• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GRAYWOLF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Does one have to prove a need to exercise their Constitutional right to be armed?

you missed the point. if they can't get out long enough to take a 4 hour class how are the going to get out to take the initial 10 hour class?
    if they can't get out there is no reason to have a CHL. Nothing prevents them from having one around the house. my use of the word "need" pertains to complying with a law. there is no "need" to comply with a concealed carry law if you don't leave your property.

GRAYWOLF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    I am disabled and I do get out and able to lead a semi-active life but, it would be a hardship to sit through
    a renewal class.

.I don't see your point. the op was talking about people that can't get out because they are disabled. you said you get out...

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    you missed the point. if they can't get out long enough to take a 4 hour class how are the going to get out to take the initial 10 hour class?
    if they can't get out there is no reason to have a CHL. Nothing prevents them from having one around the house. my use of the word "need" pertains to complying with a law. there is no "need" to comply with a concealed carry law if you don't leave your property.

No, I didn't miss the point. I understood exactly what you were getting at. Your language regarding "need" sends out red flags to me and a lot of others. Lots of folks use the term "need" regarding what others should or should not do or be allowed to do or not do, and those folks are generally folks that want to decide about what others can do. I hope you don't miss my point!

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Texas Administrative Code
    TITLE 37 PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONS
    PART 1 TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
    CHAPTER 6 LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUNS
    SUBCHAPTER B ELIGIBILITY AND APPLICATION PROCEDURES
    RULE §6.15 Renewal of License

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(a) Grace period. An expired license may be renewed for up to one year after the expiration date. If the license has been expired for more than one year, the former license holder must submit an original license application to receive a license in the future.

(b) Notice of renewal. Renewal notices will be mailed to license holder no more than six (6) months before the expiration date to the address currently reported to the department by the applicant.

(c) Cost of renewal. The renewal fee for a license will be $70 except as otherwise provided by the Act.

mmabc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Texas Administrative Code
    TITLE 37 PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONS
    PART 1 TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
    CHAPTER 6 LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUNS
    SUBCHAPTER B ELIGIBILITY AND APPLICATION PROCEDURES
    RULE §6.15 Renewal of License

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(a) Grace period. An expired license may be renewed for up to one year after the expiration date. If the license has been expired for more than one year, the former license holder must submit an original license application to receive a license in the future.

(b) Notice of renewal. Renewal notices will be mailed to license holder no more than six (6) months before the expiration date to the address currently reported to the department by the applicant.

(c) Cost of renewal. The renewal fee for a license will be $70 except as otherwise provided by the Act.

Excellent! Thank you!

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    No, I am not. As long as there is a license required, ( we do not have Constitutional Carry in Texas) then having someone prove a minimal amount of proficiency every five years to maintain a license to carry is not unreasonable. Remember, one of the biggest advantages to a CHL is reciprocity with other states. If we lower our standards too much, we could lose that.

Fl has the same repricocity save minnesota and vermont I believe. I think you are over compicating stuff. The fact you even have to take a class puts you ahead of many. Classes for renewal are overkill. "Training" once a every few years will do nil to improve someone's skills so its just a pointless endeavour. Either make mandatory monthly or training hours required or get rid of the junk. The country as a whole is growing rapidly apart as it is, why have Texas split the middle? The lefties never give up stagnation is a failure in a war of attrition. It seems like this legislature is trying to move right, I'd back them fully on any endeavour pushing against the tide.

Top Bottom