish to grip accent is excellent. Dirty Harry and his S&W graced us way back 71or 72? I take it you are not yet a member of the old fart gang.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Regarding #2 The cylinder had inserts instead of being tempered throughout?

#4: Huh?

#7: It sounds like the "Boss" is an ejector shroud, though one isn't pictured?

#10: I always knew the chambers were tapered, but are they really that tight? I've never seen lead in the end of any of mine.

#11: Huh? Never seen that on any of my Smiths.

My only M&Ps are old Model 10s, polymer Bodyguard 38s, or 9MMs. This sounds like a whole different animal.

Paul Saver

Aug 17, 2023
    North Texas
    Regarding #2 The cylinder had inserts instead of being tempered throughout?

#4: Huh?

#10: I always knew the chambers were tapered, but are they really that tight? I've never seen lead in the end of any of mine.

My only M&Ps are old Model 10s, polymer Bodyguard 38s, or 9MMs. This sounds like a whole different animal.
    1899 Year model. Who knows what the hell they are talking about.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It looks like it's that raised section immediately behind the knurled section. If that prevents bending sufficient to create a permanent change, it could qualify as a boss in the metalworking sense. See here.
    Sounds like a good claim for an advertisement but likely an overstatement. We've all seen plenty of revolvers that will drop fired cases with lots of soot on the front half. If I were trying to sell revolvers, I'd sure claim the chambers were tight and that, as a result, less crap gets deposited forward of the cartridge case. I've seen lots of lead in the chambers of revolvers but I'm not picturing how a tight chamber could help.
    That sounds like a nice feature, though. Probably a manufacturing cost risk since it would require a bit of material to be removed from the frame. Screw that up and an otherwise good frame becomes scrap. I'm not surprised the feature got dropped.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    It looks like it's that raised section immediately behind the knurled section. If that prevents bending sufficient to create a permanent change, it could qualify as a boss in the metalworking sense. See here.

Sounds like a good claim for an advertisement but likely an overstatement. We've all seen plenty of revolvers that will drop fired cases with lots of soot on the front half. If I were trying to sell revolvers, I'd sure claim the chambers were tight and that, as a result, less crap gets deposited forward of the cartridge case. I've seen lots of lead in the chambers of revolvers but I'm not picturing how a tight chamber could help.

That sounds like a nice feature, though. Probably a manufacturing cost risk since it would require a bit of material to be removed from the frame. Screw that up and an otherwise good frame becomes scrap. I'm not surprised the feature got dropped.

Did you ever get that 29 fixed? I'll still buy it!

Top Bottom