• ...and so much more!
  • RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Called the gun shop today and they said my receiver is number 2 in line so it won't be much longer. I wish I had opened a gun shop, those guys are busy over there making $$$.

Here's the replica CAR-15 handguard. You can see the difference between the modern M4 handguard on the bottom and the CAR-15. A modern M4 type handguard has a slightly oval shape, seven vent holes and a covered gas tube. The replica is from Retro Rifles.
    kx28xmo.jpg

The A1 rifle also had an exposed gas tube.
    WQjGLSQ.jpg

And here is the reproduction lock ring. Once I get the receiver back I'll torque it to spec and then mark it for staking pockets. I'll then cut the pockets and then it will be aluminum oxide blasted and coated with KG Gunkote. I've got two colors to mix that should replicate the gray park of the original.
    9RA3Zgr.jpg
    DK Firearms

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    where did you find that handguard, mine has 7 holes

i put this together after realizing i shouldn’t have sold off my first CAR.

i would much rather find a non fwd assist upper. 6EC7A6D6-AF76-4362-89F4-33BADE33A59B.jpeg
    4541C0CC-C48B-493A-8035-C58CE735CD1F.jpeg

Last edited:

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Well I'm still waiting on my receiver to come back from engraving. I'll be honest, I'm beginning to lose patience with the shop, I'll play a long a little while longer though.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Well I'm going to give the shop until Friday and if they're not done I'm picking up my receiver. I found another shop in Plano that says they do laser engraving while you wait or overnight if they're really busy. The receiver has been with the current shop since March 5th, I think they've had more than enough time. Or am I being too impatient?

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Well I'm going to give the shop until Friday and if they're not done I'm picking up my receiver. I found another shop in Plano that says they do laser engraving while you wait or overnight if they're really busy. The receiver has been with the current shop since March 5th, I think they've had more than enough time. Or am I being too impatient?
    Loaded question. Some follow up from them would have gone a long way. If I was still set up I’d do what you need for dirt cheap. But for now I’m out of the game.

My father in law is expanding with more equipment and I’ll offer my help.

I would make the call based on customer service; they helpful or dicks?

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Loaded question. Some follow up from them would have gone a long way. If I was still set up I’d do what you need for dirt cheap. But for now I’m out of the game.

My father in law is expanding with more equipment and I’ll offer my help.

I would make the call based on customer service; they helpful or dicks?

Yeah they seem really nice, not many complaints in reviews. I was told it would be about seven days when I dropped it off. I called once before and they said it was just about the next one in line. They were fairly busy though, guess I'll give it a bit more time. Really itching to finish the build and shoot this one.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yeah they seem really nice, not many complaints in reviews. I was told it would be about seven days when I dropped it off. I called once before and they said it was just about the next one in line. They were fairly busy though, guess I'll give it a bit more time. Really itching to shoot this one.
    Wait it out. Some people are terrible at projecting projects. Probably nice guys.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Got the receiver back from laser engraving, I'm very pleased! They had trouble replicating the logo which is why it took so long, they nailed it though. The depth is perfect.

He added the white paint to highlight the work, I'll be removing it though as the whole receiver will be aluminum oxide blasted and Cerakoted graphite black like the upper. Will have to wait until the weekend when I have the free time.
    2YBlv5h.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Currently breaking a few of my own rules concerning ovens and gun coatings. :green: Trying for a more matte finish.

NQlGVbp.jpg

Yae2OjS.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Almost there! Final touches and test fire this weekend.

That's all I'm showing for now. My usual setup, ALG trigger and Fulton Armory innards. I used an H2 buffer since it's an 11.5 inch barrel, hopefully that's not too much.
    8wgzn3J.jpg

All the SOG guys made their own straps mostly from the GI issue universal sling, I found one and I'm currently working out how to attach it. I'm using commie AK loops, seems plausible that they could have been picked up from a dead enemy soldier.
    CPKvGAo.jpg

A while back when I was searching through surplus sites for the strap I found these dummy M26 and M18 smoke grenades for reenactors. Had a little fun with them. :green:
    azLopoV.jpg

M18 smoke insulator made from disposable plastic cup (bottom piece). Grenades got some primer.
    Iku1F3C.jpg

And after some airbrush and weathering magic. Thought about doing some weathering on the carbine too, maybe next time.
    P13WJJY.jpg

rzFCW3J.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom