• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My friend Bonnie and I saw "Maleficent" at the cheap Senior's matinee, today. It cost $8 each. In all, it was a fun ride and I'll share some of it with you. We saw the movie in 3D.

Maleficent is a fairy.............very young, charming, positive and fun. She has an wonderful life in the "Moors", a jungle like woodland filled with fantasy creatures.

Maleficent has wings and is an overload on cute. She flies around meeting and greeting the fantasy creatures all over the moors. In fact, one of my favorite parts of the flick was seeing Maleficent soaring, and zooming around her fantasy home!

A young visitor from the far off castle domain enters the Moors and steals something from the residents. Maleficent gets him to give it back and they become close friends. As they get older, the two drift apart and eventually, the young man returns to the castle world. At this point, viewers might think that there's a future brewing between Maleficent and the kid but it was not to be.

The King of the castle, having known about life in the Moors, decides that their independence is not a good thing, so he gathers his army and invades them. Maleficent and her army of fantasy creatures whips the army and Maleficent whips the crap out of the king personally.

Back at the castle, the beaten army and the King who is mortally injured (and knows that he's checking out), calls his team together and offers his throne to any of them who exacts revenge from Maleficent.

The young man from early in the story is one of the Kings' head guys and knows what to do. He returns to Maleficent, they resume their friendship and he feeds her some knock out potion. When she awakes, she finds that her wings have been chopped off! Her attacker returns to the castle, presents the wings to the King and is granted the throne.

Maleficent, now wingless, gets mad! She turns from the sweet little beauty of her youth into a mean, vengeful, dark and cold Bitch. Her transformation was like we experience when we marry the love of our life.....sweet, gentle and loving. At our divorce proceedings, that beautiful, woman turns into the wingless Maleficent! It was ugly!

The real story begins right here so we'll leave it for your own discovery.

What I liked.

The early parts of the movie were sweet and very pleasing to the eye. Things were beautiful, loving and colorful. That was really fun and enjoyable.

The movie was a tremendous challenge for Jolie. There were changes that she encountered that HAD to be difficult to portray as an actress. This is a real step up from some of her earlier movies.

There were three pixies in the story who were just delightful. The blonde pixie takes cute off of the scale! She is a beauty! Interaction between them is very entertaining.

The story has some real lessons in morality, vengeance and forgiveness. Character changes were profound and interesting to see.

Bonnie heard that Jolie's own daughter appears briefly. We thought it was in the scene where a child was running along and runs over a cliff......only to be rescued by a fantasy creature. Bonnie told me that there were retakes needed as the child kept calling Jolie "Mom" which ruined the scene. I need to fact check that.

We saw the movie in 3D and there were many instances where the 3D provided a visual treat. In "Gravity", the 3D effects were limited. In Maleficent, birds flew out to you, or from your position into the scene. The effects were almost constant throughout the flick. I recommend that you see the 3D version. Bonnie and I both experienced headaches from earlier 3D movies, but neither one of us had any negative reaction to this film.

What I did NOT like.............

After Maleficent is de-winged, almost all of the photography was dark, sullen and brooding. That photography told the story well but I didn't like the dark scenes.

The movie flunked my "doze" test. In the middle of the flick, there is a long series of scenes that may be called "chick flick specials". Women may like that but I caught myself dozing off. Bonnie always keeps me from snoring so it wasn't embarrassing but my eyes did slam shut a few times.

The "Sleeping Beauty" girl is very pretty but her smiles showed too many teeth. She'd turn on that smile and it flashed back to the Farrah Faucet nipple poster.....remember? People who have 500 teeth should not smile like that!.......snicker.

Overall.....
    The flick is 1 hour, 37 minutes and is a fun ride. I was prepared NOT to like the movie but I actually did. It is very different fare in today's menu of movies.

I gave it an A-. Bonnie didn't give it a grade but she liked it, too.

There are scenes of violence with swords, clubs and knives. Blood is spilled but it's not gory. Language is mild and I detected no foul or off color words.

For kids? It depends. Hatred is an ugly thing and there was plenty of that. If your kids are prepared to witness that fury and accept that in time, it softens, they'll be OK.

I recommend the movie "Maleficent!" It's fun, entertaining and vastly different from the usual film offering.

Flash
    DK Firearms

Last edited:
    Top Bottom