• ...and so much more!
  • RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I've always wanted to build a replica of an M16A1, I thought it was one of the coolest looking rifles with it's triangular handguard and 20" pencil barrel profile. I started hunting down the parts for a build about a year ago and now I finally have everything I need to get started on this project. I'll be using original and new parts in this build. I plan on shooting this rifle so I'm not interested in an original shot out barrel or worn bcg etc. My goal is to have a faithful reproduction that's reliable and shoots well. So here I go.

This is what I'm starting with. I'm using an original Colt M16A1 upper and a Brownell's M16A1 reproduction lower.
    UyInkZF.jpg

This upper has seen some action over the years and has the scars to prove it.
    brra3Um.jpg

I removed just enough material to smooth out the damage to the top of the carry handle and then recontoured it back to the original shape.
    pnDxINB.jpg

I did likewise for the rest of the gouges and nicks. It's actually smoother now than it was originally as I removed some of the casting flash marks.
    uXPyK1c.jpg

I also lapped the face of the receiver where the barrel seats. I've heard a lot of arguments that say this doesn't help accuracy but I figured It couldn't hurt. I got the tool on sale for $25.00 so It didn't hurt to at least try it.
    CMneACa.jpg

I originally took the upper and lower to a gun smith to have it Cerakoted, I was there to have some laser engraving done on the lower so I thought, why not. Only trouble was I didn't like the grey color I chose. Instead of waiting weeks to have the gun smith Cerakote it again I decided to do it myself. I ordered this gun on Amazon, it's made by Shop Fox and it did a fantastic job so I can recommend it. It uses an 0.8 tip which is what Cerakote recommends.
    eo96ZnE.jpg

The basic process is this: Clean all parts with brake cleaner, blast all parts with aluminum oxide, I use an air etcher for this. Then the parts are heated to burn off any oils, at no point can the parts be touched by hand during the process, gloves are worn at all times. Then the Cerakote is run through a strainer and sprayed. Sounds like a lot but I can assure you it's easy. It does make a mess though. I chose Graphite Black which turned out to be a dead ringer for the original Colt finish. I'm really happy with this color.
    AiKWVgI.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    The barrel I chose for this project is made by Green Mountain, it's the correct pencil profile for the M16A1. It's chrome lined 1/12 twist. The Colt front sight was installed and properly taper pinned and parkerized by TNTE. I checked the head space with the bolt I'll be using before installing and all tests passed.
    s4mncKh.jpg

dG4VPmO.jpg

V560IR8.jpg

I installed the barrel by the book, torqueing to 30 ft. lbs and then backing it off three times. Final torque was 35 ft lbs. Aero Shell was used on the threads and barrel extension.
    xoHcW1h.jpg

Last edited:

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I used all new Colt parts for the upper.
    v1qVhy7.jpg

I used a USGI issue M16 HPT/MP marked chrome lined BCG purchased through Fulton Amory. They use these in their match rifles.
    Fx5Vh6I.jpg

I saved the original dust cover by cleaning it with steel wool and then bluing it. Likewise for the rear sight, I'm missing the small spring that goes under the peep sight, hopefully I can get it by next week so I can try this rifle out.
    JebRgOo.jpg

quZzlp8.jpg

I wanted to try and replicate the original tritium front sight. After some searching I found that Meprolight makes an almost identical copy of the original. Here it is installed, it works in the same manner as the original.
    04fREMB.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Here is a look at the inside of the handguard. I have all original unissued M16A1 furniture for this rifle.
    r3TunaC.jpg

The completed upper.
    JHfCgh4.jpg

I used all new springs for the forward assist and dust cover. The flat delta ring is an original Colt part.
    SPQJzQP.jpg

S6QCMNu.jpg

Y41etgp.jpg

LlDbirU.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    If you have a Gibson's Discount store in your area you might want to check them for springs. Last time I was in one of their stores they had quite a selection.

It's a flat spring metal piece not shaped like a coil spring, it fits in a shaped slot under the peep sight. Only way to replace it is with another one, I've got it ordered just have to wait on it to come in. I think I lost it when I first stripped the receiver. I put everything into plastic bags and labeled them when I tore it down, I just must have dropped it somewhere. Bummer that I have to wait to shoot it, then again I've been waiting a long time so one more week won't kill me.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I've actually got the rifle finished, I found I was missing the roll pin for the rear of the trigger guard in addition to the peep sight spring. I wasted time trying to find one locally. I just ended up ordering one from Midway along with some other gun stuff I needed anyway. I guess I'll hold off on photos of the rifle until it's all the way done.

This is the trigger set I went with, feels great should be a nice shooter. I don't really care for light triggers on a combat rifle, the 6lb pull works for me.
    SKVB2rM.jpg

xtlD1bZ.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I decided to press on and finished the assembly last night. Just waiting on one tiny spring and one roll pin for the trigger guard. Both should be here by Tuesday.

QWhyoLj.jpg

3q3JWOI.jpg

I found nearly every accessory that came with the rifle, these are all original. The cleaning kit fits into the bakelite compartment in the stock.
    2ciq7nI.jpg

OtHVSYP.jpg

Original Colt M7 with the correct M8A1 scabbard.
    K4j7JyI.jpg

Original stock with aluminum trapdoor.
    3aEvoMI.jpg

Bakelite cleaning kit compartment.
    E4d3wpS.jpg

Original GI issue Colt strap still sealed.
    6GRP4Yl.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Markings and differences between the A1 and later variants.

KEuGbjU.jpg

Improvements were made to the receiver with the A2 and later variants.
    cSWFfUg.jpg

Original Colt full birdcage flash hider kicked up dust when fired from prone position. A2 and later variants had the bottom of the flash hider enclosed.
    stoSptG.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    The lower received an ALG trigger assembly, original Colt M16A1 bolt catch and mag release, new Colt selector, CMMG detents and springs, USGI Issue rifle length buffer and tube and a Wolff rifle length buffer spring. The furniture is original and unissued, some call it the fiberglass stock though it feels more like the bakelite the Russians used to me.

I can't wait to shoot this gun! It has a nice balanced feel to it.
    SSyzgqX.jpg

Tp4c65X.jpg

AFQeokL.jpg

vzNN67X.jpg

gDVCMrr.jpg

PsiYjz3.jpg

LJ6EUYE.jpg

HB5Ne5H.jpg

kohRSNN.jpg

HXKIP5z.jpg

UO2nD4W.jpg

R6V1To6.jpg

TXxl1bB.jpg

Last edited:

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Now all you need is the comic book they came up with for maintaining the M16A1. My buddy was our battalion armorer in Germany and discovered a case of these tucked away. I advised him to save them as collectors items.

I've seen these on e-bay, I'll see if I can get one.

I also have the LSA they recommend too. :cool:
    XuBgJ5h.jpg

Last edited:

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Thanks guys, as soon as I get the last two parts installed I'll give an update on the performance. I'm curious to see how the Green Mountain barrel does. Hopefully it's as accurate as my other Colts.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom