• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I understand how it works, but I just don't see it how it would be advantageous over just posting a starting price and going from there. Am I missing something?
    ARJ Defense ad

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The seller may opt to sell at any price they wish or reserve the option to re-list if the reserve is met. For example...

I'm selling a gun and my reserve price is $200.00...
    The Auction Ends and the highest bidder was $170.00....
    Because my reserve was not met I am not obligated to sell that item for $170.00 like I would have to in a regular auction.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I guess my point is why not just list it for $200? However if one was willing to sell it for $170 I could see why the reserve option might work for some. Thanks

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That is usually how it goes, if you are the highest bidder and the seller decides to go with you you will be notified that the seller accepts your offer. If they dont you will be notified that it wasnt accepted and most likeley get notification when the item is relisted to try again.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Some sellers have a buy it now price which may or may not be their reserve price. Others list an opening bid which may or may not be the reserve. Still others list an opening bid and a reserve and a buy it now.

It all comes down to you place your bid and take your chances.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    I have used reserve on some of my auction items in the past. Using the above example of $200 if I felt the item was worth 200 or more or it cost me 200 and I just wanted to off load it there would be a $200 reserve. However I am hoping that someone out there thinks it is worth far more that 200... and bids it up to say $400 the price they felt it was worth to them.

This way I make out a lot better than just listing it for $200. And if no one offers close I do not have to sell at a loss.

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Sometimes I think listers are just letting people know they have the gun and if somebody is enough sucker to pay what they are asking so be it. (I suspect the same thing on Texas Gun Trader on some listers.) I have bought several pistols on Auction Arms for less than the reserve because I was the high bidder, but did not meet the reserve, nor did I pay the reserve. I was contacted by the seller, but Auction Arms still gets their commission.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I have used reserve on some of my auction items in the past. Using the above example of $200 if I felt the item was worth 200 or more or it cost me 200 and I just wanted to off load it there would be a $200 reserve. However I am hoping that someone out there thinks it is worth far more that 200... and bids it up to say $400 the price they felt it was worth to them.

This way I make out a lot better than just listing it for $200. And if no one offers close I do not have to sell at a loss.

Interesting. I knew there had to be a reason behind the use other then the obvious and I suppose I just couldn't wrap my mind around it. Thanks guys.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    On TG Trader its all PT Barnum. They are looking for one of those suckers to pay new retail for their safe queens. I am amazed at all the "never fired" ads as well. shopping on trader is a waste of time, with or without a reserve. Then again there is one born every minute

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Some auction sites charge the seller based on starting price and then the commission from the sell itself. So if i want to avoid the fee on the starting price i can list it starting at $1 with a reserve of $250 because i wont take any less and that saves me the seller money if it sells.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Let me also add that historically, auctions that start w/a low opening bid tend to do better than those starting with a high one. Folks think "hey, I can get this CHEAP!", and bid - then others do the same. Pretty soon, you have several going against each other....and the fun REALLY starts.

Top Bottom