• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I currently have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 40mm BDC scope on my LAR-308. Very happy with the scope and looking to get another for a different rifle. Infact, Academy is blowing them out for $130.00. While I was there, I saw Academy had the Redfield 4-12 40mm for $219. I would like to have a 12x magnifier which Nikon had their 12x Prostaff BDC, but it's been hard to find.

Since most of my experience has been with the Nikon Prostaff, how does the Redfield compare?
    I see the Redfield is USA made product and has a lifetime warranty. But I wonder how it compares to the Nikon's light transmission?
    Texas SOT

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Nikon is probably better glass. It's hard to say ... you can have excellent daylight vision, and have pretty lame low-light at the same time. I ran around with a Schmidt & Bender PMII today and because it's first focal it's worthless for low-light and full-field usage. My Nightforce is right at home in the dark and it's a 3mm smaller tube and about $1300 less, but the daylight clarity isn't as sharp.

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    I had a redfield revolution that I had mounted on my AK. I loved it! Very clear and its made by leuopold. I ended up selling it to get a red dot to mount instead, but if I ever decide to scope another rifle I will be buying a Revolution. I promise you wont be disappointed.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    They are both cheap scopes at low prices. You get what you pay for. With say a $1500 scope at 12x you should expect to see bullet holes at 400 yards. I would not expect to get close to that only spending $200. Clarity is more important than magnification. I have seen 4X scopes outshoot 10X scopes because its all about seeing the target and not making it appear bigger and fuzzy.
    Now for your situation I say go for it. Try the redfield. Take it to the range with your scoped rifle and shoot at 100-300. Look at the target with both scopes and judge for yourself. Look at targets 100 yds away at dusk and full dark with both. Write a review for us. Ed to say Academy will take back an unmounted scope and there is no need to mount it to see how good it is.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I've got a redfield 2-7 on my AR. is all right. I was looking for a cheap scope to put on possibly my .22 after I get a red dot (hopefully soon). Its not as nice as the Nikon Buckmaster (3-9) that I've got (but the buckmaster is another $100 or so).

Both are scopes work for slaying deer. I'm not a loing distance shooter. I'd probably get some better glass if I was.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I have a 3x9 on my 6.8 spc AR, it's got the accupoint reticle. It's probably one of the best scopes I own, it's clear and had held zero even after being taken off and on a few times. I would give one a shot, worst case you can always resell it if you hate it. I may get one for my saiga Ver 21 if they are selling them cheap like that.

MR 450BUSHMASTER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Richmond, TX
    I've also got one of the 3x9's with accurange recticle. I've got it setup with my 450BM that I use to hunt hogs at night with an ND3 mounted on it. I can't say much about light transmission on a Nikon as I do not own one, but the Redfield does all I need it to do at night with the aid of the ND3. I was looking at getting something with a 50mm lens to use with this setup, but the 40mm Redfield really works great - day or night.

Bill

IMG-20110405-00076.jpg

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I got the Redfield 2-7x33 on my new Ruger 10/22. The pros at Powderhorn (a great local gunshop in San Antonio) went on and on about how great Redfield is and how inexpensive they are.

Here's the Redfield on my new 10/22:

IMG00539-20110506-1751.jpg

Top Bottom