• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

drew02a

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    One thing, guys.....do NOT toss defective rounds into the trash! Take 'em by your local PD - they'll take them for safe & proper disposal w/o a question asked.

Yeah, I ended up drilling out the center of the bullet to remove the powder first. Was kinda curious to see the bullet composition anyway. For how cheap they were, the Ranier copper jacketing was reasonably thick.

BTW, I fired the first batch yesterday at the range, and they were great. No pressure signs in either barrel (Glock and Lone Wolf) and no exploding chambers; Time to step up the charge!

In case anyone is wondering what my baseline recipe was:
    180gr Ranier FMJ
    10.0gr Blue Dot powder
    CCI Large Pistol Primers
    1.25"OAL
    Heavy Crimp

Think I'm gonna increase the OAL for hunting rnds, but leave it at the min for defense loads for most reliable feeding. And now that I've made the first batch with cheap bullets, it's time to start working up a recipe for 135gr HPs :)

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    That cartridge head spaces on the forward end of the case neck so it would probably chamber safely. I wouldn't recommend shooting it. The biggest problem would be from compressing the powder charge which could cause high pressure. It definitely wouldn't feed in the firearm, though.

I agree with using the "eraser" hammer. I've seated bullets too deeply many times during setup and the eraser fixes the problem every time! If I have a bunch of cartridges to salvage, I use a collet type bullet puller but the inertia (hammer) type is required equipment for a reloading bench for jobs like this.

Flash

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Looks like a compressed load to me...
    ;)

Is it supposed to look like this!?

2012-06-04_13-14-15_85.jpg

Not changing the depth of your seating die from .40 S&W to 10mm = reloading fail,

The rest came out great. Can't wait to go test them at the range

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Yeah, I ended up drilling out the center of the bullet to remove the powder first. Was kinda curious to see the bullet composition anyway. For how cheap they were, the Ranier copper jacketing was reasonably thick.

BTW, I fired the first batch yesterday at the range, and they were great. No pressure signs in either barrel (Glock and Lone Wolf) and no exploding chambers; Time to step up the charge!

In case anyone is wondering what my baseline recipe was:
    180gr Ranier FMJ
    10.0gr Blue Dot powder
    CCI Large Pistol Primers
    1.25"OAL
    Heavy Crimp

Think I'm gonna increase the OAL for hunting rnds, but leave it at the min for defense loads for most reliable feeding. And now that I've made the first batch with cheap bullets, it's time to start working up a recipe for 135gr HPs :)

WTF????!!!!!!!!

You DRILLED out the bullet??? On a LIVE round??? Seriously??

No pressure signs on the barrels?? You expect the barrel to bulge? You look at the case for signs of high pressure.

There is a serious gap between what you know and what you need to know in order to reload safely. I don't normally flame somebody on here, but if I don't I would be guilty of allowing you to harm yourself and maybe others around you.

For reasons I don't fathom, reloading doesn't seem to get a lot of attention on TGT. Here's an idea for an experiment for you - if you think I'm not being "fair" with you: Post the same things you post here on a reloading message board and see how many people flame you. The posts may look like a torch procession.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Gotta agree here.....you were damned lucky not to have been seriously injured pullin' that stunt.

You need ta put that sumbitch away NOW - and spend the next several weeks (at minimum) reading about reloading, then another month or two with an experience reloader learning about it. What you just did was beyond a dumb stunt.

drew02a

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    WTF????!!!!!!!!

You DRILLED out the bullet??? On a LIVE round??? Seriously??

No pressure signs on the barrels?? You expect the barrel to bulge? You look at the case for signs of high pressure.

There is a serious gap between what you know and what you need to know in order to reload safely. I don't normally flame somebody on here, but if I don't I would be guilty of allowing you to harm yourself and maybe others around you.

For reasons I don't fathom, reloading doesn't seem to get a lot of attention on TGT. Here's an idea for an experiment for you - if you think I'm not being "fair" with you: Post the same things you post here on a reloading message board and see how many people flame you. The posts may look like a torch procession.

I'm not gonna debate in depth the safety of drilling out a live rnd, but I'll say that throughout the process it was less disturbed than if it had been dropped on the ground.

Next lets talk about a little thing called chamber support. Barrels from different manufacturers have different amounts of chamber support. Barrels from Lone Wolf for example have better chamber support than Glock OEM. This means that hot rounds will behave differently in different barrels. So, by testing my rounds first in the Lone Wolf barrel then in the Glock OEM barrel and comparing the two sets of BRASS side by side, I'm able to observe any differences in pressure signs such as the notorious "Glock Smile". Make sense to you?

I know you are all well intentioned, but I have a history of reloading and have done plenty of reading (actual reading, you know, like books and shit), as a refresher before startting my own setup.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Please don't pull that drilling the bullet stunt again then tell us that you are experienced, knowledgeable and assure us that it's all OK. If you knew it all, why the Hell did you ask? The salvaged components were worth about a dime and you risked a lot to reclaim that. My heart skipped a beat when I read that post!

It's OK to make mistakes but we would be negligent if we failed to flag unsafe reloading practices........so that's what we did.

Primer signs are the easiest indicator to read chamber pressure. There is plenty of stuff to research in that subject.

Here's what you need. It's basic stuff for a cartridge reloader. There are other brands but I have used this one and give it a thumbs up. My old RCBS puller cracked and the new RCBS unit has a plastic handle shank so I bought this one to replace it. The Frankfort Arsenal brand puller is just $14.

Mag Impact Bullet Puller

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/215517/frankford-arsenal-impact-bullet-puller

Flash

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Drew, sometimes it's easier to step out of a shallow hole, you don't have to keep digging deeper to show everyone you know how.

Go buy a bullet puller, and don't try that stupid shit again. Reloading requires major league attention to detail, take a step back, as some have suggested, and reevaluate what you did and quit trying to justify your actions. You will become a better re-loader in the process, and possibly save you from a more serious accident.

drew02a

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    If you knew it all, why the Hell did you ask?...

Did I "ask" a real question in this thread?

I'm NOT gonna promote drilling out bullets as a good solution. Here's an example of some tards who did it with severe consequences:
    2 teens hurt by explosion while drilling into bullet

Unlike the tards, I used a drill press at low speeds (less heat), wore safety equip (goggles, welding gloves, thick long sleeved shirt), and checked the drill bit temp before it punched all the way through. This wasn't done in an attempt to reclaim reloading components, but rather to demil live ammo before I put it in the trash can (actually dropped it an old water bottel that was half full, then put that in the trash).

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Drilling the soft metal isn't a big deal. Not my first method, but it's not like sparks are going to be shooting off in all directions and the powder itself was concealed from the predominance of the drilling.

I do agree a bullet puller is a wise and superior choice, but let's not dog pile someone.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    D54G