• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K.O Kid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Baytown
    Iv been reading and also watching a lot of videos about reloading and I keep hearing bad things about shooting reloaded ammunition in semi auto pistols.
    I have also seen an instance were a glock blew in a mans hand; and herd ehooting reloaded will void your manufacture warranty (even though i wonder how theyd know).So I was just wondering what you guys think about it before I actually make my mind up if id want to reload.

J
    Lynx Defense

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I can't think of any bad things associated with shooting my reloads.

Glocks can be harder on the brass do to the chamber and the barrels lead quickly, solve it with an aftermarket barrel.

Other than that, if you give more detail about the bad things you heard, it can probably be chocked up to someone being careless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    You're just getting bad information. Of course you have to be careful when reloading - or shooting - or using a chainsaw - or driving a car ....

But reloading for a semiauto has no inherent issues over any other reloading.

Now, having said that, I would not BUY reloads (like at a gun show) from somebody I didn't know. Most of the stories of big failures have come from shooting some idiot's reloads.

K.O Kid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Baytown
    I can't think of any bad things associated with shooting my reloads.

Glocks can be harder on the brass do to the chamber and the barrels lead quickly, solve it with an aftermarket barrel.

Other than that, if you give more detail about the bad things you heard, it can probably be chocked up to someone being careless.

Ive heard somtyimg to do with the case expanding to much causing them not to cycle well. But when I watch hickock 45 I see other wise :/

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ive heard somtyimg to do with the case expanding to much causing them not to cycle well. But when I watch hickock 45 I see other wise :/

What you are talking about sounds like a problem associated with neck sizing for rifles such as the AR-15. Full length sizing solves this problem and should be done for any rifle rounds used in semi auto rifles. Neck sizing is generally done to get slightly more accuracy.

Pistol calibers are all full length sized anyways. The case is belled at the top to allow easier bullet seating then crimped back down to the bullet.

Case expansion should have no effect on cycling the ammunition for straight wall calibers such as 9mm, .40, .45.

K.O Kid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Baytown
    You're just getting bad information. Of course you have to be careful when reloading - or shooting - or using a chainsaw - or driving a car ....

But reloading for a semiauto has no inherent issues over any other reloading.

Now, having said that, I would not BUY reloads (like at a gun show) from somebody I didn't know. Most of the stories of big failures have come from shooting some idiot's reloads.

So basicly if and when I choose to reload I should only shoot my own and not let anyone else fire them for legal reasons? ??lol

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I routinely reload .45, 9mm, .380 - used to load .40 also. No problems/issues with any of 'em - but I set 'em up VERY carefully, and don't get close to max loads, because I'm loading for accuracy, not blazin' speed/pressure.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    So basicly if and when I choose to reload I should only shoot my own and not let anyone else fire them for legal reasons? ??lol

You shouldn't shoot some else's reloads if you don't know or trust them.

Avoid lead bullets in guns with polygonal rifling (Glocks, H&K, Desert Eagle). Copper plated is fine.

natgas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    shoot your own loads, don't let anyone else shoot yours. Be very, very careful, read as many reloading books as you can, follow the manufacturer's specifications for loads, start low, work your way up.

It's fun and addicting and you can prepare some very good, accurate loads compared to store bought ammo

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Iv been reading and also watching a lot of videos about reloading and I keep hearing bad things about shooting reloaded ammunition in semi auto pistols.
    I have also seen an instance were a glock blew in a mans hand; and herd ehooting reloaded will void your manufacture warranty (even though i wonder how theyd know).So I was just wondering what you guys think about it before I actually make my mind up if id want to reload.

J

Start off with FMJ's don't mess with lead till you are more knowledgeable. The stories of Glocks blowing up in someone's hand are from a mistake they made during reloading, either a double charged round (which will blow up ANY gun), or a squib (which will get a bullet lodged in the barrel so when you fire the next one it creates an unbelievably high amount of pressure in your gun and blows it to pieces...again, something that can happen in ANY gun). So moral of the story is check, recheck, and triple check your powder charges in every round by visual inspection and weight, and you won't have that problem.

Glocks have a polygonal rifling (do I really know what that means? Nope...sure does sound intelligent though. Heard it on a forum about 100 times) which is succeptible to "leading" when shooting cast lead bullets. Excessive leading can lead to increases in pressure, which can also cause a KB. What I've been told is that shooting hard cast lead in a Glock is fine, it's soft lead that creates the problem. But since I am new to reloading, and to be perfectly honest with you the cost savings in buying cast lead bullets is not significant enough to take a risk, I just load with FMJ's. Many people do shoot hard cast lead in their Glocks though.

I am no expert and am very new to reloading but I can say this much I've loaded and shot about 1K rounds of 9mm using Titegroup with 115 grain FMJ's from Precision Delta and they shot perfectly in my Glock.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress

J

Glock .40's kaboom because the case is not fully supported.

It's happened with factory ammo and reloads. No need to fear the reload.

Use jacketed or plated bullets because they are cleaner to handle and clean up after.

Use a powder that will more than half fill the case so a double charge will obviously overflow.

Get a progressive so that each stage is automated, remove the human error from the equation.

Sent from me.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Lead will not cause problems as long as you get it all out of the barrel. When I reloaded for any Glocks I shot (none currently) I used FMJ or plated bullets 'cause I didn't want to do all the extra cleaning of the barrel. I "did" reload some and shot them through my G19 with absolutel no adverse side effects other that the cleaning. I read in one of my manuals that if you use "plated" (as opposed to FMJ) bullets you should use the formulas for lead bullets.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Glock .40's kaboom because the case is not fully supported.

It's happened with factory ammo and reloads. No need to fear the reload.

Use jacketed or plated bullets because they are cleaner to handle and clean up after.

Use a powder that will more than half fill the case so a double charge will obviously overflow.

Get a progressive so that each stage is automated, remove the human error from the equation.

Sent from me.

Can someone explain what they mean by an unsupported barrel? I have a G23 and would surely like to avoid a KB.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Can someone explain what they mean by an unsupported barrel? I have a G23 and would surely like to avoid a KB.

nuqydybe.jpg

Glock fixed the barrel support problem a long time ago so you should be good unless you are running a first gen 23.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Unsupported chamber, actually they are not fully supported.

It refers to how the feed ramp is cut in to the barrel so that a small portion of the case unsupported. The case expands and seals against the chamber walls. In glocks, a portion of the case at the back of the chamber has nothing to expand against cause ing what is known as "the Glock bulge".

Top Bottom