• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mp_tx

Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    I just got a forever gun. 6” 1968 Colt Python worked over by Reeves Jungkind for PPC competitions. It was kind of an ugly duckling sitting in the display case, with the Bomar riser and oddly shaped trigger, and marked as Double Action only. In fact, after looking at it, I passed on it at first.

That night, I did some research on Double Action Only Pythons, and stumbled on some pics of Pythons worked over by RJ. He brazed bronze into the crescent of the trigger, and also added bronze to the back of the trigger, to act as an over travel stop. Learned he was good about marking all the Pythons with his initials in a circle, stamped in the frame under the grips. Learned about RJ—ex military, got on with Texas Highway Patrol, and after retirement returned as their Firearms Instuctor. Stayed local to Central Texas. Worked on Pythons on the side, and is considered by many as the top Python gunsmith of all time. Unfortunately, he passed in 2013, and heard he was working on them at a much lower pace almost right up to his death.

With this new information and with my wife’s blessing, I returned the following day hoping it would still be in the case. It was. I was able to have the grip removed, and confirmed it was an RJ gun. Two stamps, so it’s possible it came through his shop twice.

At any rate, I bought it at an unbelievable price. I will give this pistol a good home. It has an indescribable DAO trigger pull. Like glass, light, and no stacking at all. I can’t wait to shoot it. Sorry for bragging, but I am pretty stoked to have an RJ gun. If you know, you know.
    Lynx Defense

mp_tx

Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Skeezix

Aug 17, 2023
    Houston
    I just got a forever gun. 6” 1968 Colt Python worked over by Reeves Jungkind for PPC competitions. It was kind of an ugly duckling sitting in the display case, with the Bomar riser and oddly shaped trigger, and marked as Double Action only. In fact, after looking at it, I passed on it at first.

That night, I did some research on Double Action Only Pythons, and stumbled on some pics of Pythons worked over by RJ. He brazed bronze into the crescent of the trigger, and also added bronze to the back of the trigger, to act as an over travel stop. Learned he was good about marking all the Pythons with his initials in a circle, stamped in the frame under the grips. Learned about RJ—ex military, got on with Texas Highway Patrol, and after retirement returned as their Firearms Instuctor. Stayed local to Central Texas. Worked on Pythons on the side, and is considered by many as the top Python gunsmith of all time. Unfortunately, he passed in 2013, and heard he was working on them at a much lower pace almost right up to his death.

With this new information and with my wife’s blessing, I returned the following day hoping it would still be in the case. It was. I was able to have the grip removed, and confirmed it was an RJ gun. Two stamps, so it’s possible it came through his shop twice.

At any rate, I bought it at an unbelievable price. I will give this pistol a good home. It has an indescribable DAO trigger pull. Like glass, light, and no stacking at all. I can’t wait to shoot it. Sorry for bragging, but I am pretty stoked to have an RJ gun. If you know, you know.
    Excellent and congrats! Nothing satisfys like getting the piece you always wanted!!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Since the people who recognized the name in the title are probably the only ones who clicked on this thread this is probably the best place to ask.

Reeves Jungkind was the greatest (classic) Colt 'smith who ever lived. Who's the best currently alive and actively working?

Top Bottom