• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lairdoglencairn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2022
    Houston
    Totally new to reloading, don’t own any equipment (yet) but I’ve almost pulled the trigger on some equipment several times and I’m in the process of reading some of the more respected literature.

Can anyone (who knows what they are doing) point me in the direction of a YouTube channel that is reliable? There is a lot of material online and I’m sure like anything else, some of it is good and some of it is “less good!”

Thanks in advance!
    Guns International

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    For YouTube reloading channels, hickok45 has reliable info, a LOT of content, some of which are on the subject of reloading and geared toward beginners.

I'd also advise getting yourself reloading data books. Most powder and bullet vendors offer them. These data books usually include interesting and useful articles.

Some here on TGT use reloading software for their data bank.

Lastly, TGT members are very helpful and outgoing. I guarantee there are folks in your area who would enjoy meeting up with you to "talk shop," go to the range, or just meet for coffee, etc.

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    What are you looking to get from the Youtube videos? Guidance on technique/process, reviews of equipment/components, recommendations? I also highly recommend @TipBledsoe advice of picking up at least 2 reloading manuals and reading them (for process) in addition to the safe loading data in them. It isn't absolutely necessary, but there is no substitute to finding a reloading buddy/coach to talk to and work with early on. Again, not essential, but there are subtle details like how much lube to use on different cases when resizing, how deep to set primers, the right/wrong "feel" of a press stroke, etc. that you will learn faster by working directly with someone who can coach.

Back to your original question, recommendations for Youtube channels and other on-line resources may be better informed by knowing what specifically you are looking for. Welcome to reloading (and the rabbit hole if you take this to reloading of bottleneck cases for precision rifle ammo - grin)!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Further suggest the two manuals you buy be Lee and Lyman.
    Both are good manuals and have lots of load data for many manufacturers, as opposed to my Hornady manual which only has load data for Hornady bullets.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    I do not have any YT links but I am sure someone will chime in with some good ones shortly.
    Don't worry about being a novice. Reloading is just another skill that can be learned. And you are doing it right, educating yourself first.
    We all started not knowing how to load. And we all learned. NBD.

Btw, I have a spare Lee turret press if interested. With primer loaders etc.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Further suggest the two manuals you buy be Lee and Lyman.
    Both are good manuals and have lots of load data for many manufacturers, as opposed to my Hornady manual which only has load data for Hornady bullets.
    I must mirror this. Lyman, Lee, and Speer. They have been teaching and explaining reloading for 3 generations. Their information is empirically tested, and comprehensive. No voodoo or snake oil. They also address mistakes, pitfalls, and failures, and how to avoid them.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Before you buy a Lee manual if you buy one of their deluxe kits they come with a Lee manual. For example,
    which is a great starter kit.

I still use my Lee 4 hole turret press. Started on a Classic press, then graduated to the 4 hole. Should have started on the 4 hole press.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    I echo several others who have responded about the Lyman reloading manual. I use mine often for reference information and load data. I have been reloading 50 years and rely on the Lyman manual. Speer and Lee manuals also have their place alongside the Lyman.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I learned reloading under the supervision of a mentor. Youtub won't keep you from hurting yourself, your loads, blowing up your firearm or your garage.

Follow published recipes carefully, tho there is some "wiggle" room to the max load data, you can learn to experiment further once you really know what you are doing.

No smoking or drinking while reloading... no offense meant but it happens.

Use ladder loads for testing results before settling on a recipe that will be mass repeated.

Slow down. Speed at first is not your friend. Watch what you are doing very carefully... cases get stuck, primers fail to feed, powder fails to drop, etc. Good lighting is a must.

I recommend a single stage for accuracy loading of rifle rounds (RCBS is good). A Dillon progressive for faster production of 223/5.56 and pistol rounds.

Some powders meter better than others... for accuracy rounds, a powder trickler is important!

It's a lifelong learning process... take your time and enjoy your new hobby!!!

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Before you buy a Lee manual if you buy one of their deluxe kits they come with a Lee manual. For example,
    which is a great starter kit.
    Have you used this version of the kit? In my experience, the triangular priming system is absolute garbage. I didn’t care for the scale, or the powder measure, but those are both easily replaceable. Not being able to buy the older, circular priming system would be a deal breaker for me on a Lee press.experiences may vary though.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Look at different website like Brownells, Midway USA, Midsouth Shooters Supply, etc for reloader starter kits. Another tool to get is a good dial caliper.

As far as video instruction a good one is the one David Tubb put out a good number of years back. It’s mostly Sierra product he uses but it’s got a lot of good demonstrations on how he uses the tools.

It’s always best to learn this from a hands on instructor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I learned by getting a press, some dies, and a Speer manual from Vaquero. After I'd read the manual several times - started asking a lot of questions. My first rounds were very, very low power wadcutters 'cause I was worried. I worked up over time. I still think there are a lot of nuances that you won't get off the bat. I had no idea starting out the dramatic pressure differences you can get with different types of bullets. I thought 100 grain was 100 grain - pfft. If you can't find a mentor, follow the manuals EXPLICITLY! until you get some experience.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Have you used this version of the kit? In my experience, the triangular priming system is absolute garbage. I didn’t care for the scale, or the powder measure, but those are both easily replaceable. Not being able to buy the older, circular priming system would be a deal breaker for me on a Lee press.experiences may vary though.
    Yes I have both the older circular and triangular trays. I usually prime off press. My point was for the newbie that if he was going to buy a Lee kit like this that came with a Lee manual not to buy a separate Lee manual, just to save the money.I just ordered the Lee 6000 pro. Hopefully better than their AP pro.
    Definitely recommend Lyman manual. Realize that when you but a manual like Hornady reloading manual they specifically are for Hornady bullets.

Top Bottom