• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolf6151

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Pearland, Tx.
    I own a custom rifle, Sako action that has a Shilen barrel. Without taking it to a gunsmith how would I remove the barrel from the action? I know it's screwed on but it's not as simple as turning a pipe wrench is it? Suggestions? Thanks.
    Texas SOT

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    I dont know the specifics of that brand but many of them you have to have a barrel wrench of some type. Why do you want to take the barrel off?

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    You will need a barrel block and an action wrench to remove it. They will cost as much as having a gunsmith remove it, reattach it and check headspace. If you are planning on doing a few, buy the tools. If you are doing it once, let someone else do it. Why are you wanting to remove the barrel?

Wolf6151

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Pearland, Tx.
    I want to take the action to a gunsmith to have another barrel put on for a future project rifle and thought that I'd take this barrel off first and just take the action to the gunsmith. I'm considering using this guy Precision Barrel Work - Custom Gunsmithing for Benchrest, Hunting and Varmint Rifles of Highest Quality in Hempstead to rebarrel the Sako action with a 26 in. barrel in .280 Rem. and a barrel contour like the M24/M40 Remington sniper rifle. I'm wanting to make a long range shooter. Opinions?

Swede

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Ft. Worth
    Suggestion - if you try it without the tools, the likely result is a buggered barrel. By having him do it, it probably won't cost you any more than the $$ quoted, AND the barrel can be saved for another project.

You've got to FIRMLY grip one piece or the other, and to do so without marring does require some specialized work. Good luck w/it!

Top Bottom