• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Expect to spend time learning a new skill, depending on eye sight (age?) it will make a world of difference.
    What new skill would that be and using what type of sight? My eyesight basically sucks and I'm in my 70s so it's not likely to get better. The laser is great for up close, defensive distances and is very easy and quick to learn. I can't see using these sights as laborious, especially if the shooter has some years of shooting behind them. Red and green dot sights have been around for quite some time.
    ARJ Defense ad

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Training issues aside, it's Trijicon FTW if you choose to use a MRD...

I'm running both the Trijicon RMR 06-Type 2 and Holosun 508T (green), and while they're both nice, the RMR is far superior IMHO (and way sleeker/slimmer).

Main consideration (for me) is greater precision at longer ranges...

Just my .02

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    What new skill would that be and using what type of sight? My eyesight basically sucks and I'm in my 70s so it's not likely to get better. The laser is great for up close, defensive distances and is very easy and quick to learn. I can't see using these sights as laborious, especially if the shooter has some years of shooting behind them. Red and green dot sights have been around for quite some time.

I absolutely hated the RDS I tried on a pistol the first time.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    How does one get information overload from a red dot laser? Not being sarcastic, just not understanding. I like the laser cause you know exactly where the dot is, and therefore where the bullet is (or very close to it). And besides being a both-eyes-open sight for where the bullet should go, it allows one to see the object, bad guy, as well as anyone around where one is shooting (good or bad).
    The finer 3.25 moa dot appears to move and shake around a lot more than the larger 6 moa dot. Like I said, it's probably not something that would bother everyone, just noting something that I personally have noticed. I disliked using a laser for the same reason. The red dot is not different than the laser that where you point it is where it'll hit, basically.

I should also note that I do like the 3.25 for when I don't have my glasses on because the bloom makes it a reasonable size, while the bloom on the 6 is way too much

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    How does one get information overload from a red dot laser? Not being sarcastic, just not understanding. I like the laser cause you know exactly where the dot is, and therefore where the bullet is (or very close to it). And besides being a both-eyes-open sight for where the bullet should go, it allows one to see the object, bad guy, as well as anyone around where one is shooting (good or bad).
    I have had a lot of private classes with folks that use lasers( hell, I have a CT laser saddle on my shockwave, makes it very easy to shoot from hip) and 100% of them have grown completely dependent on the laser for shot placement.

Doing shoot/don’t shoot drills with the battery out of their laser every one of them took a second or three to try to find the red or green dot before actually pulling the trigger, usually only to miss completely.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I have had a lot of private classes with folks that use lasers( hell, I have a CT laser saddle on my shockwave, makes it very easy to shoot from hip) and 100% of them have grown completely dependent on the laser for shot placement.

Doing shoot/don’t shoot drills with the battery out of their laser every one of them took a second or three to try to find the red or green dot before actually pulling the trigger, usually only to miss completely.
    Are you talking from the hip firing @ 3-5' range?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    One can always go back to the iron sights to find the dot. Laser dot should be pretty close to the irons, especially at close distances.
    Not if you have grown completely dependent on the laser and then try drills with the batteries out. ;) and almost everyone I have ever worked with on shooting skills that uses a laser this has been true on

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I am talking about bringing the gun up, and 1-3 seconds of hesitation while looking for the green or red dot before actually shooting and often completely missing the target.
    I can see where that could get a person dead! I've got a laser on one of my practice guns. I got it dialed in - then turned it off. If I'm having a particularly bad session I'll flip it back on, shoot a couple of mags to remind me what the sight picture should look like. Then turn it back off. Right now, under no stress shooting I'm waaaay better with the laser but - I don't want to be dependent on it.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I can see where that could get a person dead! I've got a laser on one of my practice guns. I got it dialed in - then turned it off. If I'm having a particularly bad session I'll flip it back on, shoot a couple of mags to remind me what the sight picture should look like. Then turn it back off. Right now, under no stress shooting I'm waaaay better with the laser but - I don't want to be dependent on it.
    If you are in the 3’-6’ range( where most deadly force encounters occur) bringing the gun up into a traditional shooters stance , imo, puts your gun in the hands of the person you are drawing it on.
    This is why all of my “oh shit” training at this distance is done from retention.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Yup... One of the things I did learn at the snafu of a 3 day exercise was... 1 - 5' as soon as the weapon clears the holster turn it side ways and at hip level start firing and continue firing as you start putting distance between you and the threat while simultaneously raise the weapon to the traditional position.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I am talking about bringing the gun up, and 1-3 seconds of hesitation while looking for the green or red dot before actually shooting and often completely missing the target.
    Thats the problem I have with lasers and why I don't use them. I refer to it as an information overload, because I'm looking for the laser, then trying to steady my shot because the laser is all over the place,, etc, when in reality people are just shaky but its still generally stable enough that it doesn't matter and should take the shot forever ago.

Follow up shots aren't any better for me with a laser, because I can follow the laser on the recoil instead of focusing on what I should be. I'm sure people do fine with them, but they're not for me.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Yup... One of the things I did learn at the snafu of a 3 day exercise was... 1 - 5' as soon as the weapon clears the holster turn it side ways and at hip level start firing and continue firing as you start putting distance between you and the threat while simultaneously raise the weapon to the traditional position.
    Good to hear it was not a total waste

uilim

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    missouri city texas
    As a person who 1st carried in the late 70’s a 1911a1 that I will take whatever advantage I can get. My irons co-witness with my MRDS plus the green laser is out there as added benefit. I wasn’t sure it would work good but it does.
    FCCAA865-3017-460E-BEBF-08BEF7871D21.jpeg
    54647248-C46E-4190-827C-97646A7A6C58.jpeg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom