• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Today, I went to see "Edge Of Tomorrow" at the Senior cheap show. Because I needed to grocery shop, I took the early show in 2D instead of 3D. It was nearly 2 hours long and a wild, entertainment ride! I loved the flick!

Earth is at war with an alien species that has landed with conquest of our planet in mind. Tom Cruise is a Major in the US Army who flies in to England to do some promotional and propaganda work. He meets with a British General and that talk goes very badly. At this point, Cruise is his usual, cocky, smart ass self and I thought "Oh, No! another "Top Gun" movie! I was sure wrong. Cruise gets mouthy with the General and even attempts to blackmail him. That was a HUGE mistake!

The General screws Cruise over big time and assigns him to a front line unit that is ready for combat within a day or so. Cruise has NO real military skills!

Their fighters go into combat in mechanized suits equipped with many kinds of weaponry but Cruise doesn't even know how they work! The attack is actually an ambush and Cruise gets killed. ZAP! He shifts back to when the General had him sent to the combat unit and the whole scene replays again. The movie turns into a rerun of "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray. The scene keeps replaying over & over until Cruise determines that he can change the events.....and so he does.

The scene replays in so many neat variations that it's never boring or excessively repetitive. This was a smash 'em, bash 'em, run like Hell with twists and turns as the plot unfolds and we gain knowledge of how the enemy operates and how they deceive their victims. WOW! What a ride!

Emily Blunt is a Sergeant who hooks up with Cruise and she knows exactly what he is going through with the flashbacks. Together, they look for a way to vanquish the aliens. She is great in her role and I was totally fascinated with her blend of toughness and sensitivity. She is MY kind of woman!

What I liked:

This plot is terrific! There are more twists and turns than I can ever remember in a movie! Every time you think you nailed the plot........... it will change again!

Emily Blunt. She's pretty in an odd sort of way and she's one tough "B"! I like her!

Tom Cruise. I am not a fan and grew tired of his "Top Gun" smart ass persona. This is totally different! Some folks say that Cruise is finished as a leading man in an action flick. The changes in his character throughout this movie were profound and it displayed courage and skill as an actor to pull it off. If he stays with this trend, I could grow to like him as an actor!

I kept hooked up 100% of the time in this movie. I was totally absorbed in the action and the plot kept me guessing the entire time. I am a plot monster who can figure out a flick very quickly then sit back and coast through the rest of the movie. Not so with "Edge of Tomorrow." You MUST stay glued to the action to understand what is happening in the story. There's no problem with that. You will want to stay engaged.

Action scenes were intense and frequent. Weaponry was very cool!

It was fascinating to see how many different ways they could replay the same scene without being boring or repetitious. They tricked you time after time then followed up with still more!

What I did NOT like:

The 2D version was not sharp. Scenes appeared fuzzy and out of focus.I recommend that you see the 3D version. It was obvious where 3D could have provided startling effects and it would have been neat to experience them. There are many visual tricks in this movie that would make 3D a treat.

There was shaking of the camera and very fast panning to blur action shots. The effects worked OK but those camera techniques are annoying.

Robotic war machines were familiar and nothing new.

In General.

I gave "Edge of Tomorrow" an A+! It takes a LOT to keep me hooked into a story and this one passed with flying colors!

Language was very mild but it IS a war movie so there's plenty of violence. Explicit gore is minimal.

This movie is a MUST SEE! Don't miss it!

Flash
    Lynx Defense

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I saw it and liked it as well. It's hard to watch Tom Cruise in any scifi flick, tho... It's always in the back of my mind it might be some scientology propaganda :p

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The movie is currently holding 3rd place at the box office with a movie about a girl with lung disease (chick-flick) in 1st. Good or not, I have to believe it's weak showing is because so many are fed up with Cruise's personality and Scientology crap.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I stopped boycotting most performers long ago except for Jim Carrey and Marg Helgenberger who really pissed me off. Cruise is like any whore. You throw down a $5 bill and he performs. His politics and religion are meaningless.

Flash

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I saw it tonight and give it a thumbs up as well. Movie was classy didn't need to reach for sex or cliches to keep entertained.

Amazing how many ways they kept Tom from looking short though. :-)

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    I thought it was great. I highly recommend the book it was based off of "All You Need is Kill"

The book and the movie are similar but the movie took a different tact and uses a different "rule". I like that I can see the similarities but I am not at all upset with the liberties they took with the movie. They work as separate stories but experiencing both is worthwhile and it is a "light" novel so it's a quick read and still pretty mind-blowing.

Tom Cruise is actually a pretty decent actor. Like so many actors though, as his ego got bigger his range became "Hey! I'm Tom Cruise" which was not endearing. He's had a better leash on his ego in the last few flicks I've seen him in. That said, his presence always makes me wary and I was hoping he wouldn't screw this up.

It was a good Father's Day flick for sure.

Top Bottom