• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Security Pro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    San Antonio
    While doing the research with the law enforcement community on a newly patented device which I won't go into here we discovered some disturbing facts and figures. 80% of all of the firearms used in the commission of violent crime (except domestic violence) are stolen out of our homes, businesses and cars. They are not bought at the gun show as certain groups would have us believe in an attempt to shut down gun shows.

The police are frequently called to a home by the homeowner and when they arrive and ask what the problem is the homeowner says "I'm missing a handgun". The police inquire as to the last time they saw it and they reply "I'm not really sure, two, three weeks ago". When asked where it was they frequently indicate it was in a drawer, in a closet, on a shelf, etc. The police say did you have break in or a robbery and the answer is no. When pressed as to what has happened since the discovered it missing and the last time they saw it goes all over the place from we had a big party, the pest control folks were here, we have a new maid or we had the carpets cleaned to whatever. Most of our tradesmen who supply services to the home are trust worthy, god fearing people but it does pay to know who you are letting in your home.

Groups often work the parking lots of the malls where it is a thousand to one shot that if they are in a car stealing guns, check books, credit cards, GPS, cell phone or a purse that anyone will know it is not their car. That little scanner that you heard about in the email telling you not to use the fob to set your alarm because they can capture and clone the code to unlock you car, it's real and they target pick up trucks & suv's.

Take care and the gun you save may be yours,
    Gun Zone Deals

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    Have a BIG gun safe, bolt that bad boy to the floor too.
    Alarm on the house would be good, cell backup to call police since many good burglars cut phone lines before breaking into the house since they see the alarm company placard outside.

I keep my serial numbers in email, meaning I wrote all of my serial numbers on the "notepad" program and emailed it to myself so I could access it from any computer or from my Blackberry in the event of burglary or fire.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    This is one reason I hate living in an apartment. SEVERAL times a year the apartment management will come in my apartment when I am not at home. Usually for things like pest control, fire inspections, etc. Most of these are city issued inspections that have to be done, I can't refuse or fight them. I always lock up my valuables when the time comes, they give you 1 day notice of their inspections. I am still uneasy about it though, it's in the back of my mind all day.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I haven't emailed em to myself yet but i'll get around to it. I do have them written down in some places so I can get to it if need be. I need a safe to but that aint cheap.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I currently keep my list in my safe, I will probably email them to myself as well, lol....

EDIT: At least if robbers get into it, they can make sure thet got them all.........

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The police are frequently called to a home by the homeowner and when they arrive and ask what the problem is the homeowner says "I'm missing a handgun". The police inquire as to the last time they saw it and they reply "I'm not really sure, two, three weeks ago". When asked where it was they frequently indicate it was in a drawer, in a closet, on a shelf, etc. The police say did you have break in or a robbery and the answer is no. When pressed as to what has happened since the discovered it missing and the last time they saw it goes all over the place from we had a big party, the pest control folks were here, we have a new maid or we had the carpets cleaned to whatever. Most of our tradesmen who supply services to the home are trust worthy, god fearing people but it does pay to know who you are letting in your home.

As a former police officer I find that NOT to be true, but I wold LOVE to read your "research".

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    I currently keep my list in my safe, I will probably email them to myself as well, lol....

EDIT: At least if robbers get into it, they can make sure thet got them all.........

We would not want to inconvenience the bastards now would we? Ha.
    A friend has his on a laminated card in his wallet but since I have a smart phone I can access it just as easily in my email.
    I used to keep all of mine on a list in the safe but the prospect of getting the safe stolen WITH the serial numbers seemed silly.

Just my method, not necessarily the end-all-be-all method.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    This is one reason I hate living in an apartment. SEVERAL times a year the apartment management will come in my apartment when I am not at home. Usually for things like pest control, fire inspections, etc. Most of these are city issued inspections that have to be done, I can't refuse or fight them. I always lock up my valuables when the time comes, they give you 1 day notice of their inspections. I am still uneasy about it though, it's in the back of my mind all day.

Good reason to have a dog lol

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I have pictures of the guns and the serial numbers. The serial numbers written in my file cabinet (you know, so they know where the good paper stuff is and not have to look for it : ( )

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I need a safe to but that aint cheap.

For the cost of one decent gun you can have a decent gun safe. Academy has good prices. Their safes arent top of the line but they are WAY better than putting your guns in the closet. Of the friends I have that get into the shooting sports, I have told them all after their 2nd or 3rd gun purchase that it is time to get a safe.
    Back in the day I used to take a Poloroid pic and write the serial number on the bottom...for those of you born after 1980 a Poloroid is a picture that develops itself in a few minutes. They were very popular......oh, hell. Nevermind.:rolleyes:

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    for those of you born after 1980 a Poloroid is a picture that develops itself in a few minutes. They were very popular......oh, hell. Nevermind.:rolleyes:

Hey now I was born in 81 and I know what a Poloroid is.

I keep pics of my guns and all my SNs on a flash drive in my Saftey deposit box

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I was born in 85' and I know what they are. . . . Now we just plug the camera/computer into the printer.

Spancy, I know.

I remember waving them around to help them develop. . . .I never understood why.

deputy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    TX
    I photograph what i have (including the serial numbers) and have it on disc and also on an internet photo site.

as far as firearms safes. Most will stop a good portion of the smash and grab boys. I did, however, run across this video about gun safes. It will get your attention about how a little knowledge and effort can ruin your day.

YouTube - Security on Sale Gun safe Prying video

Security Pro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    San Antonio
    I am happy to supply what you need but please tell me specifically what you are questioning? Which part do you find not true? Our facts come from the FBI statistical report, the International Chief of Police, the Texas Crime Prevention Association and our own Texas Rangers.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I photograph what i have (including the serial numbers) and have it on disc and also on an internet photo site.

as far as firearms safes. Most will stop a good portion of the smash and grab boys. I did, however, run across this video about gun safes. It will get your attention about how a little knowledge and effort can ruin your day.

YouTube - Security on Sale Gun safe Prying video
    Impressive and fast work by those guys. I take issue with the statement that the burglars in the video are not "professionals", when in fact as guys that sell safes, they would know exactly where to pry and how to defeat a safe. You have to realize that given enough time and determination BGs will eventually defeat almost every security measure. Most of us can afford to put up some deterrents that will slow them to the point that they leave without investing the time to break into a safe, unless they ae after something specific. In my experience, most burglars are smash and grab, get in and out fast. There are so many Texas homes with no security (not even a locked front door) and guns in every closet, that when they hit some obstacles they move on to another mark. My safe is far from totally secure, but it makes me feel safer than the old days when I didnt have one and does offer some fire protection as well.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I would say that 99% of the time a safe that size is not gonna be sitting in the middle of a room so that it could be tipped on to it's back and used for leverage...

I agree with Texascop2 on this one, Even a cheap safe used as a deterrent is better than seeing the firearm leaning against the closet wall ripe for the taking..

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    {sniff} Does this thread pass the smell test? A come-on for a sales pitch? Stats from the Brady bunch??? {sniff}

Nope, doesn't smell right to me.

Top Bottom